248 replies to this topic

#61 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

on April 13th at 6 pm, he can say all he wants.

Until then, STFU #30

#62 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,424 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

jackass

I'm here for the party

#63 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

I initially defended his honesty, but now it's just bad taste.  Openingly naming other teams he might play for when there's not only 10 games left in this one, but also it's well-known that the Devils will likely have to win 8+ games to squeak in?  At the rate the Devils are going, he'll be able to talk about his future and other teams in just over two weeks.  He can't friggin' wait until then?  Even if you hate it here and have had enough, can you just put a clamp on it until April 13?

+1 But you know what? This is good news for next year. If anything, this interview is A. more of a 'I'm not getting re-seigned by the Devils' statement than ever before and B. more of a 'there is a chance I might retire' statement than ever before.

Why did you remove the link? 

Avery just destroyed Marty on Twitter.

Sean Avery ‏@imseanavery 1h

Embarrassing is when u sleep with the #Nanny and get caught smiles.gif

I hate when this stuff gets posted on the boards. It's like when Marty does something douchy (he did), some posters are willing to really stoop to low personal shots at him. A Devils fan should call Marty an inconsiderate a$$hole for this, but shouldn't go to this level.

By the way, Avery has also been insulting people from New Jersey today, you should post that too.

Edited by Neb00rs, 27 March 2014 - 05:30 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#64 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

You know what's kinda scary?

Judging from comments on that article, facebook, twitter, etc. lots of Devils fans in general aren't really aware of just how bad Marty has been this year.  I have seen a TON of "bring him back for one more year Lou!" posts.  I mean, I get it that casual fans who aren't watching every game aren't seeing just how truly lousy Marty has been for stretches of this year.. but man last I checked, we root for the New Jersey Devils, not the New Jersey Brodeurs.  Win #700 doesn't trump the franchise's well-being.

I don't envy Lou though, I can tell you that much.  Because if he lets Marty go (which he definitely should) there's probably going to be a ton of backlash from the common fan.  Lose-lose for Lou really, sucks to be him right now.  He either screws the Devils by extending Marty, or becomes common enemy #1 to the average fan when Marty inevitably tells the media after F/A "Oh, ya know I would've loved to stay in Jersey, but I wasn't given an offer...".

I generally have no clue the pulse of your average Devils fan outside of this message board, but the more I have looked around lately with regards to the goalie situation, the more I see the exact same thing. The average fan sees Brodeur as an average goalie and not much difference between him and Schneider. It's pretty sad actually.

A lot of it comes down to the Devils team defense and GAA. Fans see a GAA of 2.51, or the scores that are the accumulation of these stats and don't think much else. They don't really realize how good the team's defense is and how few shots the Devils actually give up. When you give up so few shots, no matter how bad the goalie is...you aren't consistently going to get scored on so much. I think about the Leafs and James Reimer. He has not played well lately, but on the year has not been that atrocious. His save percentage is actually .006 better than Brodeur's (.908 to .902), but because he plays in front of the worst defense in the NHL, Reimer almost gives up a goal more a game (currently at 3.35). Throw Brodeur on most teams around the NHL, and he'd be embarrassed to no end with that save percentage.  Edit: Forgot to add that Reimer has taken the blame for the Leafs collapse.

Yet, so many members of the MSM sight GAA like it means a thing, but around the league, you'll see tons of goalies that stop pucks better, but will give up more goals every night.

Of course, a lot fans just have an unabashed love for Marty.

Edited by devilsrule33, 27 March 2014 - 05:33 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#65 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

why isn't Lou stepping in to stop the insanity then and ordering Pete to play Cory more?

How can he be oblivious to something so obviously wrong (and yes I remember how long he stuck with Odeleins incompetence)

Because he is not the coach. The minute a GM dictates lineup decisions, he might as well make himself the coach. I am of the belief that Lou provides the players to the coach, and leaves it up to them to figure out how the lines should be set up and what goalie is to play on any given night. Some teams may use a collaborative approach, but I don't get the feeling the devils are run that way.
Posted Image

#66 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

100% he gets a shutout tonight.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#67 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:56 PM

I hope the Devils win, but he gives up as many goals as possible. 9-8 or something ridiculous 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#68 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

I generally have no clue the pulse of your average Devils fan outside of this message board, but the more I have looked around lately with regards to the goalie situation, the more I see the exact same thing. The average fan sees Brodeur as an average goalie and not much difference between him and Schneider. It's pretty sad actually.

