63 replies to this topic

#41 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,924 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

I'm not really saying that Edmonton has been that well managed.  In fact, I'm more or less agreeing with you that blowing it up, or in the Devils case, bringing in a new GM to fundamentally change things, is a risky strategy, even if it turns out we do relatively well with the draft picks and even if the GM isn't Mike Milbury bad. 

That said, some of the criticisms from the link are a little unfair.  Hemsky and Smyth were impending UFAs, so you can't really expect to get anything better than picks or prospects in return.  (Although you could call it bad asset management in letting them get that far).  A lot of those guys were traded again, and not for much of a return.

Smyth was coming off back to back 30 goal seasons and he was traded for 2 prospects and a 1st round pick in a draft considered weak - Ryan O'Marra, who had pedestrian OHL numbers, and Robert Nilsson, a guy who was in his 4th year after having been drafted and doing okay.  That's simply a trade you can't make - you have to get something better back for a player like that.  Rumor around the league was that most teams had no idea Smyth was available.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#42 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

I just want to know if there's a way Lou can take advantage of their situation for a guy like Eberle.

#43 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,169 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

I just want to know if there's a way Lou can take advantage of their situation for a guy like Eberle.

It'd almost certainly cost Larsson. Worth it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#44 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,753 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

CHIP72, one thing you're leaving out is that the Scouts/Rockies not only kept changing hands (John McMullen became Owner #5 of this franchise...the Rockies were sold twice while still in Denver), but the economy in both Kansas City AND Denver was not good at the time the Scouts and Rockies were playing there.  The unsettled ownerships led to the "gameplan" (or what passed for one) changing constantly.  It's sad in ways, because the Rockies did have some good players, many of whom actually loved playing in Colorado and really wanted to improve the team's fortunes, but the front office made some absolutely awful moves.  The worst was trading their 1983 first-round pick to the Islanders in 1981 for Dave Cameron and Bob Lorimer, neither of whom merited that kind of return.  That first-rounder became Pat LaFontaine. 

Anyway, with the ownership situation in constant flux until the franchise became the Devils, the team never really stood a chance.  I've mentioned before how cheap the Rockies' different owners often were:  uniforms with screen-printed logos and names/numbers, rented school buses occasionally used for transportation, a gutted trailer used for a locker and equipment room. 

The focus actually changed right when the Devils arrived, in that they decided they were going to build through the draft and bring in warm bodies for the NHL team that would slowly be replaced as young kids were ready to step in.  Everyone associated with the Devils at that time knew it was going to be ugly for a while (Hector Marini, one of those "warm bodies", basically said something along the lines of "They were looking at everyone's 24th and 25th players.  You'd think a team full of guys like that wouldn't be very good.  Well, we weren't."). 

The one guy who really suffered through it all, through no fault of his own, was Chico Resch.  He had been a good to very good goalie for the Isles, but had become expendable when Billy Smith, who he had split time with during the regular season for several seasons, became the man during the 1979-80 Stanley Cup run.  He was pulled off the Islander team bus with rookie Steve Tambellini in 1981, just minutes before the trade deadline, and informed that he had been dealt to the Rockies (young Tambellini immediately burst into tears upon hearing the news).  Chico played eight games with the Rockies as they finished out their season, but only needed a couple to learn what everyone else knew:  the team stunk something fierce.  He was then fed a load of crap about how the franchise was both committed to improving the on-ice product AND keeping the team in Colorado, which led him to sign a multi-year deal...less than a year later, the team was not only in a different state, but was clearly going to take slow and steady baby steps toward on-ice improvement...not exactly a welcome approach to a 34-year-old goaltender's eyes.  After his first season in NJ, he thought about demanding a trade, but to his credit (and this is why I'll always have tremendous respect for him), he decided to stick it out and be a mentor to the kids that were slowly coming up through the system...playing behind some truly god-awful teams destroyed his career numbers (he might have come close to 300 career wins if he wasn't stuck on the Devils).  That guy knew every season he was with the Devils, his team had NO chance to get to the playoffs, but he never bitched about it or complained, and tried to be as positive of an influence as possible.  He played a very important role in the Rockies'/Devils' transition from yearly train wreck to team worthy of respect.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#45 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

It'd almost certainly cost Larsson. Worth it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You mean the Larsson that our dumb-@ss coach hasn't played since the beginning of the season? Fine with me....people are starting to forget we have him anyways...

