Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#122 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

The Oakland Raiders "black hole" comes to mind. The Raiders can't be mentioned without them now. Even highlights will usually include a cut to them. (not that there's much to see with the Raiders otherwise... haha)

That's because the Raiders have been soo terrible and have given the media nothing to talk about since John Madden was their coach.  If the Raiders had a successful team and won a SB or 2 over the past 30 years, the focus wouldn't be soo much on the fans as it would be on the product they put on the field.

For example, people used to talk about the Eagles' fans all the time, and about the jail/courtroom that they have in their stadium, but as their team has gotten better you almost never hear about it anymore.  It may be a story from time to time, but the play on the field is the main story now.  The Raiders have sucked (sorry if I offended anyone here by using that term) so bad for so long, that their fans have become the best thing for the media to focus on when describing the team.  It's pathetic. 

Posted Image

#123 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

The difference is these buildings/teams have better fan bases because they are more knowledgeable. Want to know why you didn't hear SHOOOT! in Minnesota? Well, there you go. Less noise yelling something stupid. After 24 years of buying NHL tickets, knowledgeable fans have a lot to do with atmosphere and noise and i do not see how this is even a debate. The Devils do not have a knowledgeable fanbase and i truly believe this atmosphere some people want to create is a way to cover this aspect up. 

Are you saying you want less noise?  Once again I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  I agree our fanbase is not knowledgeable, and that is annoying.  I also wish we had a louder crowd.  There isn't an inverse relationship between a crowd's energy and their knowledge of hockey.  There were no buffoons yelling, "Shoot" at the Wild game, but the crowd was very energetic.  The games I went to in Montreal, Chicago, and Minnesota for the most part had knowledgeable fans, and they were all also very loud, which is what made them memorable.

Those two examples are great examples of what I would consider a good atmosphere.  People were in great spirits, were loud and it was devoid of a lot of the obnoxiousness that comes with a lot of people's definition of atmosphere.

You are right as it is a general sports drift and I agree with Phil Mushnick who has written about it quite a bit as to the origins.  Basically it started when ESPN a while ago decided to focus on the crowd almost or just as much as the players.  When the cameras are on the crowd, whoi usually gets face time?  It's usually the body-painted, drunken, me-me-me type people and this is what most people come to think of what a real "hard-core" fan really is.

I wish the place was louder, much like those examples you cited, but I do not wish for more drunken obnoxiousness.  The two are not synonymous.  What made those nights great were the energy and the supportive nature of the crowd.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#124 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

Are you saying you want less noise?  Once again I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  I agree our fanbase is not knowledgeable, and that is annoying.  I also wish we had a louder crowd.  There isn't an inverse relationship between a crowd's energy and their knowledge of hockey.  There were no buffoons yelling, "Shoot" at the Wild game, but the crowd was very energetic.  The games I went to in Montreal, Chicago, and Minnesota for the most part had knowledgeable fans, and they were all also very loud, which is what made them memorable.

I wish the place was louder, much like those examples you cited, but I do not wish for more drunken obnoxiousness.  The two are not synonymous.  What made those nights great were the energy and the supportive nature of the crowd.

Yes, i believe there is something to this. It's opinion, of course.

Raleigh during the 2009 Playoffs. The crowd is cheering icings and stoppages in play, among other mundane things like the game depended on it. The building felt more like an NCAA game then a hockey game. They cheered to cheer. There wasn't even any substance to most of it only to see if they could make the most possible noise they could.

Minnesota is a great crowd. Passionate and respectful. You could tell they did not feel the need to be overly obnoxious (although there's always a few). But, that's also Minnesota. I've spent time out there on business and it's a great place to visit and the people are great.

Montreal is the best in the league. Loud, but knowledgeable and respectful. Love the suits and ties worn and the aura of a Saturday Night game. Perhaps some smugness but that's the French anyway and when you've got rafters full of Cups, you can be smug. They weren't cheering icings or to hear themselves cheer. It was a great experience. If the Devils crowds were even near that, it would be ideal. 

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#125 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

I'm still unclear as to what your ideal game atmosphere is.  You're saying you can have a loud crowd or a knowledgeable crowd, but you can't have both?

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#126 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

I'm still unclear as to what your ideal game atmosphere is.  You're saying you can have a loud crowd or a knowledgeable crowd, but you can't have both?

No. I am not saying that. I am saying that you can have a loud crowd in one place (Carolina) and a loud crowd in others (Minnesota/Montreal) and you're able to tolerate one over the other because it's a different type of atmosphere. I'd rather be in a loud atmosphere that isn't loud for the sheer sake of being loud. Be selective based on knowledge and respect for the game and players. I mean i can't say it anymore clean then that.

#127 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

No. I am not saying that. I am saying that you can have a loud crowd in one place (Carolina) and a loud crowd in others (Minnesota/Montreal) and you're able to tolerate one over the other because it's a different type of atmosphere. I'd rather be in a loud atmosphere that isn't loud for the sheer sake of being loud. Be selective based on knowledge and respect for the game and players. I mean i can't say it anymore clean then that.

