145 replies to this topic

#121 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:52 AM

I know its too early to talk about this but I really hope Lou does something during the off season cause I dont see this ream making the playoffs next season with the players we currently have

What Lou needs to do in the off season is retire.

Don't worry, Lou Lamoriello believes in this team.

+ 1000

#122 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:46 AM

This team played fine. There was urgency. It just isn't very talented. This isn't an underachieving team or a poorly coached team. This is a team lacking elite talent. It's a team that misses Kovalchuk and Parise, and even Clarkson some nights.

You should have reached acceptance a long time ago with this team. I feel bad for anyone who hasn't. This isn't the 11-12 Devils disappointing night after night.

Yea, this. I don't buy the "lacking heart" argument. They just can't do it; too old, too slow, not skilled enough.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#123 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

Not much to say.  Low point of this season.  Knew making the playoffs was a long shot, but there was a part of me that was hanging on to some level of optimism (however small it was becoming).  Not anymore.     

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#124 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,451 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

You should have reached acceptance a long time ago with this team. I feel bad for anyone who hasn't. This isn't the 11-12 Devils disappointing night after night.

Not much to say.  Low point of this season.  Knew making the playoffs was a long shot, but there was a part of me that was hanging on to some level of optimism (however small it was becoming).  Not anymore.     

I was basically where CR is, although to be honest I knew it was over after the Florida game they at least still had a realistic chance until last night.  Just too few games left for them to go on a winning streak they're not capable of and know they can't achieve.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#125 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

Curious to see what the approach will be if the Devils lose tonight (which definitely kills them completely).  Do guys like Larsson and Boucher get call-ups?  Does Marty start more games? 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#126 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

i don't see the Devils calling anyone up really, especially for weekend games. Albany is in the thick of a playoff race.  I don't thnk Lou wants to disrupt that. With that said, they have some games on Mondays/Tuesdays when Albany doesn't typically play, then I'd imagine they might call someone up or two.

You have to assume if Albany gets in, and they probably will, Merrill and Gelinas will play for them. I'd wonder given the Devils fallout of contention if not this week, but perhaps next, if they get sent down early....

#127 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

I agree with Albany is in the hunt I expect them to remain the same and maybe as suggest Gelinas and Merrill might return, I think they should, if Devils lose tonight.

With a Devils loss tonight, what message is sent to Marty and Cory regarding playing the remaining 10 games? Personally I don't want to see Marty resigned for next season or beyond.

I could actually see us losing both Marty (next season) and Cory (season after).

#128 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

They'll split the remaining games, given their not-in-contention anymore - whatever I'm fine with that. It's exhibition games.

#129 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,451 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:23 AM

It'd be nice to see Cory get the majority of games once they're realistically out of it but they'll probably give Marty almost all the home starts which is fine.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#130 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

i don't see the Devils calling anyone up really, especially for weekend games. Albany is in the thick of a playoff race.  I don't thnk Lou wants to disrupt that. With that said, they have some games on Mondays/Tuesdays when Albany doesn't typically play, then I'd imagine they might call someone up or two.

You have to assume if Albany gets in, and they probably will, Merrill and Gelinas will play for them. I'd wonder given the Devils fallout of contention if not this week, but perhaps next, if they get sent down early....

A-Devs are a near lock to get in.  I cannot imagine however that they will be sent down early.  Once NJ is officially eliminated from the playoffs, they'll bring up their remaining callups - I expect it'll be Sislo Larsson and Boucher.

Albany is 6 points up with 12 to play, and there's only one team that can legitimately overtake them.

Edited by Triumph, 23 March 2014 - 12:59 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#131 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

It'd be nice to see Cory get the majority of games once they're realistically out of it but they'll probably give Marty almost all the home starts which is fine.

I could also kind of see this happening with pointless games who cares who plays
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#132 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

We never really looked in this game.  I didn't go, but watched the whole game with some friends over a few beers and grading papers.   It sucked.  I hate the fvcking Rangers, but they were and are a much better team than us. 

Posted Image Posted Image

#133 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

As I said a few weeks ago: if Marty ends up starting 40/41 games, I am fine with that.

#134 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

As I said a few weeks ago: if Marty ends up starting 40/41 games, I am fine with that.

You're also fine with missing the playoffs, as apparently the entire Devils organization is.

#135 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

You're also fine with missing the playoffs, as apparently the entire Devils organization is.

Oh please, the Devils aren't going to miss the playoffs because of Marty. The Devils are going to miss the playoffs because they are 29th in the league in scoring. Marty played bad for awhile and the Devils still pulled out wins. Schneider has had a losing record for much of the season even though he played well. Clearly our losses can't be attributed to goaltending.

#136 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

Oh please, the Devils aren't going to miss the playoffs because of Marty. The Devils are going to miss the playoffs because they are 29th in the league in scoring. Marty played bad for awhile and the Devils still pulled out wins. Schneider has had a losing record for much of the season even though he played well. Clearly our losses can't be attributed to goaltending.

Yes, 'clearly', even though a better goaltender would've won more games than Brodeur did with the goal support he had.

#137 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=400484278

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=400484703

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=400485027

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=400484650

these were horrific efforts and all on Marty. We got 1 point out of a possible 8 in these games. Even if we got 5 out of a possible 8 everything would be different now. I'm not even including the first home game against the Isles where we should've had 2 points or the Calgary disgrace early this year where he gives up a soft late goal.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#138 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=400484278

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=400484703

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=400485027

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=400484650

these were horrific efforts and all on Marty. We got 1 point out of a possible 8 in these games. Even if we got 5 out of a possible 8 everything would be different now. I'm not even including the first home game against the Isles where we should've had 2 points or the Calgary disgrace early this year where he gives up a soft late goal.

I don't doubt there are games that would have gone differently if a million things about the game were different. Marty has not had the effect ya'll are making him out to have had. He had already lost his skill in 2012 and we got to the finals. The losses are on the entire team.

Yes, 'clearly', even though a better goaltender would've won more games than Brodeur did with the goal support he had.

Complete speculation. You have no idea how Cory would have played in those games.

#139 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

Complete speculation. You have no idea how Cory would have played in those games.

If Schneider is a true talent .920 goalie, the chances are small that he'd have a .900 SV%.

#140 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

I don't doubt there are games that would have gone differently if a million things about the game were different. Marty has not had the effect ya'll are making him out to have had. He had already lost his skill in 2012 and we got to the finals. The losses are on the entire team.

In bold:  not really.  In 2011 and 2012 he was very good in the second halves of both seasons, and pretty consistent.  Last year and this, there's been some isolated bursts of good play, but no really extended stretches.  He's been a barometer of the Devils in a lot of ways this season...you just don't know what you're going to get from them from night to night.  The outcomes of their games almost feel completely random at this point.   

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users