#46 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,169 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

The one guy who really suffered through it all, through no fault of his own, was Chico Resch.  He had been a good to very good goalie for the Isles, but had become expendable when Billy Smith, who he had split time with during the regular season for several seasons, became the man during the 1979-80 Stanley Cup run.  He was pulled off the Islander team bus with rookie Steve Tambellini in 1981, just minutes before the trade deadline, and informed that he had been dealt to the Rockies (young Tambellini immediately burst into tears upon hearing the news).  Chico played eight games with the Rockies as they finished out their season, but only needed a couple to learn what everyone else knew:  the team stunk something fierce.  He was then fed a load of crap about how the franchise was both committed to improving the on-ice product AND keeping the team in Colorado, which led him to sign a multi-year deal...less than a year later, the team was not only in a different state, but was clearly going to take slow and steady baby steps toward on-ice improvement...not exactly a welcome approach to a 34-year-old goaltender's eyes.  After his first season in NJ, he thought about demanding a trade, but to his credit (and this is why I'll always have tremendous respect for him), he decided to stick it out and be a mentor to the kids that were slowly coming up through the system...playing behind some truly god-awful teams destroyed his career numbers (he might have come close to 300 career wins if he wasn't stuck on the Devils).  That guy knew every season he was with the Devils, his team had NO chance to get to the playoffs, but he never bitched about it or complained, and tried to be as positive of an influence as possible.  He played a very important role in the Rockies'/Devils' transition from yearly train wreck to team worthy of respect.

I love posts like these about the Devils' history..it's admittedly before my time, and I really don't know much Devils history pre-Marty except for a few given moments.

Respect for Chico just grew, glad the Devils have taken care of him since his retirement.  It sounds like he's deserved at least what he's gotten.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#47 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

A very big +1

For years Resch was my favorite player and, in many ways, still is. It is easy to love uber talented players on winning teams and so on. But Resch was a good goalie working hard for a down franchise and displayed all the heart in the world. He genuinely inspired me as a kid. At the time I was playing baseball on a team even worse than the Devils ever were. We went 7-71 in three seasons. No, that's not a typo. Some of the other kids quit, asked to go to other teams, whatever. People like Chico made me stick it out and I'm glad I did, but that was a rough three years for a little kid.

As an aside, not long after the Devils got to Jersey the NHL held the all star game here in NJ, I suppose to help give the franchise a boost. Anyway, I remember thinking that we hardly had anyone who could make the "all star" team but we ended up with Resch and, I think, Cirella on the team that year. So I recorded the All Star game that year. I watched it a bunch of times I was so happy to see my team's players being represented alongside the NHL's best in our arena! I was just a proud little kid. My mom thought I was crazy tho. She kept saying, "Why are you watching this again, you've already seen the game?" I'd just roll my eyes, she didn't understand. Somewhere I might still have that tape. I gotta go find it....

CHIP72, one thing you're leaving out is that the Scouts/Rockies not only kept changing hands (John McMullen became Owner #5 of this franchise...the Rockies were sold twice while still in Denver), but the economy in both Kansas City AND Denver was not good at the time the Scouts and Rockies were playing there. The unsettled ownerships led to the "gameplan" (or what passed for one) changing constantly. It's sad in ways, because the Rockies did have some good players, many of whom actually loved playing in Colorado and really wanted to improve the team's fortunes, but the front office made some absolutely awful moves. The worst was trading their 1983 first-round pick to the Islanders in 1981 for Dave Cameron and Bob Lorimer, neither of whom merited that kind of return. That first-rounder became Pat LaFontaine.

