83 replies to this topic

#21 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

This is not how hockey works. How is nobody getting that? Learn from the Kovy deal. Learn from how a cup contender fell apart after acquiring a scorer who did not fit the system. Hockey is about systems, and we need to play ours.

I agree which is why I like Iginla. This team needs some finish, guys that are pure shooters.(move along Ryder, I don't mean you.) Players like a Nathan Horton would have fit in nicely. The Lucic types. Obviously, it is tough to get players like this, especially to get them to come to NJ. I'd make a huge push for Iggy, especially if Jagr leaves. I think Iggy may be even more successful than Jags here.

We all know Lou has his plate full this offseason.

#22 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

Iginla? I know he is UFA and wants a multi year deal that the Bruins can't do because of the cap.

I know he is another older guy, but he is a perfect guy for this team, especially considering the Devils aren't a sexy destination for FA's, but just maybe they can lure Iginla with a 2 year deal.

I like iggy but we need  to get younger. Hard because there are so few that fit.

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#23 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

I would like to see the Devils to try and sign either Stastny, Moulson or Vrbata. I think the would fit in the Devils system no problem.  Who do I think the Devils are going to sign Brian Gionta and maybe Gomez to remake the EGG line

#24 Beck27

Beck27

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

This is not how hockey works. How is nobody getting that? Learn from the Kovy deal. Learn from how a cup contender fell apart after acquiring a scorer who did not fit the system. Hockey is about systems, and we need to play ours.

Wait a minute...what cup contender?  The only time this organization has seriously "contended" for the Cup since 03 and not completely flamed out early, or missed the playoffs entirely was 2012; which Kovy was a very, very big part of.  I agree that systems have a part, but at the end of the day, X's and O's will only take you so far...you still need players that have the raw ability and talent to both create and finish offensively.  Right now, the Devils are seriously lacking in that department.   

#25 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

He means 2010 I think lol...but that team had already started to spiral out of control before the trade and had issues (Langs) that had nothing to do with Kovy.

#26 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,195 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

It's a highly unlikely scenario but something I would love to see happen. With Rutherford apparently out as the Hurricanes GM at the end of the year and a lot of speculation over some of the core players being moved as part of a rebuild, I'd love to see Lou go after Jeff Skinner if he's made available.

Skinner won't be 22 until next year, already has 90 goals and 86 points in 248 NHL games, and is under contract for 5 more seasons at a $5.725M cap hit. In 4 NHL seasons he has been in or above the 90th percentile in goals per game. He even reached the 95th percentile his rookie season and this year.

The Devils need an elite offensive talent and I'd be willing to give up a lot for him. I don't know if the Devils would have the pieces the Hurricanes would want but I'd be willing to part with Larsson + 2015 1st + Boucher/Matteau + Ryder. I figure that gives the Hurricanes a NHL ready D who is under control for a few more years, a young forward also under control for a few more years, a decent draft pick, and a veteran forward who can contribute next year and also be flipped at the deadline.

The Devils have a lot of quality and depth coming through the blue line to withstand the loss of Larsson and acquiring Skinner would help offset the lack of young quality forwards in the system as they would have him for at least 5 years. Like I said though, highly unlikely something like this happens.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#27 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

Jesus that's a lot for Skinner. He is a great player though..

But why would the Canes shop him? That's the kinda player you build around

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#28 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Wait a minute...what cup contender?  The only time this organization has seriously "contended" for the Cup since 03 and not completely flamed out early, or missed the playoffs entirely was 2012; which Kovy was a very, very big part of.  I agree that systems have a part, but at the end of the day, X's and O's will only take you so far...you still need players that have the raw ability and talent to both create and finish offensively.  Right now, the Devils are seriously lacking in that department.   

This. I get that Kovy didn't work out perfectly, but when he was on, the team was very good,and he played a huge role. I'm not saying you bring in ANY talented player.and I'm certainly not saying offer a stupid contract (a mistake we DID make with Kovy, that I'm hoping we do learn from) but in the end, great players usually figure out ways to be successful. 

