224 replies to this topic

#141 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

The Diablos in general are pretty weak...if I'm a Rangers fan or a Flyers fan coming into the building, I see the Diablos and think "Oh please." 

The vuvus are just as bad on TV as they are live too (and I agree about the PK).  I could tolerate "sparingly", but the tool who blows on it has no idea what sparingly entails.

Kinda hoping the vuvu thing is a fad that will soon run its course. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#142 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

Pretty sure one of the few things everyone here agrees on is that the vuvuzela guy is really annoying. The only people that seem not to mind it so much are the ones who sit on the opposite end of the arena and can't hear it that well lol. I'm fine with it being used sparingly, but when the guy's blasting away on it for 2 mins straight on the pk it's unbearable.

We should get that number the devils put up on the scoreboard for feedback on the game experience on here and all text it during a game next season complaining that the vuvuzela is really, really annoying. That and about how blasting music during the intermission is unnecessary and completely ruins any chance at having a normal conversation with whoever you're at the game with. Those two things are my top two complaints about the game day experience.

Actually, before I moved out of the area last year, I HATED that friggen thing and I used to sit behind the shoots twice net.

The copy cats are even worse when they show up, scattered throughout the arena.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#143 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

Pretty sure one of the few things everyone here agrees on is that the vuvuzela guy is really annoying. The only people that seem not to mind it so much are the ones who sit on the opposite end of the arena and can't hear it that well lol. I'm fine with it being used sparingly, but when the guy's blasting away on it for 2 mins straight on the pk it's unbearable.

We should get that number the devils put up on the scoreboard for feedback on the game experience on here and all text it during a game next season complaining that the vuvuzela is really, really annoying. That and about how blasting music during the intermission is unnecessary and completely ruins any chance at having a normal conversation with whoever you're at the game with. Those two things are my top two complaints about the game day experience.

Agreed with all of that. The music is ridiculous.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#144 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

I tried to not mind the vuvuzela, I understand its use on the "Kill!" chant, which I like. But he ruins a lot of "Let's go Devils!" chants by being offbeat, coming in too late, etc...

#145 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

I tried to not mind the vuvuzela, I understand its use on the "Kill!" chant, which I like. But he ruins a lot of "Let's go Devils!" chants by being offbeat, coming in too late, etc...

hey the kill chant seems to work- best pk in the league last year, so keep that going no matter how annoying the damn horn is.

I'm not superstitious...
...But I I am a little stitious.

#146 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

I just wish they got rid of the Diablos outright.

I heard from someone that they are not offering Daiblos section anymore.  Is this true? 

#147 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

I just wish they got rid of the Diablos outright.

I heard from someone that they are not offering Daiblos section anymore. Is this true?

http://devils.nhl.co...ge.htm?id=92511
According to this it says ask your sales rep about joining the diablos.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were making changes though, it seems that's a common theme after new ownership (not saying it's bad necessarily).

#148 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

http://devils.nhl.co...ge.htm?id=92511
According to this it says ask your sales rep about joining the diablos.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were making changes though, it seems that's a common theme after new ownership (not saying it's bad necessarily).

I mean the information I got might not be true or out of date, but what I heard (back from about early June) from a couple of people who know the Diablos well said that many if not all of the Daiblo members never got renewal notices about the group and that it looks like ownership is giving up on the idea of them.

Wouldn't blame the ownership for trying to kill it.  Group had a nice beginning but got lame and annoying real fast.

#149 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

These guys have to realize that the horn is best for starting a chant, blow the damn thing once to begin a chant and that's it.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#150 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

I mean the information I got might not be true or out of date, but what I heard (back from about early June) from a couple of people who know the Diablos well said that many if not all of the Daiblo members never got renewal notices about the group and that it looks like ownership is giving up on the idea of them.

Wouldn't blame the ownership for trying to kill it.  Group had a nice beginning but got lame and annoying real fast.

