Photo

Who would take back Clarkson (at a discounted rate)?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

He scored almost all those 15 goals in the first half half of a half season, then disappeared. By your logic then he is really a 60 goal scorer. At most I would expect him to score 10-15 goals a season and we have plenty of guys who do that. We need consistent 30+ goal scorers.

Exactly what I was going to counter with. He got ridiculously hot for a while after the lookout ended then disappeared for the rest of the year (especially when the team needed him to score down the stretch).

I think Clarkson's a great person, he did a lot of great off-ice stuff for the fans and charities. But he's not the kind of player the Devils need going forward.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#22 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

He scored almost all those 15 goals in the first half half of a half season, then disappeared.  By your logic then he is really a 60 goal scorer.  At most I would expect him to score 10-15 goals a season and we have plenty of guys who do that.  We need consistent 30+ goal scorers.

Your math is off. He scored 15 goals in half a season. If he scored them in the first half of the half season, and not in the second, its still 15, not 30. I'm not saying he is a 60 goal scorer, that makes no sense. 

So he scored too many goals too fast and not enough later? That doesn't make sense either. If statistics can be used for anything, its as an average. In his last two years as a Devil,, he averaged nearly 30 goals per full season, or 15 per half season, or however you want to call it. What are you basing your estimation of his goal total on, just your opinion combined with the crappy year he has had?

You don't think an extra 15 goals early in the season, especially some of those one goal losses, wouldn't have helped? 

Besides, have you watched the last 3 games? I'd take an inconsistent 30 goal scorer right now.

Edited by mfitz804, 19 March 2014 - 09:06 AM.

#23 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

And lets not forget, his 30 in 2011-12 were 3rd on the team behind Kovalchuk (37) and Parise (31). His 15 in 2012-13 made him number one on the team. 

Seeing as we don't have another 30 goal scorer, I see no basis for not taking him back IF they ate some of the contract as proposed. 

#24 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

And lets not forget, his 30 in 2011-12 were 3rd on the team behind Kovalchuk (37) and Parise (31). His 15 in 2012-13 made him number one on the team. 

Seeing as we don't have another 30 goal scorer, I see no basis for not taking him back IF they ate some of the contract as proposed. 

I didn't forget, you you seem to forgot his 12, 11, and 17 goals in his previous 3 seasons and 4 goals this season.

He is not a 30-goal scorer, let alone a 20-goal scorer, expect for that one fluke season in 11-12.  He will continue to be on average a 10-15 goal-scorer.

#25 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

Yeah, he should fix all the speed, offense, transition game and puck control issues we've been having.

Clarkson sucks.  Thanks for the memories.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#26 jonnyd91

jonnyd91

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

10 points in 48 game on an offensive minded team....

Jk0t50k.gif

#27 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Dropping a one-time 30 goal scorer onto a team doesn't just add 30 goals to the team's total. We all see that with Ryder this year.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#28 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Dropping a one-time 30 goal scorer onto a team doesn't just add 30 goals to the team's total. We all see that with Ryder this year.

This. If his game filled a void on this team, year, take him. It doesn't. He's probably better than Ruutu, but not as much as we think, and they're not that much different. If they were paid similar amounts (Clarkie a little more, but not much) and we could get rid of Ruutu, maybe Clarkson would come in handy. As it is, though, it would be a move to make a move, or a sentimental ex-Devil signing, just like all the moves we've flamed Lou for in the past.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#29 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

hmm... I would trade some of the dead weight we currently have to have him back... I mean being how half of the forwards on this team are garbage anyway why not
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#30 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

He scored almost all those 15 goals in the first half half of a half season, then disappeared.  By your logic then he is really a 60 goal scorer.  At most I would expect him to score 10-15 goals a season and we have plenty of guys who do that.  We need consistent 30+ goal scorers.

Lol. I don't consider Clarkson a 30 goal scorer (15-20) but this is one of the most ridiculous posts of the year. It makes absolutely no sense.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#31 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,503 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

To get Clarkson back, the Leafs would have to pick up half the salary and NJ would have to trade them Clowe, picking up 40% of his salary, and this deal would have to happen after July 1 so that Clarkson's yearly bonus is paid out already by the Leafs.  That's the only way I consider it.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#32 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

To get Clarkson back, the Leafs would have to pick up half the salary and NJ would have to trade them Clowe, picking up 40% of his salary, and this deal would have to happen after July 1 so that Clarkson's yearly bonus is paid out already by the Leafs.  That's the only way I consider it.

There you go, I'd do that.

#33 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

face it we're stuck with clowe. and his horrid contract

#34 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

At this point, I'd rather just have Clowe. He's slow, but a better skater, he can pass (on purpose, not on missed wraparounds) and he doesn't spend all game staring at the officials. He's also put of several 50 point seasons.

In a full 82 game season, he'd be on pace for 44 points this year, while Clarkson would be looking at around 17, and Clowe plays on an offensively inferior team. It looks like we already got the best of Clarkson.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#35 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Lol. I don't consider Clarkson a 30 goal scorer (15-20) but this is one of the most ridiculous posts of the year. It makes absolutely no sense.

How so?  Others seem to comprehend it fine.

#36 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,503 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

face it we're stuck with clowe. and his horrid contract

In the new system, almost no contracts are unmoveable because you can split the money.  Clowe's contract with NJ picking up half would certainly move somewhere.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#37 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

How so?  Others seem to comprehend it fine.

Because you take the sample as is. You don't look for distribution throughout the sample. 30 goals scored in 82 games, all scored in the first 41 is the EXACT same thing as 30 goals scored throughout the season. That's the most basic rule of statistics. By your (non) logic Clarkson would not score 60 goals, he would score 30 goals in the first half of the season again. Which of course, also makes no sense statistically. 

#38 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Because you take the sample as is. You don't look for distribution throughout the sample. 30 goals scored in 82 games, all scored in the first 41 is the EXACT same thing as 30 goals scored throughout the season. That's the most basic rule of statistics. By your (non) logic Clarkson would not score 60 goals, he would score 30 goals in the first half of the season again. Which of course, also makes no sense statistically. 

And you would see I was being sarcastic and doing what you are trying to do to me to the original poster who was insisting that Clarkson is a 30-goal scorer.

But I still love you.

#39 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

And you would see I was being sarcastic and doing what you are trying to do to me to the original poster who was insisting that Clarkson is a 30-goal scorer.

But I still love you.

Love you too Dman but I do understand what you meant.

I don't mean to say that you were serious about him being a 60 goal scorer, but that your assertion that HIS logic means Clarky would score 60, is illogical.

#40 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Love you too Dman but I do understand what you meant.

I don't mean to say that you were serious about him being a 60 goal scorer, but that your assertion that HIS logic means Clarky would score 60, is illogical.

hmmmm touche

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users