83 replies to this topic

#41 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

I think you missed the entire jist of what I said. Let me re-summarize: on this sh!tty series of cards that Lou dealt DeBoer this season, his 17 goals are pretty good. It's easy during a goalless drought to say "Hell no!" to keeping Ryder, but then, where do we get those 17 goals from?

I think we should absolutely keep Ryder, and if the right moves are made to our first two lines, and he's used in a limited 3rd line and power play capacity as he gets older, he's still very much beneficial to the team in the long run. He's scoring these goals almost effortlessly, doesn't need speed or grit, just kind of comes natural to him. On a team that can't score goals for sh!t, I don't understand how he catches so much grief, more than Zubrus or Clowe combined, as far as the fanbase goes.

I certainly get your point, but the issue is that other than scoring goals, he's useless. He's an absolute black hole on the cycle, cannot carry the puck for more than 10ft without losing possession and is just plain slow. I agree we need the scoring, he just drives me nuts, lol.

#42 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

I certainly get your point, but the issue is that other than scoring goals, he's useless. He's an absolute black hole on the cycle, cannot carry the puck for more than 10ft without losing possession and is just plain slow. I agree we need the scoring, he just drives me nuts, lol.

I get that, and the reason he drives you nuts may very well be what some of these "prized UFAs" might drive us nuts with. Hell, Kovalchuk polarized the fanbase for about two years despite being our leader in points, over people who loved his scoring prowess and people who thought he wasn't "Devils enough".

We always want this non-Devils style prolific attacking player and then when we get that guy (and I'm not saying Ryder is that guy, but he falls in line with the argument) and he starts scoring goals, everyone will still be in a tizzy over them not "playing the Devils game".

Then we got guys like Zubrus or Carter or Clowe who will cycle the puck and not lose it for a minute and a half along the boards. I'm sure they don't frustrate you (or other fans) because they don't have too many giveaways and they show a ton of "effort", but really, what good is that anymore?

Edited by DJ Eco, 26 March 2014 - 10:30 AM.

#43 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

I think you missed the entire jist of what I said. Let me re-summarize: on this sh!tty series of cards that Lou dealt DeBoer this season, his 17 goals are pretty good. It's easy during a goalless drought to say "Hell no!" to keeping Ryder, but then, where do we get those 17 goals from?

I think we should absolutely keep Ryder, and if the right moves are made to our first two lines, and he's used in a limited 3rd line and power play capacity as he gets older, he's still very much beneficial to the team in the long run. He's scoring these goals almost effortlessly, doesn't need speed or grit, just kind of comes natural to him. On a team that can't score goals for sh!t, I don't understand how he catches so much grief, more than Zubrus or Clowe combined, as far as the fanbase goes.

I think you missed the entire gist of the thread being about who the team should sign or trade for. Obviously, we don't need any more bottom 6 players, but we do need at least 1 pure shooter, especially on the top line.

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,570 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

It's a highly unlikely scenario but something I would love to see happen. With Rutherford apparently out as the Hurricanes GM at the end of the year and a lot of speculation over some of the core players being moved as part of a rebuild, I'd love to see Lou go after Jeff Skinner if he's made available.

Skinner won't be 22 until next year, already has 90 goals and 86 points in 248 NHL games, and is under contract for 5 more seasons at a $5.725M cap hit. In 4 NHL seasons he has been in or above the 90th percentile in goals per game. He even reached the 95th percentile his rookie season and this year.

The Devils need an elite offensive talent and I'd be willing to give up a lot for him. I don't know if the Devils would have the pieces the Hurricanes would want but I'd be willing to part with Larsson + 2015 1st + Boucher/Matteau + Ryder. I figure that gives the Hurricanes a NHL ready D who is under control for a few more years, a young forward also under control for a few more years, a decent draft pick, and a veteran forward who can contribute next year and also be flipped at the deadline.

The Devils have a lot of quality and depth coming through the blue line to withstand the loss of Larsson and acquiring Skinner would help offset the lack of young quality forwards in the system as they would have him for at least 5 years. Like I said though, highly unlikely something like this happens.

Yeah, my ideal summer has the Devils signing Stastny and dealing Henrique and Larsson for Jeff Skinner, in addition to other moves.  I'm not giving up the 2015 pick for anything - if Schneider gets hurt, that could be a top 5 pick for sure, regardless of what Skinner does.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

Yeah, my ideal summer has the Devils signing Stastny and dealing Henrique and Larsson for Jeff Skinner, in addition to other moves.  I'm not giving up the 2015 pick for anything - if Schneider gets hurt, that could be a top 5 pick for sure, regardless of what Skinner does.

This says to me that you believe Larsson has very little upside.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#46 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

I think you missed the entire gist of the thread being about who the team should sign or trade for. Obviously, we don't need any more bottom 6 players, but we do need at least 1 pure shooter, especially on the top line.

Yeah because no threads ever go off-topic ever, never any tangents.

Relax dude. And if you got past sentences one and two of my post, you'd see I agree with you (and addressed the topic). I was just replying to your dig on Ryder, that's all. He's not that bad. And yes, we need skilled forwards on the top line.

