83 replies to this topic

#1 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

As you can see, Jagr thrives on PDB's system but he's 42. I know he's a one of a kind player but who plays similar to him? I don't care what people say, Kovy did not fit in so a player like him is out of the question. Ryder, Brunner, Loki are similar to Kovy hockey mentality wise - that's why they did/do suck. The system requires nit&grit, puck possession players. While elite ones don't grow on trees, who's out there? I'd love two of Vanek/Moulson/Cally/Statsny but do they fit the system? Can they learn and adjust to fit in?

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#2 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

Darn, it cut off "er?"

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#3 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

As you can see, Jagr thrives on PDB's system but he's 42. I know he's a one of a kind player but who plays similar to him? I don't care what people say, Kovy did not fit in so a player like him is out of the question. Ryder, Brunner, Loki are similar to Kovy hockey mentality wise - that's why they did/do suck. The system requires nit&grit, puck possession players. While elite ones don't grow on trees, who's out there? I'd love two of Vanek/Moulson/Cally/Statsny but do they fit the system? Can they learn and adjust to fit in?

Matt Moulson played and thrived in a defense first system at Cornell. Granted that was in college, but I think if he could do well in that kind of system then those are things you don't lose as you get older. I really think he'd do very well for us.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#4 Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

Mason Raymond comes to mind !  :thumbsup:

3308166.jpeg

#5 Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

Mason Raymond comes to mind !  :thumbsup:

Oh yes I'd take Matt Niskanen toooo sorry bout that..... almost forgot.... 

3308166.jpeg

#6 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

So there are kwazi-good players out there that fit the bill.  Just so I can learn, what makes them better then say Ruutu? My guess is skill.

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#7 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

kwazi-good

quasi lol

Not intending to be grammar nazi, but that one was too funny.

#8 njdevs89

njdevs89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:03 AM

Kulemin from the Leafs. Once was a 30 goal scorer, can kill penalties, hit and still score the odd goal. I think he would do well on our 3rd with maybe zubs/jj? Might be cheap too.

#9 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

First line players or bust.

Stastny and/or Ryan

Trade for a youngstar.

We have enough grinders, second line scoring talent, decent enough defense and goaltending.

#10 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:38 AM

Yeah I'm going to agree with HOI, I think we have enough 'Devil' type players..

Sign forwards who can actually be counted on to contribute.  

I'd be wary of throwing big money at Ryan though - he seems 'off' since being omitted from the Olympic team.  I don't know if I'd want him signed to lead the offense.

Stastny seems like a no-brainer to me, if he can be acquired the Devils should do everything they can to get him.  Stastny & Zajac as our 1A and 1B centers, allowing Henrique to permanently shift to wing?  Yes please.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 24 March 2014 - 08:39 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#11 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

bobby ryan is signed next year - not sure why people think he's a UFA

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#12 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

Oh oops.

Stastny, Stastny, Stastny

#13 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Statsny or Matt Moulson, Statsny for the reasons already posted and Moulson has nose for the net that we lost when Parise left, how many times this year has a rebound just been laying there within 5 feet of the net and no one can put it home? Moulson fixes that problem quite nicely
25smul5.png

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

Oh oops.

Stastny, Stastny, Stastny

I wouldn't get my hopes up.  Even if Lou pursues him, he's competing with at least five other teams, including Colorado which can offer him more years.  So I would imagine Lou would have to give him something that amounts to between $7-8 million AAV.  While I'd take a chance and overpay for him, I couldn't go too nuts on Lou if he decides it's too much. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#15 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Moulson would absolutely be a great fit here. My only problem is his value might be overinflated because of the high profile nature of the trades he was in this season.

Let's not forget guys, he only has a couple more goals than Ryder and a week ago our fans were crapping down Ryder's neck. But yeah, on the flipside, Moulson's a Parise-like player. Would absolutely benefit the team. Clarkson's current contract is about as high as I'd go for him this offseason.

#16 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Stastny and/or Ryan

Trade for a youngstar.

We have enough grinders, second line scoring talent, decent enough defense and goaltending.

True, but do you think a "Ryan" would fit? I mean why is Jagr so darn good in this system? He tanked the last two seasons but hasn't this one.

Sure, I'd love an Elite LW-Elite C-Elite RW line but they won't help if they don't fit the system. Could they change to fit in? Possibly, but I don't want to find out in their 3rd year of a 7 year contract if they can't.

Edited by Devs4LordStanley, 24 March 2014 - 02:16 PM.

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#17 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

Fvck Devils players. We need good players. We have a ton of grinders who fit the system. We need good players. 

Also, I think the system thing is overrated. Kovalchuk played well, even though his numbers weren't as good. Especially the Cup year, when he was healthy and comfortable. Jagr's numbers are better this year because he's on the top line instead of the 3rd -- he was good the past two years, even if the numbers aren't there. 

If we can get some combination of Moulson, Statsny. Ryan in the next 2 years, I'll be happy.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#18 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

Iginla? I know he is UFA and wants a multi year deal that the Bruins can't do because of the cap.

I know he is another older guy, but he is a perfect guy for this team, especially considering the Devils aren't a sexy destination for FA's, but just maybe they can lure Iginla with a 2 year deal.

Edited by hystyk28, 24 March 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#19 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Stastny and/or Ryan

Trade for a youngstar.

This is not how hockey works. How is nobody getting that? Learn from the Kovy deal. Learn from how a cup contender fell apart after acquiring a scorer who did not fit the system. Hockey is about systems, and we need to play ours.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#20 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

This is not how hockey works. How is nobody getting that? Learn from the Kovy deal. Learn from how a cup contender fell apart after acquiring a scorer who did not fit the system. Hockey is about systems, and we need to play ours.

At least someone gets my point!

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users