87 replies to this topic

#41 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

I wanted to see pics but now that LD decided to be all creepy, I am not sure. It's like DD56 said.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#42 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

i dunno this darth guy and Lucifer sound one in the fvcking same, feel bad for both of them, truth.

Edited by lazer, 24 March 2014 - 12:16 AM.

Posted Image

#43 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

This is awesome, love to hear these personal experiences with the players and Devils staff (if that's the right word).

Although I will say, I'd be worried about Henrique snatching that girl of yours.  Isn't this like..the 4th time he's picked her out of the crowd at some point?! :lol:

I'm just waiting for the thread "You won't believe what that bastard Henrique did.."

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#44 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Would love to see the pics.  Sounds like an awesome time all-around. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#45 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

Everyone was awesome and waved and talked to fans except, oddly enough, Clowe. He kept his head down and walked to the bus, didn't acknowledge the fans telling him good luck or shouting positive things towards him. I get it if you don't want to sign, but it takes zero effort to wave. He even ignored the 9 year old waiting near the bus, just walked straight past her. Lost a little respect for him after that.

I'll give Clowe the benefit of the doubt. Dude's a Spartan from what I can tell this season, and was probably in intense game-mode. I know people who met him in a non-game situation (off-day) who said he was super nice and awesome.

#46 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

In regards to Clowe, I have never met the guy but he doesn't seem like a very personable fellow. I don't really have a problem with that either. Some people don't enjoy interacting with people and want to keep to themselves. I don't think that just because he's a professional athlete he needs to change that.

#47 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

This is awesome, love to hear these personal experiences with the players and Devils staff (if that's the right word).

Although I will say, I'd be worried about Henrique snatching that girl of yours.  Isn't this like..the 4th time he's picked her out of the crowd at some point?! :lol:

I'm just waiting for the thread "You won't believe what that bastard Henrique did.."

Shhh... let's not give her any ideas

Would love to see the pics.  Sounds like an awesome time all-around. 

Busy day at school today, I'll post a few either tonight or tomorrow.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#48 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

In regards to Clowe, I have never met the guy but he doesn't seem like a very personable fellow. I don't really have a problem with that either. Some people don't enjoy interacting with people and want to keep to themselves. I don't think that just because he's a professional athlete he needs to change that.

I've always thought players who aren't necessarily "friendly" doesn't make them a$$holes by design...sometimes they get an unfair rap in this regard.  Just like every group of people, you'll find some that are shy, quiet, reserved, guarded, and not terribly comfortable with strangers in either small or large numbers (but could be the best friend or relative you'd ever want to have if you really knew him).  Some players are comfortable doing their thing on the field, court, ice, whatever, but aren't into the other stuff that comes with it (appearances, signing autographs, etc).  And sometimes it's nothing more than maybe a guy having a bad day and not wanting to be bothered.  There was a guy who used to post here that would instantly call players "douches" who didn't fall over themselves and weren't smiling ear-to-ear to sign for him and act like his pal.  Always felt that was extremely unfair.    

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#49 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

There was a guy who used to post here that would instantly call players "douches" who didn't fall over themselves and weren't smiling ear-to-ear to sign for him and act like his pal.  Always felt that was extremely unfair.    

Not to elevate myself, because I have had some interesting player interactions a la Scott Gomez, but I think there is a whole lot of fans who see it this way, not just a few; that no matter what they do they are right because they are just the 'little old fans' and the players can only be wrong because they are paid athletes. I can imagine if I was a reclusive guy it would ruin my whole career experience to have to shake every hand and answer every question - it shouldn't be a requirement of playing in the league.

Then again there are some players who are just plain rude.

Edited by Neb00rs, 24 March 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#50 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Not to elevate myself, because I have had some interesting player interactions a la Scott Gomez, but I think there is a whole lot of fans who see it this way, not just a few; that no matter what they do they are right because they are just the 'little old fans' and the players can only be wrong because they are paid athletes. I can imagine if I was a reclusove guy it would ruin my whole career experience to have to shake every hand and answer every question - it shouldn't be a requirement of playing in the league.