#47 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

I'd say the opposite. Skinner's no joke and neither is his contract (in the long run); the Canes are gonna want a hell of a lot in return. If a trade like that went through with Henrique + Larsson being the pieces, instead of various first and second round picks + a player, it'd be a testament that we and Carolina both see the upside in Larsson. Two very good players might be what it takes to get one currently awesome and potentially superstar player.

Edited by DJ Eco, 26 March 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#48 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,570 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

No - I think Larsson will be a pretty good player.  You just have to give to get, and they don't make scoring wingers like Jeff Skinner that often.  I am concerned about Larsson's ultimate ability to be used on the power play.

#49 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,447 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

First off can we get a "LIKE" button, there i posts I would like but donot want to commetn on....

second. Devs need to GET YOUNGER!! we donot need anymore 33+ yr old players...

we need to sign some 28 to 30 year ols w/ 4 great years ahead of them,. not players on the downside...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#50 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

i agree on not giving up 2015 pick. 

again, i don't see why the canes deal skinner at all. they'd want a very very good defenseman that's already there and signed to deal him. maybe they deal him for something like shattenkirk/paajarvi (not saying that the blues would do this - but that's the kind of talent).

while i think larsson and henrique is too much, that's probably because i'm not thinking about what else the devils would do and yes, a statsny signing goes a long way.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#51 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Yeah because no threads ever go off-topic ever, never any tangents.

Relax dude. And if you got past sentences one and two of my post, you'd see I agree with you (and addressed the topic). I was just replying to your dig on Ryder, that's all. He's not that bad. And yes, we need skilled forwards on the top line.

How's it a dig? Is the guy a top 6 forward? Exactly. As stated, the Devils need to make some acquisitions this off season and one should be a top 6 guy that is a shooter. If you want to think Ryder is that guy the I don't know what to say.

Anyway, what abou Staal? It looks like they may be shaking things up down there in the offseason.

Is Callahan a fit in any way?

Edited by hystyk28, 26 March 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#52 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

First off can we get a "LIKE" button, there i posts I would like but donot want to commetn on....

second. Devs need to GET YOUNGER!! we donot need anymore 33+ yr old players...

we need to sign some 28 to 30 year ols w/ 4 great years ahead of them,. not players on the downside...

And how do we get them? The famous JJ, Tedenby, Volchenkov, Salvador special package? Act now and we'll throw in Pelley!

Get a grip, there are few assets to move. This is why a solid argument can be made that Lou should have sold what he could at the deadline.

#53 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,570 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

How's it a dig? Is the guy a top 6 forward? Exactly. As stated, the Devils need to make some acquisitions this off season and one should be a top 6 guy that is a shooter. If you want to think Ryder is that guy the I don't know what to say.

Anyway, what abou Staal? It looks like they may be shaking things up down there in the offseason.

Is Callahan a fit in any way?

No, Callahan would be the worst move the Devils could make.  He will be way overpaid this off-season.

#54 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

At this rate Schnieder might not even be on the team next year.  I could easily see him demanding a trade this offseason, or not signing an extension.  Especially if they bring Marty back.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#55 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

A "Devils" type player isn't going to help this club become a contender. If anything we need almost the exact opposite. This ain't 2003 anymore and it's about time people realize it or suffer in mediocrity at best.

Edited by Marv4Life, 26 March 2014 - 04:55 PM.

#56 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

No, Callahan would be the worst move the Devils could make. He will be way overpaid this off-season.

I just feel like NJ is not a place FA'S look at unless we overpay. I can't really come up with a list that is realistic. I think Iginla may be the best option, especially if they lose Jagr. The only other option I see is moving Schneids and Larsson for something decent.

I feel even more unsettled now, then I do after Kovy leaving.

Edited by hystyk28, 26 March 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#57 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

What team gets big FA's without overpaying?  

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#58 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,570 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

At this rate Schnieder might not even be on the team next year.  I could easily see him demanding a trade this offseason, or not signing an extension.  Especially if they bring Marty back.

He'll be on the team next year.  And the only reason he wouldn't sign an extension is out of spite - Brodeur's not going to stay 2 more years, and NJ has nothing behind him coming up to challenge him.  Net'll be his.

#59 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

if the devils got stastny and gave up Larsson/Henrique for Skinner I'd have a sh!t eating grin on my face for all of the offseason (provided they don't bring Marty back, then they're just trying to lose)

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#60 Jmorc2003

Jmorc2003

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

A good system can only get you so far. Put me in the camp that wants a top notch skill guy who can score goals. Boston, Blackhawks, Penguins, the Kings team that beat the Devils in the finals in 2012. Those teams had skilled scorers, grinders, and tough motherf##kers. Zajac, Ryder, Brunner ain't gonna be that guy. Jags is 40, Elias is close to it. Zubrus, Clowe, Carter , They're good at what they do but should be the guys that compliment the stars. Henrique is closest thing we've got to the player we should be going after but even he doesn't fit the bill. Josefson and Teddy are busts. You don't replace guys like Zach and Kovy by committee. 2012 was as close to a complete team the devils have had in probably a decade (add in a banner year by clarkson). Less is more does not work in today's nhl, especially when your the only one doing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users