248 replies to this topic

#41 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

It's a very weird situation. I mean if we were 5 points up on a playoff spot nobody would pay much attention to him starting tonight. But we are desperate for every point. And Pete's lame ass excuse tonight is that he's playing the goalie who's not tired? Our last game was SUNDAY!?

Yeah I can't wait to see how he spins that rationalization when Marty plays tonight, Saturday and either Monday or Tuesday.  It's a moving target, whatever reason they can use to play him at the moment they will.  That's why I'm paranoid they'll trade Cory in the offseason to pacify him so Marty'll return.  Or we'll go on some miracle run to the playoffs and Cory'll want to go elsewhere where he can make his own legacy, he'll REALLY never be able to live up to the Marty legend if he goes on some last-ditch run this year.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#42 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

They could have traded him and ended this nonsense.  Or told him he's being benched if he doesn't stfu.

I think Lou tried. There probably weren't many takers, especially once Minnesota went with Bryzgalov. As for benching, who knows. Cory should have been kept the starter as soon as it was clear he was outplaying Brodeur at the halfway point.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#43 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

Yeah haha, gotta get in "fresh legs." I'm sure Schneider is completely exhausted and unable to play due to the game we played a fvcking week ago...

#44 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Yeah haha, gotta get in "fresh legs." I'm sure Schneider is completely exhausted and unable to play due to the game we played a fvcking week ago...

I'm waiting for something like

"Well, the elevator was broken Monday so Cory walked up 3 flights of stairs, and we want to keep him rested..."

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#45 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Cory hasn't even played two games in a row since the break.  Small wonder it took him till Sunday to finally get going (when he was playing his second game in four days).  The fact Marty played two of the first four games since the break when Cory was dominant going into the break and won his first game out of the break tells you that something doesn't add up. 

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#46 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

I'm done defending Marty. He's gone way too far this time.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#47 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

It's a very weird situation. I mean if we were 5 points up on a playoff spot nobody would pay much attention to him starting tonight. But we are desperate for every point. And Pete's lame ass excuse tonight is that he's playing the goalie who's not tired? Our last game was SUNDAY!?

I imagine Deboer is cringing while saying that. It is clear that is following orders. Nice built in excuse to other teams if he gets canned this off-season too.

If Deboer gets fired, he'll probably be spitting  out save percentage (the stat he apparently doesn't believe in) to every GM out there. "I went from Stanley Cup Finalist coach to a team that lost Parise, Kovalchuk, another 30-goal scorer, another 20-goal scorer, no offense, bottom 5 goaltending, and we weren't even half bad. If we could have won in the shootout, we might have been a playoff team."

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#48 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,435 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

I don't think DeBoer is being forced to play Brodeur tonight, I really, really don't.  Nothing about how the starts have been split this season suggests that.

Edited by Triumph, 27 March 2014 - 03:43 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#49 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,808 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

I don't think DeBoer is being forced to play Brodeur tonight, I really, really don't.  Nothing about how the starts have been split this season suggests that.

why isn't Lou stepping in to stop the insanity then and ordering Pete to play Cory more?

How can he be oblivious to something so obviously wrong (and yes I remember how long he stuck with Odeleins incompetence)

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#50 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

There's certainly a marked difference between the way Pete was playing Brodeur (re: not playing him) before the break and what happened immediately after it.  Lou's definitely complicit, one way or another.

#51 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

DeBoer is obviously off his rocker when it comes to personnel decisions but I really do think the goalie rotation recently has a lot to do with whatever meetings or promises or whatever took place between MB41 and Lou leading up to the deadline.  I never agreed with it but when DeBoer was using wins as justification for playing Brodeur over a guy who was playing far superior hockey based on stats and the eyeball test, I could at least see the other side of the argument.   This just gets crazier by the day.  

#52 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,435 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

why isn't Lou stepping in to stop the insanity then and ordering Pete to play Cory more?

How can he be oblivious to something so obviously wrong (and yes I remember how long he stuck with Odeleins incompetence)

Because Lou believes that there's 2 #1 goalies.  And Brodeur's play lately has not been bad.

#53 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

fvck Avery, for one thing. Hopfully he falls in a puddle of mouth herpes and drowns. fvck Marty also though... He doesn't know when to just zip it. His comments are self-centered, distracting, and annoying. As CR said- JUST SHUUUUUUUT UUUUP.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#54 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

53 posts and I still don't see where Marty came across as presented in this thread.  :noclue:

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#55 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

I still don't see where Marty came across as presented in this thread.  :noclue:

They didn't mention wanting to play for the Devils. Marty didn't mention wanting to play for the Devils. His two kids didn't mention wanting to play for the Devils.

..fans have come to terms with the fact that he's gone come July 1st.. but please, stop acting like the merry widow anytime\everytime someone sticks a microphone in your face. There's 9 games left in this circus of a season after tonight. Please, for the sake of everyone.. SHUT THE FVCK UP, and go through the motions!

Because Lou believes that there's 2 #1 goalies, and Brodeur's play lately has not been bad.

..yet, that didn't stop them from showing Schneider the bench early on in the season.. when he was losing games, but playing well. The fact is, Cory's on a winning streak and Marty's lost 3 in-a-row.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#56 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

Marty should take Salvador and Deboer and Stevens with him wherever he goes. Clean the house.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#57 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,435 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

..yet, that didn't stop them from showing Schneider the bench early on in the season.. when he was losing games, but playing well. The fact is, Cory's on a winning streak and Marty's lost 3 in-a-row.

At no point has Brodeur even had close to a run like Schneider had - he's really never done much but split.  I really think Hanlon's Razor applies here - never attribute to malice what could easily be explained by incompetence.

#58 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

For many years Marty has been saying comments that were quite egotistical and have many times try to avoid responsibility and point fingers at other players when he should have pointed them at himself.  A lot of those were swept under the rug because he and the rest of the team were winning.  Now that he is no longer winning like he used it and is way past his prime, these comments are now becoming more and more obvious to even his bigger defenders.

This is why I have said before a few times while I appreciate Marty for what he has done for the Devils over the years, he personally is still not even in my personal top 15 or 20 all-time favorite Devils players.

He NEVER takes responsibility.

Stan - "Hey Marty, what happened tonight? You let up 5 goals on 10 shots before they pulled you."

Marty - "Ouh ya know, we just let them have too much space and we didn't do enough in their end..."

NO.

Put food on my family

#59 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

cut and dry that he wont be back next year.. oh well is what it is time to keep moving forward and focus on what really matters around here
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#60 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

You know what's kinda scary?

Judging from comments on that article, facebook, twitter, etc. lots of Devils fans in general aren't really aware of just how bad Marty has been this year.  I have seen a TON of "bring him back for one more year Lou!" posts.  I mean, I get it that casual fans who aren't watching every game aren't seeing just how truly lousy Marty has been for stretches of this year.. but man last I checked, we root for the New Jersey Devils, not the New Jersey Brodeurs.  Win #700 doesn't trump the franchise's well-being.

I don't envy Lou though, I can tell you that much.  Because if he lets Marty go (which he definitely should) there's probably going to be a ton of backlash from the common fan.  Lose-lose for Lou really, sucks to be him right now.  He either screws the Devils by extending Marty, or becomes common enemy #1 to the average fan when Marty inevitably tells the media after F/A "Oh, ya know I would've loved to stay in Jersey, but I wasn't given an offer...".

Edited by Devilsfan118, 27 March 2014 - 05:15 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users