Anyway, with the ownership situation in constant flux until the franchise became the Devils, the team never really stood a chance. I've mentioned before how cheap the Rockies' different owners often were: uniforms with screen-printed logos and names/numbers, rented school buses occasionally used for transportation, a gutted trailer used for a locker and equipment room.

The focus actually changed right when the Devils arrived, in that they decided they were going to build through the draft and bring in warm bodies for the NHL team that would slowly be replaced as young kids were ready to step in. Everyone associated with the Devils at that time knew it was going to be ugly for a while (Hector Marini, one of those "warm bodies", basically said something along the lines of "They were looking at everyone's 24th and 25th players. You'd think a team full of guys like that wouldn't be very good. Well, we weren't.").

The one guy who really suffered through it all, through no fault of his own, was Chico Resch. He had been a good to very good goalie for the Isles, but had become expendable when Billy Smith, who he had split time with during the regular season for several seasons, became the man during the 1979-80 Stanley Cup run. He was pulled off the Islander team bus with rookie Steve Tambellini in 1981, just minutes before the trade deadline, and informed that he had been dealt to the Rockies (young Tambellini immediately burst into tears upon hearing the news). Chico played eight games with the Rockies as they finished out their season, but only needed a couple to learn what everyone else knew: the team stunk something fierce. He was then fed a load of crap about how the franchise was both committed to improving the on-ice product AND keeping the team in Colorado, which led him to sign a multi-year deal...less than a year later, the team was not only in a different state, but was clearly going to take slow and steady baby steps toward on-ice improvement...not exactly a welcome approach to a 34-year-old goaltender's eyes. After his first season in NJ, he thought about demanding a trade, but to his credit (and this is why I'll always have tremendous respect for him), he decided to stick it out and be a mentor to the kids that were slowly coming up through the system...playing behind some truly god-awful teams destroyed his career numbers (he might have come close to 300 career wins if he wasn't stuck on the Devils). That guy knew every season he was with the Devils, his team had NO chance to get to the playoffs, but he never bitched about it or complained, and tried to be as positive of an influence as possible. He played a very important role in the Rockies'/Devils' transition from yearly train wreck to team worthy of respect.

Edited by AEWHistory, 25 March 2014 - 01:41 PM.

Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#48 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,753 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

A very big +1

For years Resch was my favorite player and, in many ways, still is. It is easy to love uber talented players on winning teams and so on. But Resch was a good goalie working hard for a down franchise and displayed all the heart in the world. He genuinely inspired me as a kid. At the time I was playing baseball on a team even worse than the Devils ever were. We went 7-71 in three seasons. No, that's not a typo. Some of the other kids quit, asked to go to other teams, whatever. People like Chico made me stick it out and I'm glad I did, but that was a rough three years for a little kid.

As an aside, not long after the Devils got to Jersey the NHL held the all star game here in NJ, I suppose to help give the franchise a boost. Anyway, I remember thinking that we hardly had anyone who could make the "all star" team but we ended up with Resch and, I think, Cirella on the team that year. So I recorded the All Star game that year. I watched it a bunch of times I was so happy to see my team's players being represented alongside the NHL's best in our arena! I was just a proud little kid. My mom thought I was crazy tho. She kept saying, "Why are you watching this again, you've already seen the game?" I'd just roll my eyes, she didn't understand. Somewhere I might still have that tape. I gotta go find it....

http://blogs.denverp...6/devils/16442/

It was good to see Devils broadcaster Glenn “Chico” Resch at the Avalanche morning skate today, prepping for tonight’s Avalanche-Devils game. And when he was talking with Patrick Roy, it struck me that I was looking at the top goalies in each of Denver’s two stints in the NHL.