Then again there are some players who are just plain rude.

This is why Wayne Gretzky doesn't get enough credit for the person he is and the ambassador he has been for the sport. You go through his entire career, and the only blemish on his record is a comment he said about the Devils organization when he was 22 or 23? On a side note, he wasn't wrong and only made the comments because his good friend Ron Lowe kept getting embarrassed night in and night out playing behind such a bad team. The quote was:

They better stop running a Mickey Mouse organization and put somebody on the ice. I feel damn sorry for Ron Low and Chico Resch."

Anyway, pretty much that's all the controversy from him in 30 years. Furthermore, he remembers what it was like to be a kid and meet his idols, and how much it meant to him, so he pretty much never turns down an autograph. And when you are Wayne Gretzky and don't turn down an autograph, that means he pretty much signs all day everyday. He doesn't have time to say much and there really isn't any smiling either, but it is the life he was given. He always says that hockey has given him and his family so much, that he feels obligated to give back. If you see Gretzky at a hockey in a box, he spends the entire game being passed photos and jerseys from the crowd and signs over and over. There isn't even a number I wouldn't believe in regards to how many autographs he has signed in his lifetime. 5 million? 10 million?

This is Gretzky at pretty much every public event:

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#51 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

I've always thought players who aren't necessarily "friendly" doesn't make them a$$holes by design...sometimes they get an unfair rap in this regard.  Just like every group of people, you'll find some that are shy, quiet, reserved, guarded, and not terribly comfortable with strangers in either small or large numbers (but could be the best friend or relative you'd ever want to have if you really knew him).  Some players are comfortable doing their thing on the field, court, ice, whatever, but aren't into the other stuff that comes with it (appearances, signing autographs, etc).  And sometimes it's nothing more than maybe a guy having a bad day and not wanting to be bothered.  There was a guy who used to post here that would instantly call players "douches" who didn't fall over themselves and weren't smiling ear-to-ear to sign for him and act like his pal.  Always felt that was extremely unfair.    

This is true, but there have been a few players who come across as complete jackasses.  There are a few players whom almost every story I have heard from various fans, including those of their own team, have met them and the player was outright rude or nasty towards them and I think those players should be ashamed of themselves.

There was once a thread about this on a gameworn jersey forum a bit ago about which players who were nice in person and who were the worst.  The most common name for the worst of the worst?  Mark Messier.

#52 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

This is true, but there have been a few players who come across as complete jackasses.  There are a few players whom almost every story I have heard from various fans, including those of their own team, have met them and the player was outright rude or nasty towards them and I think those players should be ashamed of themselves.

There was once a thread about this on a gameworn jersey forum a bit ago about which players who were nice in person and who were the worst.  The most common name for the worst of the worst?  Mark Messier.

Same thing as before...in any cross-section, you're going to get people who aren't very nice, rude, have zero beside manners, etc...professional athletes aren't going to be any different.  Unfortunately I think a lot of guys who aren't necessarily people-persons get slapped with the same A-hole brush. 

Messier doesn't surprise me, mostly because he comes off as strange guy who doesn't know how to stop being the "character" of Mark Messier for five seconds.  I posted this a while ago, but after the Rangers won the Cup, he went on the Howard Stern show with Brian Leetch.  Leetch wasn't always comfortable with the vibe of the show and seemed a bit overwhelmed, but at least recognized what the overall jist was and tried to go with it the best that he could.  Messier was exactly the same Messier he was everywhere else back then...way too deadly serious and didn't seem to have any idea he was on a friggin' COMEDY show.  I remember thinking "Jesus, this guy can't lighten up, he doesn't even know how...he's like this all of the friggin' time!"  I remember wondering what the hell he was going to do with himself if he didn't have a Cup to win as a mission...which is why I'm not at all surprised he hung on as long as he did.    

#30 FOREVER!

