#221 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

Look at this line from Brodeur in this article:

"Brodeur said he will weigh offers from other teams once he becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1. He said he hasn’t ruled out staying with the Devils, if they want him, but not with the same arrangement he’s had this season.

“I'm not saying I was promised anything but I definitely was not promised that, to sit back whenever games counted throughout the year,” Brodeur said Thursday."

Haha yeah good luck finding a team that will work around the wants and needs of a 42-year old goaltender who has lost more than a couple of steps in his game.

#222 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

Seriously. I hope Marty reads some of Potvin's quotes because some of his (Marty's) comments yesterday were disgusting

#223 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

I think Calgary or Edmonton might be possibilities for Marty. Calgary more than Edmonton because they probably won't be a playoff team. Marty could probably get the amount of games he wants there and he'd be mentoring Ramo.

No thanks to Marty as GM too. At least not here, not for a while. 

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 11 April 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#224 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

I think Calgary or Edmonton might be possibilities for Marty. Calgary more than Edmonton because they probably won't be a playoff team. Marty could probably get the amount of games he wants there and he'd be mentoring Ramo.

No thanks to Marty as GM too. At least not here, not for a while. 

Marty got about 37 starts this year and has been complaining to the press for the last few weeks that he believes he is still not getting enough playing time.  There is no way I could see either of those teams, let alone any team, give him more than that.  I really do think he will not be satisfied unless he gets 60+ starts.

#225 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

Marty got about 37 starts this year and has been complaining to the press for the last few weeks that he believes he is still not getting enough playing time.  There is no way I could see either of those teams, let alone any team, give him more than that.  I really do think he will not be satisfied unless he gets 60+ starts.

I'm just worried that if no one gives him what he wants he'll come crawling back and Lou will give him a one year deal and he'll get the same amount of games he had this year.

Calgary is really the only team I can see giving him those games. But they were pretty good towards the end of the year. Maybe they'll have a Colorado like turnaround depending on who they draft this year.

Maybe a team that wants to tank for McDavid will sign Marty and give him 60 games. So maybe he'll end up with the Pens.

#226 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

I think the number in his head is 50.  He would be "OK" with that.  He would probably grudgingly "tolerate" a split for the right team. 

He should realize that he'll be lucky to have a job at all next season, but clearly he's not capable of accepting the present yet...just wish he'd work through this on his own or with family and friends, and not through media quotes that aren't making him look good.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#227 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

I'm just worried that if no one gives him what he wants he'll come crawling back and Lou will give him a one year deal and he'll get the same amount of games he had this year.

Calgary is really the only team I can see giving him those games. But they were pretty good towards the end of the year. Maybe they'll have a Colorado like turnaround depending on who they draft this year.

Maybe a team that wants to tank for McDavid will sign Marty and give him 60 games. So maybe he'll end up with the Pens.

Only way Calgary wants him is if they're all in for McDavid

#228 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

I can see why that is a worry as Lou's leash has seemingly gotten longer over the past few years with his players.  Plus with Brodeur I could see him just not being able to help himself and sign him to a 1-year deal.  Like CR1976 has said in previous posts Lou's decision on what to do with Marty during the off-season will truly be the test as to whether Lou has officially jumped the shark or not.  Right now I feel it is a 50-50 chance unfortuantely.

As for teams tanking, I bet a few will at least try but I would think they wouldn't sign Marty because they might have a worry that he will have a little surprise surge like he did in the 2nd half of the 2011-12 season.

#229 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

Seriously, he played 37 (probably will end up 38 or 39) games this year.  How much more does he want?  He's talking as if Cory got 60.  

If you don't want to be a backup, retire.  Either retire as a starter, or accept your new role as a backup.  And just for the love of God and for all of your fans, shut your God damn mouth already Marty.  

Also, can't help but :lol: when I remember thinking "Oh this will be great, Marty can mentor Cory for a year before he goes".  Marty's ego can't apparently handle the role of mentor.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 11 April 2014 - 09:34 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#230 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

I think the number in his head is 50.  He would be "OK" with that.  He would probably grudgingly "tolerate" a split for the right team. 

He should realize that he'll be lucky to have a job at all next season, but clearly he's not capable of accepting the present yet...just wish he'd work through this on his own or with family and friends, and not through media quotes that aren't making him look good.

I have a feeling it is higher.  I don't think he wants to be known as 1A or the marginal starter.  He want to be "the man" that he was for almost 20 years in NJ.

I really wonder if Marty would be more inclined to retire if he somehow did reach the 700 win mark this year.  I have a strange feeling that's kinda what he has been shooting for.  I know its still somewhat of a conspiracy theory but I think it has some merit.  Between the 3 lockouts he has missed a solid 2 years worth of games and he played a solid 2/3 of his career when there were still ties.  I really think that maybe somewhere in the back of his mind that he is worried about that record being broken now that ties are now either wins or losses and he wants to be so far ahead to where he feels comfortable that that would never be beaten.

But again that is just still a theory of mine.

#231 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

Marty can't compete for the starting job on any team in the league.

