248 replies to this topic

#141 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

I dunno if Anthony said anything to the media, i doubt it, but Marty claims that Anthony wanted him to play in Ottawa so he could stay at his dad's house, so that's probably what they are talking about.  You might've forgotten that because it's hard to keep track of the 'Where I'd play other than New Jersey' articles that have been penned by the media w/ direct quotes from Brodeur in the last 2 weeks.

Edited by Triumph, 30 March 2014 - 06:07 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#142 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

Marty just doesn't know when to shut the fvck up does he?

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#143 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

A bit, like  a comedy bit? ... What were Anthony's comments?

Ha...just an intermission segment. Brodeur told the media that his twins want him to go to the Wild and Anthony wants him to come to Ottawa.

Fans in Ottawa were just laughing about that thought with him wanting to be a starter and not being good and all.

BTW...

From training camp:

“I’m just going to play this year,” Brodeur said after taking his training camp physical this morning at Prudential Center. “I’m not going to comment on ‘Yes, I will’ or ‘Yes, I won’t’ (retire). So, you can tell your friends around the league they don’t have to ask that question. I’m not going to tell anybody if I’m going to retire or not until I make a decision of coming back or not.” - See more at: http://blogs.northje...h.fUgxylOY.dpuf

Edited by devilsrule33, 30 March 2014 - 06:26 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#144 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Marty's still yapping.

But seriously, Randy Miller and, to a lesser extent, Chere are really milking this for all it's worth.  They obviously have nothing better to write about at this point.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#145 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

If Marty doesn't want to sit, then he should join 3 beer league teams

#146 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

Marty's still yapping.

But seriously, Randy Miller and, to a lesser extent, Chere are really milking this for all it's worth.  They obviously have nothing better to write about at this point.

Yes, and your point is?  Brodeur gives them fresh quotes on it every day.  If he didn't, Chere would just be rehashing the same nonsense - he's not, because Brodeur gives them 3 new things.

The irony is that I'd be way more upset if Brodeur were still good and talking like this.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#147 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, it's getting hard to keep track of this "Marty said" stuff, LOL. But seriously, I'd like to see that Ottawa Senators clip.

#148 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

Yeah, it's getting hard to keep track of this "Marty said" stuff, LOL. But seriously, I'd like to see that Ottawa Senators clip.

Nothing major about the discussion, but rather the Sens fans' reactions to the idea.

Adnan troll/rodent @sens_adnan 4h

Does Martin Brodeur want his youngest son to think his dad is an AHL player?

Travis Yost @TravisHeHateMe 4h

Sportsnet has 10,000 better things to touch on this intermission. "Where will this terrible goalie end up?!" not on that list.

Travis Yost @TravisHeHateMe 3h

Congrats Marty, you want to be a starter and won't accept anything less. Only problem is you are a sieve, so no one cares.

Bonk's Mullet @BonksMullet 3h

Poor Martin Brodeur. Never go full Brett Favre.

Ouch.

Edited by devilsrule33, 30 March 2014 - 08:54 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#149 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Nothing major about the discussion, but rather the Sens fans' reactions to the idea.

Adnan troll/rodent ‏@sens_adnan 4h
Does Martin Brodeur want his youngest son to think his dad is an AHL player?

Travis Yost ‏@TravisHeHateMe 4h
Sportsnet has 10,000 better things to touch on this intermission. "Where will this terrible goalie end up?!" not on that list.

Travis Yost ‏@TravisHeHateMe 3h
Congrats Marty, you want to be a starter and won't accept anything less. Only problem is you are a sieve, so no one cares.

Bonk's Mullet ‏@BonksMullet 3h
Poor Martin Brodeur. Never go full Brett Favre.

Ouch.

Its sad. Everyone in the world can see it except him...

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#150 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Too late on that last tweet :P

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#151 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Too late on that last tweet :P

With Avery bringing up his transgressions again, it's pretty much full Favre.

#152 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

Seriously all that's missing is Pittsburgh to somehow import him as the starter and him to beat the Devils like a drum the way Favre did the Packers his first year as a Viking :P

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#153 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,267 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

Can anyone else see Brodeur on the Islanders next year? He fits in nicely with the goalies they've had this year.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#154 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

Can anyone else see Brodeur on the Islanders next year? He fits in nicely with the goalies they've had this year.

Well that could satisfy Brodeur requirement

a) playing more games than he has this season

but does not satisfy requirement

b) playing on a very good team

So Islanders are out for now...