Resch was more than a goalie, too, in his little over a year of minding the net for the Colorado Rockies. He was a tremendous ambassador for the beleaguered team and the game, essentially acting as their public face and player spokesman during the bizarre final season the team was here before it was moved to New Jersey in 1982 and became the Devils.

I have a DVD of a Rockies-Blues game from January 1982 (Rockies actually won 7-1 in Denver).  Chico came on during the second intermission, though his interview had clearly been taped before the game.  He couldn't have been more of a stand-up guy, trying to sound positive and upbeat, saying that for the team to have a chance to win, it would all have to start with him, even though he knew Ken Dryden couldn't have done much with the team Chico was playing behind.  He also said that there was nothing they could do about the constant rumors involving the franchise moving (it was becoming more and more clear that the franchise was done in Colorado...the move to NJ was less than five months away, though throughout the broadcast, NJ was never mentioned by name), and that to feel sorry for themselves (especially when they were all making pretty decent money) was pointless.  But not once in that interview did he criticize any of his teammates or the team's play, his coach, the ownership, or throw anyone under the bus.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#49 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,174 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

The Oilers and Devils are so different, they have the assets and got the shot at players that could make a difference but they have such a bad system and are so badly balanced that they are not doing any better.

The Oilers are simply badly managed, can't even remember how they got so bad but their rebuild was also bad. You don't go after a guy like Perron when you already have like 5 players like that.

For us, what killed us is our drafting in the last 10 years + losing so much top talent for nothing. We have a system and everything down but we're lacking skills and assets to make anything happen at this point.

It's like having Michael Schumacher racing with a golf cart VS a 6 years old driving a Ferrari... 

www.SterioDesign.com

#50 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

The Oilers and Devils are so different, they have the assets and got the shot at players that could make a difference but they have such a bad system and are so badly balanced that they are not doing any better.

The Oilers are simply badly managed, can't even remember how they got so bad but their rebuild was also bad. You don't go after a guy like Perron when you already have like 5 players like that.

For us, what killed us is our drafting in the last 10 years + losing so much top talent for nothing. We have a system and everything down but we're lacking skills and assets to make anything happen at this point.

It's like having Michael Schumacher racing with a golf cart VS a 6 years old driving a Ferrari... 

Getting Perron is still a win for them, they gave up very little and he's made one of their more coveted players expendable.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#51 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

Oilers will have to bite the bullet and make some roster changes. The problem isn't bringing in talent it's where the talent is and how it all works together.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#52 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

Oilers will have to bite the bullet and make some roster changes. The problem isn't bringing in talent it's where the talent is and how it all works together.

Yep, don't really know what's taking so long. Any of their top kid forwards would probably yield a good enough return to start improving their defense dramatically and implementing a better system from top to bottom. And yet season after season, they keep coming back on opening night with their same stacked 22 year old average offense and no defense.

#53 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

http://blogs.denverp...6/devils/16442/

It was good to see Devils broadcaster Glenn “Chico” Resch at the Avalanche morning skate today, prepping for tonight’s Avalanche-Devils game. And when he was talking with Patrick Roy, it struck me that I was looking at the top goalies in each of Denver’s two stints in the NHL.

Resch was more than a goalie, too, in his little over a year of minding the net for the Colorado Rockies. He was a tremendous ambassador for the beleaguered team and the game, essentially acting as their public face and player spokesman during the bizarre final season the team was here before it was moved to New Jersey in 1982 and became the Devils.

I have a DVD of a Rockies-Blues game from January 1982 (Rockies actually won 7-1 in Denver).  Chico came on during the second intermission, though his interview had clearly been taped before the game.  He couldn't have been more of a stand-up guy, trying to sound positive and upbeat, saying that for the team to have a chance to win, it would all have to start with him, even though he knew Ken Dryden couldn't have done much with the team Chico was playing behind.  He also said that there was nothing they could do about the constant rumors involving the franchise moving (it was becoming more and more clear that the franchise was done in Colorado...the move to NJ was less than five months away, though throughout the broadcast, NJ was never mentioned by name), and that to feel sorry for themselves (especially when they were all making pretty decent money) was pointless.  But not once in that interview did he criticize any of his teammates or the team's play, his coach, the ownership, or throw anyone under the bus.   