#53 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Same thing as before...in any cross-section, you're going to get people who aren't very nice, rude, have zero beside manners, etc...professional athletes aren't going to be any different.  Unfortunately I think a lot of guys who aren't necessarily people-persons get slapped with the same A-hole brush. 

Messier doesn't surprise me, mostly because he comes off as strange guy who doesn't know how to stop being the "character" of Mark Messier for five seconds.  I posted this a while ago, but after the Rangers won the Cup, he went on the Howard Stern show with Brian Leetch.  Leetch wasn't always comfortable with the vibe of the show and seemed a bit overwhelmed, but at least recognized what the overall jist was and tried to go with it the best that he could.  Messier was exactly the same Messier he was everywhere else back then...way too deadly serious and didn't seem to have any idea he was on a friggin' COMEDY show.  I remember thinking "Jesus, this guy can't lighten up, he doesn't even know how...he's like this all of the friggin' time!"  I remember wondering what the hell he was going to do with himself if he didn't have a Cup to win as a mission...which is why I'm not at all surprised he hung on as long as he did.    

I remember you telling that story a while back and it is indeed how he comes off a lot.  You said it best back then when he was like the Terminator at that time; just cold, without mercy, and was totally focused on his mission.

There have been stories from even Ranger fans of how he is really hard to get an autograph from as he will only really sign if he is getting paid.  There are some stories where he made young children cry for refusing right to their faces that he doesn't want to sign anything for them.  For all I know these stories might be exagerrated, but many collectors I have talked to and seen online say the exact same things about him and that he is a 100% jackass who rarely seems to have a "good day."

#54 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

This is why Wayne Gretzky doesn't get enough credit for the person he is and the ambassador he has been for the sport. You go through his entire career, and the only blemish on his record is a comment he said about the Devils organization when he was 22 or 23? On a side note, he wasn't wrong and only made the comments because his good friend Ron Lowe kept getting embarrassed night in and night out playing behind such a bad team. The quote was:

wasnt there a gambling ring (in new jersey) that he let his wife take the fall for?

Posted Image

#55 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,047 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

If I met Mark Messier in person, I'd assault him. He's a fvcking piece of sh!t. I've never hated an athlete more than I hate Mark Messier, for several reasons.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#56 CHIP72

CHIP72

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

Furthermore, (Gretzky) remembers what it was like to be a kid and meet his idols, and how much it meant to him, so he pretty much never turns down an autograph. And when you are Wayne Gretzky and don't turn down an autograph, that means he pretty much signs all day everyday. He doesn't have time to say much and there really isn't any smiling either, but it is the life he was given. He always says that hockey has given him and his family so much, that he feels obligated to give back. If you see Gretzky at a hockey in a box, he spends the entire game being passed photos and jerseys from the crowd and signs over and over. There isn't even a number I wouldn't believe in regards to how many autographs he has signed in his lifetime. 5 million? 10 million?

The above quote about Wayne Gretzky reminds me of a story told in the joint Larry Bird/Magic Johnson biography that came out a few years ago.  Back in the early 1980s, a boy and his father asked Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for his autograph; I think it was on the day of a game.  Kareem can be a personable, funny guy (see the movie Airplane), but usually he comes across as extremely serious.  He totally blew the kid and his father off, and the boy was understandably upset.  Magic sees this, and says he'll sign for him; he also was willing to take pictures with them.  Fast forward 25 years, and Magic gets introduced to the CEO of a company that has interest in working with Magic.  That CEO was the kid Magic was nice to back in the early 1980s, and that now-man didn't forget that.

There have been stories from even Ranger fans of how he is really hard to get an autograph from as he will only really sign if he is getting paid.  There are some stories where he made young children cry for refusing right to their faces that he doesn't want to sign anything for them.  For all I know these stories might be exagerrated, but many collectors I have talked to and seen online say the exact same things about him and that he is a 100% jackass who rarely seems to have a "good day."