#155 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:09 AM

Even casual baseball fans know that batting average defines how good a player is (I mean it doesn't, but let's assume that it does).  They have no idea that save percentage defines how good a goalie is.  That's what it comes down to - simple ignorance of the basic stats.  

If Jeter were hitting .220 in June, a lot of Yankee fans would say, oh, he'll turn it around, he's Derek Jeter.  But Brodeur with a .903 SV% which is basically the equivalent - fans don't realize that there's anything wrong.  Part of this is because baseball is a game of failure whereas hockey goalie is a game of successes - any fan can point to 'great saves' a goalie makes.  This is how Mike Vernon won a Conn Smythe trophy and how Grant Fuhr went to the Hall of Fame.

(As a sidenote, as a Yankees fan and Devils fan, it's great the number of championships I've witnessed, but watching Jeter and Brodeur go through parallel declines has been really tough to take.  At least one will be gone at the end of this calendar year.)

I have a decent amount of friends that watch almost every game and still think Brodeur deserves to be the #1 and that he isn't finished. Like NJDevs4978 said, for a lot of people, their love and respect for Brodeur clouds their judgement.

This all speaks to how damn hard it is to 'scout goalies' just by eye. The difference between an elite goalie and an average one is you get around 1.5 saves more from the elite than the average, per 100 shots...or in Brodeur's case, 3 saves per 100 shots. That's really hard to see and keep in mind.

He's certainly 'protected' since NJ give up so few SA. Imagine how bad it'd be if he saw 33 pucks a night...then I wager we'd be hearing a different tune.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#156 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:13 AM

I think the orgnaistation needs to stage some sort of intervention. He has become delusional.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#157 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:22 AM

This all speaks to how damn hard it is to 'scout goalies' just by eye. The difference between an elite goalie and an average one is you get around 1.5 saves more from the elite than the average, per 100 shots...or in Brodeur's case, 3 saves per 100 shots. That's really hard to see and keep in mind.

He's certainly 'protected' since NJ give up so few SA. Imagine how bad it'd be if he saw 33 pucks a night...then I wager we'd be hearing a different tune.

It adds up quick though:  Schneider faces about 24.7 shots per 60 minutes, and Brodeur faces about 25.6 per 60.  So about 100 shots per four games.

So basically, it averages to about 3 extra GA per 240 minutes (four games and roughly 100 shots) when Marty's on the ice...when a team like the Devils struggles to score consistently, those extra 3 GA hurt.  Of course it's not like it's ever this steady (not like a guy who scores 41 G in 82 GP scores every other game throughout the year), but it still gives you an idea that Marty being a lesser puck-stopper than Cory is definitely noticable.  Also sucks that Marty's .914 in his last 7 GP (about league average) now qualifies as some turning-back-the-clock hot-streak in some fans' eyes, and is somehow definitive proof that Marty's still got it.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#158 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

It adds up quick though:  Schneider faces about 24.7 shots per 60 minutes, and Brodeur faces about 25.6 per 60.  So about 100 shots per four games.

So basically, it averages to about 3 extra GA per 240 minutes (four games and roughly 100 shots) when Marty's on the ice...when a team like the Devils struggles to score consistently, those extra 3 GA hurt.  Of course it's not like it's ever this steady (not like a guy who scores 41 G in 82 GP scores every other game throughout the year), but it still gives you an idea that Marty being a lesser puck-stopper than Cory is definitely noticable.  Also sucks that Marty's .914 in his last 7 GP (about league average) now qualifies as some turning-back-the-clock hot-streak in some fans' eyes, and is somehow definitive proof that Marty's still got it.

I agree...but this is exactly my point: when you go through the numbers, it's easy. Most fans don't do that and if they do, they check the W-column. Just by watching NHL-goalies play it's hard to pinpoint who's actually better, because the different is quite small even over time. With skaters it's easier to tell, but goalies are trickier.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#159 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,898 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

i can't believe all this stuff happened and that Lou would be okay with that

www.SterioDesign.com

#160 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

i can't believe all this stuff happened and that Lou would be okay with that

If this team misses the playoffs again (and we know there's a VERY good chance that it will), I think you're going to see some changes.  I think even with the 2012 run, I don't think Lou is comfortable missing the playoffs three out of four seasons.

I've posted this already, but the good news is if Lou really wants to make changes, he can.  Exactly three players are signed beyond 2015-16:  Zajac, Henrique, and Clowe.  No truly disastrous, hard-to-move contracts on the books.  Of course, whether you trust Lou to make the right moves is a different debate, but this is not a team with several underperforming players tied up in high-priced, long-term deals. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users