145 replies to this topic

#141 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

We never really looked in this game.  I didn't go, but watched the whole game with some friends over a few beers and grading papers.   It sucked.  I hate the fvcking Rangers, but they were and are a much better team than us. 

I don't see that at all.

#142 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

In bold:  not really.  In 2011 and 2012 he was very good in the second halves of both seasons, and pretty consistent.  Last year and this, there's been some isolated bursts of good play, but no really extended stretches.  He's been a barometer of the Devils in a lot of ways this season...you just don't know what you're going to get from them from night to night.  The outcomes of their games almost feel completely random at this point.   

I don't know, I kind of felt that way in 2012. Actually, I felt like he had lost it in 2011. It was a shock really because I was so used to him saving everything - he just started to let in bad goals. I figured it was a slump and it would turn around but it just got worse and became clear he was nearing the end. In 2012 Marty started 59 games and had a .908 save percentage. We still made the playoffs and easily.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#143 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

I don't know, I kind of felt that way in 2012. Actually, I felt like he had lost it in 2011. It was a shock really because I was so used to him saving everything - he just started to let in bad goals. I figured it was a slump and it would turn around but it just got worse and became clear he was nearing the end. In 2012 Marty started 59 games and had a .908 save percentage. We still made the playoffs and easily.

He was .920+ in the second half of both the 2011 and 2012 seasons (in 2012, that extended into the playoffs (a total run of about 50 games)...he was over .920 for the Cup run until the final game knocked him down to .917 for the playoffs). 

The 2012 run was a surprise, because until it happened he looked like he was finished.  October-December were hard to watch. 

The rough first halves of 2011 and 2012 were signs of things to come...in 2013 and 2014, he's had several prolonged stretches of .880ish play that have been very hard on the eyes.  The 10-game burst that lasted about a month has made this year look better for Marty than it's really been. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#144 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

He was .920+ in the second half of both the 2011 and 2012 seasons (in 2012, that extended into the playoffs (a total run of about 50 games)...he was over .920 for the Cup run until the final game knocked him down to .917 for the playoffs). 

The 2012 run was a surprise, because until it happened he looked like he was finished.  October-December were hard to watch. 

The rough first halves of 2011 and 2012 were signs of things to come...in 2013 and 2014, he's had several prolonged stretches of .880ish play that have been very hard on the eyes.  The 10-game burst that lasted about a month has made this year look better for Marty than it's really been. 

I can't really disagree with any of this. Marty is certainly worse this year than last and so on....All I'm saying is that when playing either goalie hasn't proven to make us more successful this season, I don't see it as such a big deal to start Marty in half of the games remaining. I would not have said that at the start of the year, but I said it with 15 games remaining and now. I see nothing wrong with saying 'what the hell' at this point. It doesn't mean we'll throw away the season at all, because again, I don't think either goalie has has given us a better chance to win lately.

#145 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

I can't really disagree with any of this. Marty is certainly worse this year than last and so on....All I'm saying is that when playing either goalie hasn't proven to make us more successful this season, I don't see it as such a big deal to start Marty in half of the games remaining. I would not have said that at the start of the year, but I said it with 15 games remaining and now. I see nothing wrong with saying 'what the hell' at this point. It doesn't mean we'll throw away the season at all, because again, I don't think either goalie has has given us a better chance to win lately.

I don't see why this is in the future tense - we HAVE thrown the season away.  Given that, just let them all be Marty in Montreal starts, who cares.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#146 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

I don't see why this is in the future tense - we HAVE thrown the season away.  Given that, just let them all be Marty in Montreal starts, who cares.

You know you're being dramatic here. Why so upset? This team performed about as well as it could with either goalie in net. We didn't throw the season away, we just don't have that great a team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users