This is terrific. Chico was already easy to like, but this really demonstrates his character. He's an A1 guy.

What's sad is that Devils fans today know little of Chico's service to the team in the early days and they simply see him as 'that loveable clown' who does the broadcasts. I can't say I'm not guilty of this.

Edited by Neb00rs, 26 March 2014 - 11:27 AM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#54 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

I started watching around 1989 so Chico was before my time as a player and he wasn't really involved with broadcasting until way later so I never really knew too much about him and what he has done for this organization. Thanks for the info CR1976. Definitely brings up the respect level. Still prefer the Gary Thorne/Bill Clement days (for broadcasting) but that's probably just nostalgia.

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 26 March 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#55 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

This is terrific. Chico was already easy to like, but this really demonstrates his character. He's an A1 guy.

What's sad is that Devils fans today know little of Chico's service to the team in the early days and they simply see him as 'that loveable clown' who does the broadcasts. I can't say I'm not guilty of this.

This fanbase has a horrible disconnect of anything that not only happened in the 1980's to this team (not that they missed much except Spring of 1988, but it's still nice to embrace roots), but pretty much anything up until 1994 only because that was the Devils/Rangers Series. 

There's a poster on HF that makes me laugh and i think of him in this instance. He's an STH and was in one thread talking/complaining about ways to improve fan experience and offering all these suggestions he wants to forward to the owners, but he had no clue if the Devils wore a patch on their jerseys during their first season or if Chico Resch was the goaltender.

i used to love it with Yankees fans who in the time before the "new dynasty" couldn't name any of the shortstops in the 90's before Derek Jeter if their lives depended on it, think Jim Abbott is "that one-handed guy" (and not know he threw a no hitter as a Yankee), and the staff ace was once Melido Perez. For the sheer hell of it, wouldn't know Mel Hall, Jessie Barfield or Steve Sax if they were offered money to look at their pictures and guess. 

Edited by TheRedStorm, 26 March 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#56 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,753 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

The Devils really needed a perpetually upbeat guy like Chico to keep everyone sane in the old days.  No one likes being a non-factor year after year after year, and playing for a team that goes a combined 52-154-35 in your first three full seasons (one with the Rockies, two with the Devils) and isn't honest about the immediate future had to be hard on him...especially coming from an organization like the Islanders.  What was interesting was that those Devils teams actually started to show signs of improvement from '84-'85 on, but would always fall off a cliff at about 30 games in or so:

In '84-'85 they went 11-15-4 in their first 30 GP, then went 11-33-6 the rest of the way.

In '85-'86 they were 12-13-1, then 16-35-2.  (Chico was traded to the Flyers at the deadline.) 

'86-'87 they went 16-14-2, then 13-31-4.   

It was too bad Chico never got to experience a little of '87-'88...if anyone truly deserved to, it was him.   

I started watching around 1989 so Chico was before my time as a player and he wasn't really involved with broadcasting until way later so I never really knew too much about him and what he has done for this organization. Thanks for the info CR1976. Definitely brings up the respect level. Still prefer the Gary Thorne/Bill Clement days (for broadcasting) but that's probably just nostalgia.

I'm definitely going to miss him when he leaves the booth.  And his interaction with the fans off-screen was pretty awesome. 

#30 FOREVER!

#57 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

The Devils really needed a perpetually upbeat guy like Chico to keep everyone sane in the old days.  No one likes being a non-factor year after year after year, and playing for a team that goes a combined 52-154-35 in your first three full seasons (one with the Rockies, two with the Devils) and isn't honest about the immediate future had to be hard on him...especially coming from an organization like the Islanders.  What was interesting was that those Devils teams actually started to show signs of improvement from '84-'85 on, but would always fall off a cliff at about 30 games in or so:

In '84-'85 they went 11-15-4 in their first 30 GP, then went 11-33-6 the rest of the way.