From that link:

The Diablos were formed at the beginning of the 2011-2012 hockey season when New Jersey Devils management felt that an energized fan supporter section was just what the team, "The Rock", and the fan-base needed. An open invitation was sent out, and those wishing to become members of this unique group were asked to attend a meeting hosted by the Devils, where the name, and the Captains were chosen. The Diablos were now well on their way to becoming a group where a die-hard Devils fan could feel at home to express enthusiasm and excitement, while bringing heat and energy to the arena with fellow fans that shared a common passion.

The Diablos rely on a simple code of conduct. Members of this unique group must STAND and CHEER while the puck is in play. They must proudly wear Devils attire to all games. There is NO leaving the game early. This section is for New Jersey Devils fans only. Tickets cannot be passed onto opposing fans. Lastly members must attend group meetings, so that everyone's voice can be heard.

Since their inception, the Diablos have been a growing, yet commanding, presence in the arena where their main focus is to create an atmosphere at Devils games that is loud, exciting and inviting to the entire arena and fellow Devils fans, young and old. It is important to remember that no matter how the game is going, we must support our team, win or lose. The Diablos purpose is to bring a level of energy that is loud and exciting to the arena, and make "The Rock" the LOUDEST in the NHL! The Diablos are here to be heard. They are here to support Jersey's team, and fuel the fire in our boys' hearts!!

This coming season is set to be a big one for the New Jersey Devils. The Diablos intend to let this team know they have the full support of everyone in those seats. The Diablos will be at every home game, louder and prouder than ever before. Last year, some of the Diablos took their undying energy on the road attending games in many other venues. This season they hope to be an even bigger support to our Devils on the road.

This group can only grow and have an impactful effect if we make it happen together. We all have a common bond, the love of the greatest team in the NHL, the New Jersey Devils. So if you are the type of fan that likes to stand up and cheer for your team, win or lose, maybe you have what it takes to be a Diablos. Contact your fan representative today for information on how YOU can become a member of The DIABLOS.

----------------------------------

The first bolded sentence explains why this thing was destined to fail.  You can't have some corporate lil' zilches, who approached this like it was some kind of checklist as to what makes an "enthusiastic hardcore fan", trying to force something to happen.  An entity like what the Diablos are supposed to be has to come together on its own.  Just the fact that there are actual hall-monitor rules in place (and that reeks of the mentality of the complete dorks who actually came up with the idea of the Diablos...they have NO clue about any of this stuff) completely hammers home how much the point of something like what this is supposed to be was missed...there's supposed to be some degree of actual genuine spontaneity with these groups.  Not lame choreographing of dictated behavior.         

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 21 July 2014 - 10:58 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#151 Scottie2Hottie

Scottie2Hottie

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

I want it to be that "Light em up" song.

Posted Image Deb Placey (unofficial)
Posted Image

#152 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

I want it to be that "Light em up" song.

If a fallout boy song becomes our goal song I'm going to root for the rangers.

#153 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

The first bolded sentence explains why this thing was destined to fail.  You can't have some corporate lil' zilches, who approached this like it was some kind of checklist as to what makes an "enthusiastic hardcore fan", trying to force something to happen.  An entity like what the Diablos are supposed to be has to come together on its own.  Just the fact that there are actual hall-monitor rules in place (and that reeks of the mentality of the complete dorks who actually came up with the idea of the Diablos...they have NO clue about any of this stuff) completely hammers home how much the point of something like what this is supposed to be was missed...there's supposed to be some degree of actual genuine spontaneity with these groups.  Not lame choreographing of dictated behavior.         

The best part is that the first setence is not really true at all.  If they wanted to be honest, they would have wrote that they decided that they want an official fan group and decided to hijack the grass-roots Supporters Section that started the season before during the awful first half and semi-miracle 2nd half.

The way they wrote it seems that the Devils started the whole thing from the very beginning.  However, I do have to say when the Devils took it over very few if any of the original supporters stuck around as many could not commit to season tickets.  A lot of the Daiblos members seem like the people whom the Crazies rejected (I am not fond of the Crazies either), envied the Crazies and wanted to be part of something like that, or just wanted cheap season tickets.

