63 replies to this topic

#41 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Re: DeBoer getting canned- I could totally see a Rangers/ Vancouver-like swap with Pete going to Toronto and Carlyle coming here. Not based on anything but my own speculation, but I could see that happening if both coaches get fired from their current jobs.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#42 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

Carlyle wouldn't be horrible (certainly had early success) but much like Deboer he's starting to look like a coach whose teams collapse.

I hope Nashville fires Trotz. That's the guy I'd want

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#43 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

Carlyle wouldn't be horrible (certainly had early success) but much like Deboer he's starting to look like a coach whose teams collapse.

I hope Nashville fires Trotz. That's the guy I'd want

Trotz would be amazing. Would instantly be at the top of my list.

#44 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Not sure why anyone here would want Carlyle with what he has done with Toronto for the last 3 years. They are a fvcking mess. I have heard a lot of rumblings about Carlyle to Winnipeg.

Trotz over Deboer? I don't see much difference. One coach's team slipped when Parise left and the other's team slipped when Suter left. Predators have really struggled over the last two seasons. Not saying it's on Trotz. It's just the same way I don't look at the Devils record and have a problem with what Deboer has done.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#45 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

DeBoer should get one more year. It's an above .500 team whose best forward is 42, could not win a shoot out (which is not a coaching issue), and, for whatever reason, did not give one of the game's best goalies 70 percent of the starts. While you can certainly blame him for the last issue, it's looking more and more likely that it won't be an issue next year when Marty is no longer on the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#46 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

Carlyle wouldn't be horrible 

Right, he'd be atrocious. The only reason he has a rep as a defensive coach is he won a Norris and lucked into two HoFers on D in Anaheim. If you wanna change the image of the team from "good defensively" to "terrible defensively", it's a good step.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#47 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

Carlye??? is that a joke.    

Agree 100% with "7" I would LOVE Trotz.  Probably the most underrated coach in the NHL.   Even less talent that us, yet he makes them compete. 

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#48 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

Deboer earned another year.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#49 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

I agree Zubie- after these last two games, he certainly has.

#50 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

I think he has earned another year regardless, but I do think it's funny how much two games influence your opinions.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#51 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

I think he has earned another year regardless, but I do think it's funny how much two games influence your opinions.

It doesn't excuse the sh!tshows against the Isles and Buffalo, but the team really showed a lot of heart with a gutted lineup the last two games and never packed it in when they had every reason to do just that. The players deserve a lot of credit for that, but so does the coach. I've been critical of Pete this year and I've admittedly wavered at times about whether I want him back next year, (mostly after reading a TG tweet about another lineup decision that pissed me off), but I've always thought in the back of my mind that he deserves another chance with a stronger roster. All in all- some of the maddening lineup decisions aside- he's done a decent job to have the team in the thick of the race after losing his two best players not named Elias in consecutive summers. And hopefully Marty and some of the other vets (read: Sal) will be gone next year. Plus- there's no real clear upgrade available (right now) to replace him with. So all in all, it adds up to the Devils cutting off their nose to spite their face if they fire Pete.

#52 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

It doesn't excuse the sh!tshows against the Isles and Buffalo, but the team really showed a lot of heart with a gutted lineup the last two games and never packed it in when they had every reason to do just that. The players deserve a lot of credit for that, but so does the coach. I've been critical of Pete this year and I've admittedly wavered at times about whether I want him back next year, (mostly after reading a TG tweet about another lineup decision that pissed me off), but I've always thought in the back of my mind that he deserves another chance with a stronger roster. All in all- some of the maddening lineup decisions aside- he's done a decent job to have the team in the thick of the race after losing his two best players not named Elias in consecutive summers. And hopefully Marty and some of the other vets (read: Sal) will be gone next year. Plus- there's no real clear upgrade available (right now) to replace him with. So all in all, it adds up to the Devils cutting off their nose to spite their face if they fire Pete.

Also, last year really shouldn't count. I mean, yes, they missed the playoffs, but a lot of weird sh!t happened in 48 games. They replaced Parise and Sykora with Bobby Butler. Kovalchuk missed a quarter of the season, and the Devils had some of the worst goaltending you could ever have. Johan Hedberg and his .883 save percentage started 19 friggen games. He was so bad that you yearned for Brodeur and his .901 save percentage to come back.

They played damn well last year. As I have said most of the year, Deboer has coached the hell out of what he has. Up to Lou to give him some better players.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#53 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

Also, last year really shouldn't count. I mean, yes, they missed the playoffs, but a lot of weird sh!t happened in 48 games. They replaced Parise and Sykora with Bobby Butler. Kovalchuk missed a quarter of the season, and the Devils had some of the worst goaltending you could ever have. Johan Hedberg and his .883 save percentage started 19 friggen games. He was so bad that you yearned for Brodeur and his .901 save percentage to come back.

They played damn well last year. As I have said most of the year, Deboer has coached the hell out of what he has. Up to Lou to give him some better players.

Agreed 100% DR. I really don't take last year into account much either. Matt D'Agostini? Bobby Butler? Steve Sullivan? Tom Kostopolous? The ghost of Poni? Moose starting half the games? That's a sh!tbag team. Scotty Bowman wouldn't win with that roster.

#54 ringtwins

ringtwins

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

two games dont have me deciding one way or the other. to me, simply put, he has pushed alot of the wrong buttons this year, putting us into this predicament.
You do know that Devil fans are so used to being in the playoffs that people save their money for the later rounds, right? Triumph

#55 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

Agreed 100% DR. I really don't take last year into account much either. Matt D'Agostini? Bobby Butler? Steve Sullivan? Tom Kostopolous? The ghost of Poni? Moose starting half the games? That's a sh!tbag team. Scotty Bowman wouldn't win with that roster.

Ha! Jokes on you. Bobby Butler just recorded point number one on the season with a sweet secondary assist on a Brandon Pirri goal. Eat your heart out Lou Lamoriello, you had a keeper.  :glare:

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#56 CHIP72

CHIP72

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

IMO, the much bigger problem with the Devils is the lack of top-level talent, not the coaching behind the bench.  Looking at the big picture, IMO Deboer has done a pretty good job with what he has to work with.

#57 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

Team wasn't that good, but a better managed team probably would have yielded five more wins. Doesn't sound like much, but that would be the difference between playoffs and golf with the position we're in right now.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#58 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

IMO, the much bigger problem with the Devils is the lack of top-level talent, not the coaching behind the bench.  Looking at the big picture, IMO Deboer has done a pretty good job with what he has to work with.

i agree with most of this here.. although i feel like deboer has been a little off with some of the line up decisions but what do we really know we arent behind the scenes with these guys, but definently cant just go off of the performance that the team has been putting out theres just no talent this year besides a select few players which is simply and clearly just not enough for a successful on ice performance.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#59 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Carlyle, are you guys out of your mind???

I don't think Bowman would win with this year's roster.

#60 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

I feel like this message could've been written about the Devils/Rockies 30 years ago. Something like: Lock up Chico, develop Cirella and Daneyko, acquire some scorers. Then we're set, right? If this is where we are at then we have taken quite a few steps back peeps.

More like 20 years ago -- develop Nieds, lock up Marty, pick up some scorers. That team had Johnny Mac, so we're behind on that, but otherwise, not much worse. Obviously, we don't have a guy as good as Nieds, but we have 3 good, young, NHL ready defensemen, so if we don't keep riding washed up guys, we're gonna be in decent shape.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users