In '85-'86 they were 12-13-1, then 16-35-2.  (Chico was traded to the Flyers at the deadline.) 

'86-'87 they went 16-14-2, then 13-31-4.   

It was too bad Chico never got to experience a little of '87-'88...if anyone truly deserved to, it was him.   

I'm definitely going to miss him when he leaves the booth.  And his interaction with the fans off-screen was pretty awesome. 

Wasn't Chico traded to the Flyers with the thought that was the last piece of the puzzle to win a cup and only about a year in was surpassed by Hextall?  I thought I remember hearing him mention that and that he was also seen as a mentor to Hextall for a few years before Hextall would take over, but Chico didn't think it would happen so quickly and was disappointed he was overshadowed again like he was on Long Island.

#58 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

This fanbase has a horrible disconnect of anything that not only happened in the 1980's to this team (not that they missed much except Spring of 1988, but it's still nice to embrace roots), but pretty much anything up until 1994 only because that was the Devils/Rangers Series. 

There's a poster on HF that makes me laugh and i think of him in this instance. He's an STH and was in one thread talking/complaining about ways to improve fan experience and offering all these suggestions he wants to forward to the owners, but he had no clue if the Devils wore a patch on their jerseys during their first season or if Chico Resch was the goaltender.

i used to love it with Yankees fans who in the time before the "new dynasty" couldn't name any of the shortstops in the 90's before Derek Jeter if their lives depended on it, think Jim Abbott is "that one-handed guy" (and not know he threw a no hitter as a Yankee), and the staff ace was once Melido Perez. For the sheer hell of it, wouldn't know Mel Hall, Jessie Barfield or Steve Sax if they were offered money to look at their pictures and guess. 

This is very true about a lot of fans, but this is the double-edged sword of having a team that became a powerhouse for a long time (Devils have had a solid 15 years of being one).  You bring in a lot of new fans during this time, but that is what they are, new.  You would think that most, if not all, would take a look back as to how the team got there, but a lot of them either really don't know or don't care.

It's just the nature of the beast.

#59 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,753 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

Wasn't Chico traded to the Flyers with the thought that was the last piece of the puzzle to win a cup and only about a year in was surpassed by Hextall?  I thought I remember hearing him mention that and that he was also seen as a mentor to Hextall for a few years before Hextall would take over, but Chico didn't think it would happen so quickly and was disappointed he was overshadowed again like he was on Long Island.

I hadn't heard anything about that...if that's true, not sure how he could have been disappointed...he was 37 years old when he was dealt, and 38 by the start of the '86-'87 season.  Not sure why he would've expected to get the lion's share of starts, especially with Bob Froese still in the mix (he was coming off a season in '85-'86 where he was the Vezina runner-up)...he was the incumbent starter, and about 10 years younger than Chico.  I think Philly traded for Chico to get an experienced backup, not to become their #1.  The guy Hextall actually forced into a backup role (and made expendable...he was traded to the Rangers during the season) was Froese. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 26 March 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#60 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

I hadn't heard anything about that...if that's true, not sure how he could have been disappointed...he was 37 years old when he was dealt, and 38 by the start of the '86-'87 season.  Not sure why he would've expected to get the lion's share of starts, especially with Bob Froese still in the mix (he was coming off a season in '85-'86 where he was the Vezina runner-up)...he was the incumbent starter, and about 10 years younger than Chico.  I think Philly traded for Chico to get an experienced backup, not to become their #1.  The guy Hextall actually forced into a backup role (and made expendable...he was traded to the Rangers during the season) was Froese. 

Is it weird that I can't picture Philly with all that competent goaltending, and that's on the heels of the late Pelle Lindbergh the year before Froese was the Vezina runner up

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users