#154 Scottie2Hottie

Scottie2Hottie

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

I'm not a fallout boy fan by any means, but that chorus is pretty cool man. Light Up the lamp? Devils on fire?! COME ON!

Posted Image Deb Placey (unofficial)
Posted Image

#155 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

I'm not a fallout boy fan by any means, but that chorus is pretty cool man. Light Up the lamp? Devils on fire?! COME ON!

My statement stands sir.

#156 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

Look, it's not as bad as it could be. At the end of the day, they still offered $100± ticket plans for that section to get it going and our biggest complaint was that it was cheesy and annoying by the end of the season.

I'd rather be complaining about this than about the whole fanbase being priced out like Habs, Rangers, or Leafs fans.

You know what's really corporate? What the Rangers did: rebuild the "blue seats" as part of the renovation (and make commercials about it). Big slap in the face if I were a season ticket holder. Doesn't change the fact that Rangers tickets are out of most of those peoples' price range... "We removed thousands of season ticket holders' seats to make more room for luxury boxes, and didn't give them a cheaper deal on the lower bowl tickets we forced them to have to buy... BUT WE REBUILT THE BLUE SEATS."

I think we're a bit too hard on our management..

#157 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

Look, it's not as bad as it could be. At the end of the day, they still offered $100± ticket plans for that section to get it going and our biggest complaint was that it was cheesy and annoying by the end of the season.

I'd rather be complaining about this than about the whole fanbase being priced out like Habs, Rangers, or Leafs fans.

You know what's really corporate? What the Rangers did: rebuild the "blue seats" as part of the renovation (and make commercials about it). Big slap in the face if I were a season ticket holder. Doesn't change the fact that Rangers tickets are out of most of those peoples' price range... "We removed thousands of season ticket holders' seats to make more room for luxury boxes, and didn't give them a cheaper deal on the lower bowl tickets we forced them to have to buy... BUT WE REBUILT THE BLUE SEATS."

I think we're a bit too hard on our management..

I'm not anti-management, really, especially this ownership has something that VBK clearly didn't...CASH!  I'll always like them for that reason alone.  I just didn't like the concept of the Diablos and how it came together.     

#30 FOREVER!

#158 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

The best part is that the first setence is not really true at all. If they wanted to be honest, they would have wrote that they decided that they want an official fan group and decided to hijack the grass-roots Supporters Section that started the season before during the awful first half and semi-miracle 2nd half.

The way they wrote it seems that the Devils started the whole thing from the very beginning. However, I do have to say when the Devils took it over very few if any of the original supporters stuck around as many could not commit to season tickets. A lot of the Daiblos members seem like the people whom the Crazies rejected (I am not fond of the Crazies either), envied the Crazies and wanted to be part of something like that, or just wanted cheap season tickets.

Bingo. I stopped being involved when they stopped listening. I wanted them to reserve a few rows to have people either buy a 5 game plan or to allow single game purchases. This would have been the only way to actually grow the section. It was always meant to be open to all fans because I never wanted it to become a clique group like the crazies. As soon as they closed it off to a select group that was it for me. It was fun the first year during that awful season but now it needs to be put out back to pasture.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 21 July 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#159 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

I don't mind the diablos, but as others have said and I have complained of many times, that stupid vuvuzela needs to go or get shoved down the throat of the idiot that blows it every 2.5 seconds at these games.  It is probably the second most annoying sound in the world...

Posted Image

#160 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Bingo. I stopped being involved when they stopped listening. I wanted them to reserve a few rows to have people either buy a 5 game plan or to allow single game purchases. This would have been the only way to actually grow the section. It was always meant to be open to all fans because I never wanted it to become a clique group like the crazies. As soon as they closed it off to a select group that was it for me. It was fun the first year during that awful season but now it needs to be put out back to pasture.

The bolded makes a lot of sense...could've gotten a lot more people involved.  Seemed like Devils were expecting all-or-nothing from the outset. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 21 July 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users