55 replies to this topic

#21 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

Maybe if he made a big ****ing stop once in a while late in games I could live with his soft angle bs.  He was in net for at least a handful of games blown late (many of them in that late January stretch) and they weren't all the D's fault, although the D itself is a bit overrated because of shot totals.  Our 25 shots allowed are generally more high-quality than Vancouver's 28-30 a game.

You can't really get on the D all the time (the way has happened here lately) because of ridiculous breakdowns and then say oh but they're good because of shot totals.  They have these ridiculous breakdowns almost every game.

I would gather the Devils have less breakdowns than most teams in the league. I don't buy for a second the Devils face more high quality shots than Vancouver. There isn't such a thing as a team that gives up 20 shots but 10 are high quality vs, a team that gives up 30 with only 2 or 3 being high quality.

The Devils team defense (part of it being good offensive zone time over the last few years) has been fine. There have been more breakdowns since the break, but that's about it. For the last 100 games prior it was just really bad goaltening.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#22 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

Cory doesn't look very good. It's tough to admit but if he continues like this I don't want to re-sign him.

I'm not sure what perfect goalies are supposed to be out there, but every goalie in the league gives up "softies". Its part of the position. 

If Marty had played today and played the exact same game as Cory would you have given him that pass? I am asking sincerely.

I feel like a large portion of this board has become Cory apologists. They are afraid to criticize him in any way because they built him up so much and put Marty down so much.

Edited by Neb00rs, 20 March 2014 - 11:23 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#23 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

Cory doesn't look very good. It's tough to admit but if he continues like this I don't want to re-sign him.

If Marty had played today and played the exact same game as Cory would you have given him that pass? I am asking sincerely.

I feel like a large portion of this board has become Cory apologists. They are afraid to criticize him in any way because they built him up so much and put Marty down so much.

I've probably defended Marty as much as anyone else on this board. In fact, I've said the same thing when Marty has been ripped for "softies" in the past. No goalie is perfect, and every goalie in the league gets beat clean. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#24 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,323 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

a .803 save % in 4 huge games in March (yes small sample) is atrocious though. This has to turn around immediately

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#25 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,872 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

And yet you're posting in a thread that's bashing Cory lol...so clearly not everyone's an apologist.  There was reason to be an apologist when he was hot and not having great luck, but there's no reason to be an apologist when he sucks and is still not winning games for the most part despite better goal support since the break.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#26 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:31 PM

We weren't sh!t talking Brodeur in his prime during a little struggle. Some people were complaining about this one:

Gord Miller @GMillerTSN Mar 12

Worst Save % last 3 seasons (min 75 starts) Brodeur .904 Pavelec .905 Emery .905 Bryzgalov .906 Mason .906

As for Cory...holy crap, Schneider had top 5 GAA and Save percentage at the break. We are talking about a 5-6 game slide.

Edited by devilsrule33, 20 March 2014 - 11:45 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#27 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:32 PM

We aren't sh!t talking Brodeur in his prime during a little struggle. Some people were complaining about this one:

Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN Mar 12

Worst Save % last 3 seasons (min 75 starts) Brodeur .904 Pavelec .905 Emery .905 Bryzgalov .906 Mason .906

As for Cory...holy crap, Schneider had top GAA and Save percentage at the break. We are talking about a 5-6 game slide.

Wow, Marty, Pavelec and 3 different Flyer goalies!

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#28 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

It's one slump FFS.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#29 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:38 PM

I've probably defended Marty as much as anyone else on this board. In fact, I've said the same thing when Marty has been ripped for "softies" in the past. No goalie is perfect, and every goalie in the league gets beat clean. 

Fair enough.

And yet you're posting in a thread that's bashing Cory lol...so clearly not everyone's an apologist.  There was reason to be an apologist when he was hot and not having great luck, but there's no reason to be an apologist when he sucks and is still not winning games for the most part despite better goal support since the break.

To be fair though, it was started by 7 who is generally an outlier among the mainstream.

We weren't sh!t talking Brodeur in his prime during a little struggle. Some people were complaining about this one:

Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN Mar 12

As for Cory...holy crap, Schneider had top GAA and Save percentage at the break. We are talking about a 5-6 game slide.

Neither goalie has been good imo. He might have been good up until the break but if this few games are able to affect his numbers that much than obviously he hadn't played that many games. Either ways, I support Cory, all I am saying is that he doesn't look good in goal right now, certainly not enough to warrant a big contract. I am hoping he does enough before the end of the season to make a convincing argument for himself.

Though I suppose there is the point (I think you made it) that we can get him for cheaper when he's suckier.

Edited by Neb00rs, 20 March 2014 - 11:39 PM.