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#29 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,099 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

As far as I can tell the Devils need to sign players in the off-season that meet at least two successful makeups:

1. Two top level scorers: Successful teams have that mixture, Crosby/Malkin, Toews/Kane, Sedin/Sedin, etc.

2. At least two 30 goal scorers and a succession of 15 to 20 goal scorers.

The Devils right now have neither.

They did in 2012

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#30 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

I like iggy but we need to get younger. Hard because there are so few that fit.

I agree we are too old, but I don't think we are high on UFA'S list unless:

Lou will overpay due to need.
Lou will give a no trade or extra term.
Player needs a temporary stop to increase value due previous injury or under performance.

So if you then take into account those who are available during FA and then the type of players that would fit in here, then that list is a very short one. Add in younger players as a filter and what do you even have to pick from?

Trade then, right? We all know our assets. Lou is gonna need some xanax this summer. Do they trade Corey? IMHO, you almost have to trade him if the return is right.

On a side note we should all be thankful for Henrique and Zajac being signed for awhile or the team might as well move to Albany.

#31 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:05 AM

We need to focus on changing the roster over the next year or two and especially getting rid of the head coach. In sick of hearing about Dead Boar's system and how we have to cater to it. That's why we now have four guys who really aren't any good playing top 9 roles at forward and none can really score at all and no substantive changes or development of younger guys. And Jagr is not going to be here for more than another year which speaks volumes about our predicament.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#32 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,659 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

I think we need a guy like Skinner but I'm skittish as to that package you put together there. Now, you have to give something to get something, but I'm a little Nauseous as to that kind of package. Larsson and 2015 1st, IMO, should be enough.

In order to compete in this league we need another top center to solidify down the middle and a scoring (hopefully speedy) winger.

Stastny would give us incredible center depth. Again we have zero center options in the minors/prospect pool.

Once you get him a first line winger needs to be acquired...somehow.

However, I'd be willing to start next season with...

Elias-Stastny-Henrique

Boucher-Zajac-Jagr

Something like that....flip wings, etc, whatever.

I'd even go as far as to sign Stastny to near 8M/season. It's not going to get better than him for 4-5 years. Center don't become FAs that often, especially good youngish ones.

With something like that looking like a top 6, I think it's definitely doable given defense/goaltending to be a playoff team and at least wait a little while for that big trade. 

We'll see more of where the D prospects are, how good Henrique is a winger permanently, where Boucher is development wise and the like.

#33 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

It's a highly unlikely scenario but something I would love to see happen. With Rutherford apparently out as the Hurricanes GM at the end of the year and a lot of speculation over some of the core players being moved as part of a rebuild, I'd love to see Lou go after Jeff Skinner if he's made available.

Skinner won't be 22 until next year, already has 90 goals and 86 points in 248 NHL games, and is under contract for 5 more seasons at a $5.725M cap hit. In 4 NHL seasons he has been in or above the 90th percentile in goals per game. He even reached the 95th percentile his rookie season and this year.

The Devils need an elite offensive talent and I'd be willing to give up a lot for him. I don't know if the Devils would have the pieces the Hurricanes would want but I'd be willing to part with Larsson + 2015 1st + Boucher/Matteau + Ryder. I figure that gives the Hurricanes a NHL ready D who is under control for a few more years, a young forward also under control for a few more years, a decent draft pick, and a veteran forward who can contribute next year and also be flipped at the deadline.

The Devils have a lot of quality and depth coming through the blue line to withstand the loss of Larsson and acquiring Skinner would help offset the lack of young quality forwards in the system as they would have him for at least 5 years. Like I said though, highly unlikely something like this happens.

For a team that could be not very good next year, I would not trade the 2015 pick along with everything else. The player you conceivably would lose out on could be better than Skinner almost immediately or in one or two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#34 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

For a team that could be not very good next year, I would not trade the 2015 pick along with everything else. The player you conceivably would lose out on could be better than Skinner almost immediately or in one or two years.

The odds of this are not high, unless you think NJ picks top 3, which they won't

#35 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

The odds of this are not high, unless you think NJ picks top 3, which they won't

They're evidently expanding the lottery, although it isn't clear whether it'll take effect next year and the exact form it will take.