Well you certainly could have said it more clearly before because you said there is an inverse relationship between crowd noise and crowd knowledge.  I don't mind a crowd being loud all the time.  To me that has nothing to do with obnoxious drunks or people yelling "SHOOT!"

--John Buccigross

#128 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:24 PM

Well you certainly could have said it more clearly before because you said there is an inverse relationship between crowd noise and crowd knowledge.  I don't mind a crowd being loud all the time.  To me that has nothing to do with obnoxious drunks or people yelling "SHOOT!"

It's also 12:23 AM lol. That and a few drinks i needed wearing off after watching more garbage earlier in the night.

#129 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

journey dont stop believing start at or around "dont stop"

see ya next year.

Posted Image

#130 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

The part you are not quite understanding is that not everyone has the same definition of whats good :atmosphere" at the arena. I doubt even the dead-set anti-"You suck" crowd would want a library of an arena, but not everyone enjoys the obnoxious atmosphere of a college basketball game either. There are games I attend simply because the game will be quieter and not filled with the obnoxious college crowd and the silly man-children to basically ruin my enjoyment and be in constant fear of having someone killing my eardrums or drunkenly spilling crap all over me. That's not fun to me and it's not fun to many others and you have to respect that as well.

Years ago (I am saying like 10+ years) I think there was a happy medium for the most part on a lot of game nights, but now it seems there are just two types of crowds: the quiet library one and the college basketball obnoxious crap crowd.

this is fair.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#131 JSR

JSR

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

Something by The Gaslight Anthem.  They're awesome and local.

#132 Joe B

Joe B

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

sorry for bumping this,  but weird al has a new song out that would be perfect.  1:09 - 1:39 is perfect for our fanbase.  

Try and add a you suck to it.  I dare you.

http://www.funnyordi...vic-sports-song

Sad thing is that I'm only half joking

I'm

I

Joe

#133 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

Edit: never mind

Edited by Martyisth3b3st, 19 July 2014 - 11:50 AM.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#134 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

sorry for bumping this, but weird al has a new song out that would be perfect. 1:09 - 1:39 is perfect for our fanbase.

Try and add a you suck to it. I dare you.

http://www.funnyordi...vic-sports-song

Sad thing is that I'm only half joking

I'm

I

Weird al, not family friendly enough with this song accordin to the devils

#135 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

This is one that didn't need to be bumped.

Just briefly going through some pages of this thread...yikes.  Got ugly.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#136 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Who cares , if the offense is anything like last year, they'll barely be playing it.

#137 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

Lowereedddd expect taaaaationnnnnssss

#138 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,116 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

Mildly curious to see how a new song gets chosen this year. 

I'd like to see the vuvuzelas get the heave-ho more than anything else...the Diablos' main vuvu guy insists on blowing on it constantly and in annoying proportions, and he's like a five-year-old with thundersticks...he seems to be incapable of figuring out when enough is enough.  As much as I think the Diablos are kind of lame (like I've said, they're some stuffed-suit's interpretation of an "enthusiatic fan group"...nothing terribly genuine about them), without the vuvuzelas they're much easier to take.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 20 July 2014 - 10:32 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#139 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

I'd like to see the vuvuzelas get the heave-ho more than anything else...the Diablos' main vuvu guy insists on blowing on it constantly and in annoying proportions, and he's like a five-year-old with thundersticks...he seems to be incapable of figuring out when enough is enough.  As much as I think the Diablos are kind of lame (like I've said, they're some stuffed-suit's interpretation of a "enthusiatic fan group...nothing terribly genuine about them), without the vuvuzelas they're much easier to take.

My guess is rigged vote like last year. 

And super agree on the vuvu guy. My seats were in the next section and that got brutal after a while. It definitely factored into my decision to move if I renewed. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#140 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

I'd like to see the vuvuzelas get the heave-ho more than anything else...the Diablos' main vuvu guy insists on blowing on it constantly and in annoying proportions, and he's like a five-year-old with thundersticks...he seems to be incapable of figuring out when enough is enough. As much as I think the Diablos are kind of lame (like I've said, they're some stuffed-suit's interpretation of an "enthusiatic fan group"...nothing terribly genuine about them), without the vuvuzelas they're much easier to take.

Pretty sure one of the few things everyone here agrees on is that the vuvuzela guy is really annoying. The only people that seem not to mind it so much are the ones who sit on the opposite end of the arena and can't hear it that well lol. I'm fine with it being used sparingly, but when the guy's blasting away on it for 2 mins straight on the pk it's unbearable.

We should get that number the devils put up on the scoreboard for feedback on the game experience on here and all text it during a game next season complaining that the vuvuzela is really, really annoying. That and about how blasting music during the intermission is unnecessary and completely ruins any chance at having a normal conversation with whoever you're at the game with. Those two things are my top two complaints about the game day experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users