A lot of it comes down to the Devils team defense and GAA. Fans see a GAA of 2.51, or the scores that are the accumulation of these stats and don't think much else. They don't really realize how good the team's defense is and how few shots the Devils actually give up. When you give up so few shots, no matter how bad the goalie is...you aren't consistently going to get scored on so much. I think about the Leafs and James Reimer. He has not played well lately, but on the year has not been that atrocious. His save percentage is actually .006 better than Brodeur's (.908 to .902), but because he plays in front of the worst defense in the NHL, Reimer almost gives up a goal more a game (currently at 3.35). Throw Brodeur on most teams around the NHL, and he'd be embarrassed to no end with that save percentage.  Edit: Forgot to add that Reimer has taken the blame for the Leafs collapse.

Yet, so many members of the MSM sight GAA like it means a thing, but around the league, you'll see tons of goalies that stop pucks better, but will give up more goals every night.

bold: and why shouldn't they? Why do you look down on this? Some fans have unabashed hate for Marty bordering on ridiculous. 

Edited by Neb00rs, 27 March 2014 - 06:17 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#69 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

didn't even last 3 damn minutes.

Ottawa's gonna sure pay top dollar for that kinda talent.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#70 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Do any of you really think any other team wants brodeur at this late late stage in his career. I thought it was clear at the deadline that no one did

#71 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

Do any of you really think any other team wants brodeur at this late late stage in his career. I thought it was clear at the deadline that no one did

I sure as hell don't.

He sure as hell does.

#72 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

didn't even last 3 damn minutes.

Ottawa's gonna sure pay top dollar for that kinda talent.

This made me lol. 3 minutes bad angle shot. He can't even be unpredictable anymore. I still love Marty but I pray he hangs the up. Not for me or anyone else, but for him. This is no way for him to go out.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#73 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

This made me lol. 3 minutes bad angle shot. He can't even be unpredictable anymore. I still love Marty but I pray he hangs the up. Not for me or anyone else, but for him. This is no way for him to go out.

I kinda hope he doesn't. It'll be a perfect example of what not to do at the end of your career and a true testament to how he let his personal ego/glory/stats get ahead of the team. Definitely in the minority here but the writing on the wall started showing with the whole "MB30" helmet crap years ago.

#74 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

And the circus continues...

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#75 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

Part of the problem is Marty's save % has always been a little low, because of the Devils shot counting, and because of the defenses he played in front of. He used to make huge saves. Just watch video of him in his prime. Now he doesn't, but since we're used to (rightfully) defending him, even when his % hasn't been special, it's weird getting used to the % telling us exactly what kind of goalie he is. Unless you watch him a lot, and especially watch video of him when he was younger, and watch Schnieds get to pucks he doesn't get to anymore, you don't realize how bad he is now.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#76 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

Rangers fans must be loving this......

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#77 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

disgusting that its come to this. i was the biggest brodeur fan before this season. terrible

#78 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

They didn't mention wanting to play for the Devils. Marty didn't mention wanting to play for the Devils. His two kids didn't mention wanting to play for the Devils.

..fans have come to terms with the fact that he's gone come July 1st.. but please, stop acting like the merry widow anytime\everytime someone sticks a microphone in your face. There's 9 games left in this circus of a season after tonight. Please, for the sake of everyone.. SHUT THE FVCK UP, and go through the motions!

..yet, that didn't stop them from showing Schneider the bench early on in the season.. when he was losing games, but playing well. The fact is, Cory's on a winning streak and Marty's lost 3 in-a-row.

Sorry but everything in that article is an "if" or "maybe".  He was happy to not have been traded and said so.  He won't think about anything until mid summer.  That is all I got out of it.  Never said he didn't want to play for the Devils.  That is how I read the article.  It was no big deal of an article imo.

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#79 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

Sorry but everything in that article is an "if" or "maybe".  He was happy to not have been traded and said so.  He won't think about anything until mid summer.  That is all I got out of it.  Never said he didn't want to play for the Devils.  That is how I read the article.  It was no big deal of an article imo.

Does he have to start throwing out team names, even if it's through his kids?  Or talk about next season?  Fans don't want to hear this stuff right now.  I usually don't get as upset with Marty and his quotes as many people do, but like I said, he can talk about his future all he wants in a few weeks.  Talking about next season and other teams is going to rub just about everyone the wrong way at a time like this.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#80 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

bold: and why shouldn't they? Why do you look down on this? Some fans have unabashed hate for Marty bordering on ridiculous. 

It's a little too far when fans (there are many of them) that would rather have Brodeur starting, now and next year, over Cory.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users