Although it isn't incredibly likely, there's enough of a chance that it's akin to taking out an insurance policy.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#36 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

I agree which is why I like Iginla. This team needs some finish, guys that are pure shooters.(move along Ryder, I don't mean you.) 

Ryder's got almost 20 goals, on a pretty favorable contract, not to mention he's probably due for another little surge within the games remaining (considering the number of quality chances he's had in the past few weeks and scoring in that Minnesota game).

As a team that can't score to save itself, we shouldn't be so picky and we should take what we can get. A streaky scoring player who eventually puts up the numbers (albeit, at his own pace) on the 2nd or 3rd line is perfectly fine if our upper lines were better. Ryder's not "the problem".

Hell, I'm fine if we keep signing him to 2 year deals for the long-haul until he retires and keep him here as a Sykora-figure. Most of everyone on this board was pissed off that we let Sykora and his 20+ goals go a couple years ago; Ryder's pretty much "that guy" (don't forget, Sykora had his cold streaks where we wondered if he was too old to compete).

So yeah, my verdict is we keep Ryder for the long-run. He won't exert himself or play physically, but that shot of his will probably be there til he hangs them up, and beggars can't be choosers. Those 5-10 games at a time where he's scoring and assisting like a madman, that's more than worth the price of his services, and for a long time was keeping us afloat on a long stretch of games (with Henrique too, of course).

Edited by DJ Eco, 25 March 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#37 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

Ryder's got almost 20 goals, on a pretty favorable contract, not to mention he's probably due for another little surge within the games remaining (considering the number of quality chances he's had in the past few weeks and scoring in that Minnesota game).

As a team that can't score to save itself, we shouldn't be so picky and we should take what we can get. A streaky scoring player who eventually puts up the numbers (albeit, at his own pace) on the 2nd or 3rd line is perfectly fine if our upper lines were better. Ryder's not "the problem".

Hell, I'm fine if we keep signing him to 2 year deals for the long-haul until he retires and keep him here as a Sykora-figure. Most of everyone on this board was pissed off that we let Sykora and his 20+ goals go a couple years ago; Ryder's pretty much "that guy" (don't forget, Sykora had his cold streaks where we wondered if he was too old to compete).

So yeah, my verdict is we keep Ryder for the long-run. He won't exert himself or play physically, but that shot of his will probably be there til he hangs them up, and beggars can't be choosers. Those 5-10 games at a time where he's scoring and assisting like a madman, that's more than worth the price of his services, and for a long time was keeping us afloat on a long stretch of games (with Henrique too, of course).

And this ties into why I don't want another "Devils type" player. We have a lot of role players/system guys. We need top line talent. At least 1 star. I'd hoped this team would turn out like '03, but Elias isn't as good anymore (not his fault -- he's old), and, while Jagr's been huge, that team had Gomez and a ton of offense from Rafa and Nieds that this blue line just doesn't produce.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#38 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:18 AM

If you think he is a top 6 forward I don't know what to tell you.

#39 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:36 AM

- Jagr tanked the last two seasons, absolutely incorrect

- Stastsny, Horton, Eberle would all do good.

- That Skinner package is lopsided. He'd be a young talent we could use and Larrson is expendable

#40 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

If you think he is a top 6 forward I don't know what to tell you.

I think you missed the entire jist of what I said. Let me re-summarize: on this sh!tty series of cards that Lou dealt DeBoer this season, his 17 goals are pretty good. It's easy during a goalless drought to say "Hell no!" to keeping Ryder, but then, where do we get those 17 goals from?

I think we should absolutely keep Ryder, and if the right moves are made to our first two lines, and he's used in a limited 3rd line and power play capacity as he gets older, he's still very much beneficial to the team in the long run. He's scoring these goals almost effortlessly, doesn't need speed or grit, just kind of comes natural to him. On a team that can't score goals for sh!t, I don't understand how he catches so much grief, more than Zubrus or Clowe combined, as far as the fanbase goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users