57 replies to this topic

#1 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

it's posted on Fischler's twitter. Not sure how true this is but its interesting. Apparently it could be bought out before next season

https://twitter.com/StanFischler

Edited by grcenter47, 24 March 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#2 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Clarkson only makes $1mm per year which scales up to $2mm for the 2016 and 2017 seasons, then back to $1mm...  the rest is in guaranteed bonuses for some bit of cap relief, but yea, he has a rock solid contract that almost was written with the assumption on his side that the Leafs would buy him out.

http://www.pensionpl...ly-buyout-proof

clarkson.png

http://www.pensionpl...on-buyout-chart
clarksonbuyout.png

Edited by aylbert, 24 March 2014 - 08:54 PM.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#3 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

LOL WTF?!

It can't be an amnesty either.  It has to be a regular buyout.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#4 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

The Leafs still have to pay him about 90% of his contract if they bought him out lol...if they buy him out after one season the Clarkson signing would immediately pass anything the Rangers ever did for stupidity.

#5 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,383 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

Fischler says there is talk about it, nothing decided. I doubt it happens this soon. Pension Plan Puppets has a pretty solid post examining his contract and how a buyout wouldn't really help the Leafs this summer, or that much at all down the road.

It would appear that the Leafs, in their infinite wisdom, managed to give David Clarkson what is perhaps the NHL's first buyout-proof contract.  Including the $4.5m he is earning this season, a buyout this June would net Clarkson something like $34m; or roughly 93% of the total value of the contract. A buyout would save the Leafs almost nothing ($2.6m or so).

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#6 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,283 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

Just Fischler making stuff up. Nothing to see here.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#7 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,641 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

Keep the women and children indoors, Stan Fischler is out and about.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#8 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

Its like the slight rumor of the Knicks trying to trade for Jeremy Lin because I would laugh so hard for doing something that stupid so I hope its true

#9 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

Fischler is still confused about why the New York Americans aren't playing anymore.

#10 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,280 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

grampa.png

Photo:  Stan Fischler discusses potential Clarkson buyout with his sources Monday evening.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 24 March 2014 - 11:29 PM.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#11 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

Photo:  Stan Fischler discusses potential Clarkson buyout with his sources Monday evening.

Fischler's story starts in nineteen-dickety-two. He had to use the word "dickety" because the Kaiser had stolen his word "twenty"....

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 24 March 2014 - 11:35 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#12 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:40 PM

Stan Fischler still walks around with an onion tied to his belt.

#13 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

Which was the fashion at the time.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#14 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,641 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:42 AM

He had relatively little choice...because of the war.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#15 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:15 AM

Fischler has eaten too many hats.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#16 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:01 AM

I'm sure it's been talked about because of just how terrible at hockey he really is but Nonis doing so would likely invite an immediate firing. They have to give him at least another year or probably two in Toronto.

And no we don't want him or Kovalchuk coming back. Ever.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#17 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

And no we don't want him or Kovalchuk coming back. Ever.

Clarkson seemed to thrive in the Devils environment, Kovy would be our best offensive player, so yeah, I'd take em both back.

Posted Image

#18 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:28 AM

Clarkson seemed to thrive in the Devils environment, Kovy would be our best offensive player, so yeah, I'd take em both back.

No to Clarkson...nothing against him really, just fed up with ex-Devils getting (usually disappointing) second tours of duty.  Clarkson had his time here...just feels like it's over.  And I can't say he really "thrived"...his play frustrated a lot of people quite often, and he got his fair share of criticism.  Wasn't like it was all good with him.

If Kovy was the Kovy of old, I wouldn't be entirely dead-set against it, but he isn't.  In the KHL regular season and playoffs combined, he's put 19 goals and 25 assists in 53 GP...not really great.  Shooting% is not great either (9.3), and it's against lesser goaltending to boot.  And I'll always feel that part of the reason he left was that he knew he was on the decline and wasn't going to live up to his deal in the years to come, and had a chance to still earn a lot of coin while playing in a LOT less games.   

But if he were to come back to the NHL after a season or two in the K, then I'm sorry, he's a phony, after talking about being homesick.  And if the Devils took him back, what if he struggled for 20 games or so, to the tune of 3 goals and 3 assists or something like that, found the NHL to be too much for him, and said "Screw it, I gave it a shot, but I'm going back to Russia."  I don't know how the Devils can trust him.  And like I said, I'd need to be 100% sure that he can even be the old Kovy (who had plenty of warts in his game even after he was properly coached) before I'd even entertain the thought of bringing him back.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 25 March 2014 - 06:30 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#19 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

No to Clarkson. We have Clowe.

And he's not being bought out. That's a ridiculous rumor.

#20 mfitz804

mfitz804

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

I can't imagine them doing that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users