The description of Mark Messier sounds a lot like Pete Rose, who in many ways has a personality like Messier's.  One of my brothers likes to collect autographs, and he's told me Rose refuses to sign for free.  Additionally, when he does sign, every additional comment he signs costs extra.  As an example, if Rose were to sign a ball that says "Pete Rose, 4256, Hit King", the autograph seeker would need to pay for "Pete Rose", "4256", and "Hit King" if he wanted all three things on a ball or whatever Rose was signing.

Edited by CHIP72, 24 March 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#57 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

The description of Mark Messier sounds a lot like Pete Rose, who in many ways has a personality like Messier's.  One of my brothers likes to collect autographs, and he's told me Rose refuses to sign for free.  Additionally, when he does sign, every additional comment he signs costs extra.  As an example, if Rose were to sign a ball that says "Pete Rose, 4256, Hit King", the autograph seeker would need to pay for "Pete Rose", "4256", and "Hit King" if he wanted all three things on a ball or whatever Rose was signing.

It's one thing for Mark Messier to want to get paid for his autograph, but from the stories I hear the biggest thing against him is how he refuses to sign autographs.  He doesn't just gently try to shy away from it.  Instead he just flat out refuse for a kid and do it in a very rude and dismissive way.  He really seems like he has a stick up his ass most times and like CR1976 said, is in this sort of "serious Messier" schtick coma for eternity.

As for charging more for inscriptions, thats extremely common now.  Scott Stevens is not exactly the best with that either as pretty much every signing I have seen him do, they put up that he refuses to do any inscriptions, including stuff like "to "XXXX"" or "best wishes"  Plus I heard he is not big on conversation and from what I hear he can be a little tempermental at these things.  That is why when I see he is signing I am not exactly itching to go.

#58 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,047 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

It's one thing for Mark Messier to want to get paid for his autograph, but from the stories I hear the biggest thing against him is how he refuses to sign autographs. He doesn't just gently try to shy away from it. Instead he just flat out refuse for a kid and do it in a very rude and dismissive way. He really seems like he has a stick up his ass most times and like CR1976 said, is in this sort of "serious Messier" schtick coma for eternity.

As for charging more for inscriptions, thats extremely common now. Scott Stevens is not exactly the best with that either as pretty much every signing I have seen him do, they put up that he refuses to do any inscriptions, including stuff like "to "XXXX"" or "best wishes" Plus I heard he is not big on conversation and from what I hear he can be a little tempermental at these things. That is why when I see he is signing I am not exactly itching to go.

I don't get sh!t like 'refusing to do inscriptions'. Why? What's the big deal? Is it a time thing? Or is it just being an a$$hole for the sake of being an a$$hole? Its not like a guy like Scott Stevens needs money, so maybe its just greed...

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#59 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

I don't get sh!t like 'refusing to do inscriptions'. Why? What's the big deal? Is it a time thing? Or is it just being an a$$hole for the sake of being an a$$hole? Its not like a guy like Scott Stevens needs money, so maybe its just greed...

Could be a time thing as he always draws a crowd.  At least it's not like he is one of those athletes who charge extra for inscriptions lol.

He just has a no inscription policy for anything.

#60 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

It's one thing for Mark Messier to want to get paid for his autograph, but from the stories I hear the biggest thing against him is how he refuses to sign autographs.  He doesn't just gently try to shy away from it.  Instead he just flat out refuse for a kid and do it in a very rude and dismissive way.  He really seems like he has a stick up his ass most times and like CR1976 said, is in this sort of "serious Messier" schtick coma for eternity.

As for charging more for inscriptions, thats extremely common now.  Scott Stevens is not exactly the best with that either as pretty much every signing I have seen him do, they put up that he refuses to do any inscriptions, including stuff like "to "XXXX"" or "best wishes"  Plus I heard he is not big on conversation and from what I hear he can be a little tempermental at these things.  That is why when I see he is signing I am not exactly itching to go.

All true. Met him at one of Dowd's clinics and he was standoffish. Maybe it was because he was in the middle of signing 500+ '95 Cup poster replicas. Although, he did sign four items for me....

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users