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

Brodeur has used up all of his passes.  He's through as a starting goaltender in this league.  That's why he doesn't get passes and why Schneider, who is a .920+ lifetime goalie, does.  Everyone knows he can play better because they saw it for the first 2/3rds of the season.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#31 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

Brodeur has used up all of his passes.  He's through as a starting goaltender in this league.  That's why he doesn't get passes and why Schneider, who is a .920+ lifetime goalie, does.  Everyone knows he can play better because they saw it for the first 2/3rds of the season.

Which is why the rest of the season will either solidify what we originally believed about Cory or at least for me, make me question it.

#32 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,872 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:48 PM

Which is why the rest of the season will either solidify what we originally believed about Cory or at least for me, make me question it.

There might not be time for that.  At the rate it's going Saturday may be the last really pressure game of the season.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#33 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

There might not be time for that.  At the rate it's going Saturday may be the last really pressure game of the season.

That doesn't matter. If Cory puts up good numbers, I don't really care if the Devils win or lose.

#34 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,323 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

The thing with Cory is that's he's never really had to play bigtime pressure regular season games in Vancouver the past 3 years because they were such a good team. This is the first time he's really been under the gun so to speak

Bottom line is that there are some alarming bad habits. Footwork, positioning on bad angle goals, response to bad goals

Right now we're really finding out what Schneider is. Is he Osgood? Is he Bunny Larocque? Or can he be elite?

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#35 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,872 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

That doesn't matter. If Cory puts up good numbers, I don't really care if the Devils win or lose.

I meant the games'll pretty much be meaningless down the stretch if we lose Saturday.  It won't matter one way or the other what Cory does after that, if he's even playing Saturday (though I assume he'll have to play cause of the whole 'won your last start' factor, unless they're scared of Marty dropping some more dirty laundry if he doesn't get his shot at revenge for Yankee Stadium).

#36 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

The thing with Cory is that's he's never really had to play bigtime pressure regular season games in Vancouver the past 3 years because they were such a good team. This is the first time he's really been under the gun so to speak

Bottom line is that there are some alarming bad habits. Footwork, positioning on bad angle goals, response to bad goals

Right now we're really finding out what Schneider is. Is he Osgood? Is he Bunny Larocque? Or can he be elite?

Cory Schneider faced more pressure with the media and the goaltending battle between him and Luongo than he has this season. I'm not worried about handling the pressure.

He is a little off his game, and hopefully he gets going again very soon.

#37 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:05 AM

I meant the games'll pretty much be meaningless down the stretch if we lose Saturday.  It won't matter one way or the other what Cory does after that, if he's even playing Saturday (though I assume he'll have to play cause of the whole 'won your last start' factor, unless they're scared of Marty dropping some more dirty laundry if he doesn't get his shot at revenge for Yankee Stadium).

I understand but I'm saying that even if the Devils go all youngsters we will still get to see Cory play and how well he plays in that situation. 

Cory Schneider faced more pressure with the media and the goaltending battle between him and Luongo than he has this season. I'm not worried about handling the pressure.

He is a little off his game, and hopefully he gets going again very soon.

I think 7 has a good point with Vancouver being a good team. There are a lot of goalies who probably wouldn't be nearly as good on the Devils as their team and that says something for how we need to go about evaluating Cory in what he does now. I wouldn't want Cory Crawford or Antii Niemi on this team.

Hopefully though, your hope that he "gets going again" comes to fruition and the debate can end. Cory really doesn't have to do too much for too long to win me over, I think my expectations are fair. Anyways, he has to win over Pete and Lou, not me.

Edited by Neb00rs, 21 March 2014 - 12:06 AM.

#38 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

Yes, he's Osgood.  Now please find me a 125 game stretch of Osgood's career where he has been an elite goalie.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#39 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:09 AM

I understand but I'm saying that even if the Devils go all youngsters we will still get to see Cory play and how well he plays in that situation. 

I think 7 has a good point with Vancouver being a good team. There are a lot of goalies who probably wouldn't be nearly as good on the Devils as their team and that says something for how we need to go about evaluating Cory in what he does now. I wouldn't want Cory Crawford or Antii Niemi on this team.

Hopefully though, your hope that he "gets going again" comes to fruition and the debate can end. Cory really doesn't have to do too much for too long to win me over, I think my expectations are fair. Anyways, he has to win over Pete and Lou, not me.

That's hilarious, no offense. The Devils are and have always been an excellent excellent excellent excellent defensive team. A lot better than most of those playoff teams. 

Schneider has had a much easier time this year than in Vancouver. He simply hasn't been as good.

#40 William D'Aquila

William D'Aquila

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

I'm not impressed with him and frankly I do not want the Devils to re-sign him.

He never makes a big save at the right time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users