57 replies to this topic

#21 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

Id take Clarkson back as a 4th line shooter, if there is such a thing. with a 3rd/4th line contract

#22 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

Clarkson should replace Bernier on the RW of CBGB, book it.

#23 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

Used to like Stan Fischler's news and notes back in the day. I used to tape most games. If we had a really good win, I'd save it. Going back months/years later and re-watching the games, his predictions rarely if ever panned out, unless it was something everyone knew already.  That said, I like Stan, and if he makes stuff up, well then it's no different than Brooks or (N)Єverson did.

#24 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

I can't stand Stan, never did. It's hard to watch his interviews if you're squeamish. He's creepy and weird to the players and sh!t gets so awkward with the questions he asks. He bothers me. Though, I don't deny his long history in the sport and extensive knowledge of the game.

Edited by Neb00rs, 25 March 2014 - 11:40 AM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#25 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

I remember two awkward Stan-Devil interviews in particular.  One was with Bernie Nicholls...Nicholls had scored a goal on a two on one where he didn't pass it to the other Devil.  Stan asked him if he thought he should've passed it, to which Nicholls said "No" in a way that implied "STFU old man, I just friggin' scored a big goal."  Stan actually decided to ask him AGAIN, and it was obvious that Bernie thought Stan was out of his mind to ask him that.   

The other one I recall was with Neal Broten, sometime during '95...I think Stan implied that Broten's offensive resurgence had come as a major surprise, and basically said (in more diplomatic language) that Broten had appeared washed-up with the Stars just before he became a Devil.  Broten clearly didn't like how Stan had put it, and let him know that it was the way he had been used with the Stars that had led to his poor offensive numbers, not his age or anything related to it. 

And my father-in-law's brother looks almost EXACLTY like Stan Fischler...right down to every last tendril of his beard.  Even his hairline has receded in the same manner...everyone who was a hockey fan at my wedding noticed the frighteningly close resemblence and had a great time with it...a lot of "Happy for you guys that you're getting married and all, but I'm gonna go have a drink with the Maven" and similar cracks.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#26 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

Stan translates a hell of a lot better in book form. I've found his books to be real good reads on the sport and worth picking up if you can.

Having grown up watching him on Islanders, Rangers and Devils broadcasts in the 80's and 90's, he was a bit of an acquired taste even back then. I can only imagine what he must translate to younger fans today.

#27 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Anyone recall the failed attempt at “whiteout” at playoff home games one year?  I think it was 2002?

Anyway I used to despise Stan until that year, when he shoes up for one broadcast in a white tuxedo.  He’s been ok in my book since then

#28 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

Stan translates a hell of a lot better in book form. I've found his books to be real good reads on the sport and worth picking up if you can.

Having grown up watching him on Islanders, Rangers and Devils broadcasts in the 80's and 90's, he was a bit of an acquired taste even back then. I can only imagine what he must translate to younger fans today.

This is extremely true.  I have a large coffee-table type book at home written by him and his wife.  I think it is called "The Great Book of Hockey" if I remember correctly (I will have to check my bookcase later) and it is a great read.  It has every year from the beginning to about 1992 and they dedicate between 4-10 pages for each season.  Nice visual timeline of NHL history in book form.

#29 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

I'd take Clarkson back but only at a year at a time. Remember his drop off started after his hot start in the lockout shorten season. He was just as bad as the team was for those 20 something games there

#30 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Worth noting is that both Bernie and Neal hadn't been here long, though Bernie had played for the Rangers previously, so he should've been familiar with Fischler and his way of asking questions.  For whatever the reasons, there seem to be certain players that Stan rubs the wrong way (I never minded him at all myself). 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#31 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

I have to admit though,the Clarkson trilogy has played out much quicker than i expected. Not even a full season through and the fans turned on him. Hell, the fans have been turning on him since December/January. Gotta love the Leafs

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#32 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Once people started making Wendel Clark comparisons, Clarkson was screwed.  The only thing he can do better than Clark is stay healthy.  Clark missed a ton of games in his career.

#30 FOREVER!

#33 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

Everyone who had a pulse (outside of the Maple Leaf organization) saw this trainwreck coming from the jump.  I can't see them buying him out so soon though.  If he has another season like this one next year, he'll be back in the red and black by the beginning of the 2015-16 season.

Posted Image

#34 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

I wanted to post a picture of Chuck the Duck, cigar and all, but all I could find was..

N6R0e1C.png

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#35 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

Unfortunately, no Stan means no more Chuck.  I've tried to find a good picture of Chuck for a long time, but that is all I found as well.  At least its a funny picture. 

Posted Image

#36 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

Unfortunately, no Stan means no more Chuck.  I've tried to find a good picture of Chuck for a long time, but that is all I found as well.  At least its a funny picture.

Try searching for Matt and the Maven videos and see if you can pull a frame of Chuck.

Someone made one.  Here is a thumbnail. :)

th_Chuck_the_Duck.jpg

Edited by StarDew, 25 March 2014 - 04:59 PM.

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#37 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

Everyone who had a pulse (outside of the Maple Leaf organization) saw this trainwreck coming from the jump. I can't see them buying him out so soon though. If he has another season like this one next year, he'll be back in the red and black by the beginning of the 2015-16 season.

Good chance both Lou and Deboer are out the door at that point. So thankfully we can rule out a Clarkson return.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#38 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

You're right. Chuck is a tough guy to find online. Here's another one you might or might not have -- still not the best.

4190943261_a49a300c1f.jpg

Maybe email Matt or Stan to see if they have any better ones they can send you, LOL?

#39 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

Another one:

chuckgritsoc4.jpg

#40 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

i would like to have clarkson back for a lesser contract.. having two players like him and clowe i think could do this team some good they need that aggression.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users