He is having a hard time accepting that he is not good anymore but deep down he knows. He has said so pretty clearly "I am trying to prove to myself that I can still play" (or something of the sort) and that he doesn't 'necessarily need to go to a team where he can start" (or something of the sort).

He wouldn't have at least a shot on the Island?!?

At this point I think the Brodeur/Lou divorce is pretty much official.

If Marty really can't find any takers, will his pride allow him to come back to Lou with hat in hand?  I can't see it....there has been too much damage already over the past couple of months....

I can see why that is a worry as Lou's leash has seemingly gotten longer over the past few years with his players.  Plus with Brodeur I could see him just not being able to help himself and sign him to a 1-year deal.  Like CR1976 has said in previous posts Lou's decision on what to do with Marty during the off-season will truly be the test as to whether Lou has officially jumped the shark or not.  Right now I feel it is a 50-50 chance unfortuantely.

As for teams tanking, I bet a few will at least try but I would think they wouldn't sign Marty because they might have a worry that he will have a little surprise surge like he did in the 2nd half of the 2011-12 season.

If Lou resigns Marty, he should be canned immediately.

I love Marty, he is my all time favorite player.

But the way this season unfolded was nauseating.  We cannot bring Marty back under any circumstance.   Cory is the future and losing him to free agency would be a devastating blow to the organization.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#232 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

I have a feeling it is higher.  I don't think he wants to be known as 1A or the marginal starter.  He want to be "the man" that he was for almost 20 years in NJ.

I really wonder if Marty would be more inclined to retire if he somehow did reach the 700 win mark this year.  I have a strange feeling that's kinda what he has been shooting for.  I know its still somewhat of a conspiracy theory but I think it has some merit.  Between the 3 lockouts he has missed a solid 2 years worth of games and he played a solid 2/3 of his career when there were still ties.  I really think that maybe somewhere in the back of his mind that he is worried about that record being broken now that ties are now either wins or losses and he wants to be so far ahead to where he feels comfortable that that would never be beaten.

But again that is just still a theory of mine.

IMHO his record as it stands now will not be broken

It would take a special, special player to even sniff the record

Think about it; someone would need 17 consecutive 40 win seasons to even hit 680

Most players/goaltenders do not even enjoy a 17 year career.  A potential record breaker would have to come into the league very young, and play on a solid team(s) for 17 years straight; while still performing at a high level and getting 65-70 starts.

I just can't see it ever happening....

EDIT:  But I totally agree he wants that fat round 7-0-0

He also had a telling quote a couple weeks ago about how he wants his youngest son to have memories of him playing.  I can understand it....but all of the bloodshed quotes to the media were unnecessary and over the top for sure.

Edited by ThreeCups, 11 April 2014 - 10:09 AM.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#233 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

With the Leafs desire to constantly do wacky things, plus the addition of friend-of-Marty Shanahan, I wonder if Marty goes north to hang out with Clarky. Does it make sense? No. But if there's a team that would take that kind of step for headlines, it's the Leafs.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#234 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

With the Leafs desire to constantly do wacky things, plus the addition of friend-of-Marty Shanahan, I wonder if Marty goes north to hang out with Clarky. Does it make sense? No. But if there's a team that would take that kind of step for headlines, it's the Leafs.

A friend mentioned this when the Shanny news was coming out last night....

I know Shanny and Marty are friends, or at least friendly with one another....but he can't be that stupid, can he?!?

R.I.P.  Shanahammer Suspension Videos...I will miss those indeed

#235 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

A friend mentioned this when the Shanny news was coming out last night....

I know Shanny and Marty are friends, or at least friendly with one another....but he can't be that stupid, can he?!?

R.I.P.  Shanahammer Suspension Videos...I will miss those indeed

I don't think he's stupid but if there's one team I can see making that kind of mistake after blowing it this season, it's the good ole Leafs. The media up there runs that team.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#236 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

This. Lou cuts ties, he's had some bad luck, but I still trust him. We go in next year with Marty on the roster and Sal still playing over Larsson, he's done.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#237 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

This. Lou cuts ties, he's had some bad luck, but I still trust him. We go in next year with Marty on the roster and Sal still playing over Larsson, he's done.

I am afraid the sun may have set on the old man too....

#238 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

Imagine: Marty could come out before the game today and say "You know, I have been thinking, and it's been hard for me to accept, but it's time for me to put down the goalie mask. I know I have said a lot of things in the media lately but please understand it has just been very difficult for me to see the end on the horizon. All I know is hockey, all I know is the Red and Black, all I know is my glove and the crease between the pipes. I love the game, I love the Devils, and I love the fans, but this is indeed, the end for me behind the mask."

Then Debo could announce Marty as the starter vs. the Bruins today and we'd have time to celebrate the last moments of Marty in a fashion not unlike the last game of Rivera.

Okay back to reality....

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#239 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

i wish he could just accept the facts of where he is in this stage and re sign for another year as a back up..that would be a happy role for everyone
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#240 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

i wish he could just accept the facts of where he is in this stage and re sign for another year as a back up..that would be a happy role for everyone

I don't want one of the worst backups in the league.

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users