138 replies to this topic

#21 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'm not being blindly optimistic.  I'm being realistic.

It's not realistic to expect 82 points to be enough points to make it in.  Every team that has fewer than 90 points has to win more games before saying they're a playoff team.  With that comes a possibility of any of those teams falling off the cliff just like Toronto.

The Rags, Flyers, Blue Jackets, Leafs, Wings, Caps have more winning to do before they can call themselves playoff teams.  Any one of those teams can slump which would give an opening for any team outside looking in.

And if you think I'm being optimistic in any way, you've got me all wrong.  I'm not saying we're gonna make the playoffs.  I'm just saying there's a chance.

And all those teams you mentioned don't have to beat the odds and put together a winning streak that is completely the opposite of what has been the status quo all season.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#22 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

This team who has lost to the islanders, who is 0-10 in shootouts and who hasnt won more than 2 in a row this season "only" has to go 7-1 to clinch. Okay, kid.

We didn't lose to the Islanders.  We lost in a shootout which is completely different.  Wanna know who did lose to the Isles?  The Blue Jackets.  Bottom line is nobody ever sees a hot streak coming.  So simply predicting it's not gonna happen is just taking the easy way out.

And all those teams you mentioned don't have to beat the odds and put together a winning streak that is completely the opposite of what has been the status quo all season.

The Leafs have to beat the odds.  They have a 6% chance at getting in, and they have 80 points.  To put this into perspective, the Devils have a better chance at making it than the Leafs with fewer points.

Edited by Mike Brown, 30 March 2014 - 11:46 AM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#23 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Not this sh!t again.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#24 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,941 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

We didn't lose to the Islanders. We lost in a shootout which is completely different. Wanna know who did lose to the Isles? The Blue Jackets. Bottom line is nobody ever sees a hot streak coming. So simply predicting it's not gonna happen is just taking the easy way out.

The Leafs have to beat the odds. They have a 6% chance at getting in, and they have 80 points. To put this into perspective, the Devils have a better chance at making it than the Leafs with fewer points.

Doesn't matter when Columbus and Detroit are both 5 points ahead of us. Its over.

#25 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Doesn't matter when Columbus and Detroit are both 5 points ahead of us. Its over.

It absolutely matters when they still need to win more games in order to make the playoffs.  What happens if they follow in the Leafs' footsteps?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#26 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,972 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

Hahahahahaha MB, telling us how its 'doable'. Tell ya what, here's a bet- if the Devils don't make the playoffs, you have to stop posting. Since you're so confident they will, I figure you'll take this bet no prob.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#27 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

It absolutely matters when they still need to win more games in order to make the playoffs.  What happens if they follow in the Leafs' footsteps?

So now you are banking on 3 teams going on historical losing streaks and the Devils suddenly going on their hottest streak of the year. And while doing this, you are claiming to be "realistic". 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#28 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

So now you are banking on 3 teams going on historical losing streaks and the Devils suddenly going on their hottest streak of the year. And while doing this, you are claiming to be "realistic". 

Nope, just saying it's possible.  Also it wouldn't take a monumental collapse by some of these teams.  For two of these teams, if they fall into like a 3-4-1 stretch, they're screwed.

89 points or fewer, you're on the outside looking in most likely.  90 points gives you a better than 50% chance at making it.

Detroit: 3-4-1 or worse to miss; 3-3-2 or better to make it

Toronto: 4-1-1 or worse to miss; 4-0-2 or better to make it

NY Rangers: 1-5-1 or worse to miss; 1-4-2 or better to make it

Philadelphia: 2-7-0 or worse to miss; 2-6-1 or better to make it

Columbus: 3-4-1 or worse to miss; 3-3-2 or better to make it

Washington: 4-3-1 or worse to miss; 4-2-2 or better to make it

New Jersey: 6-2-0 or worse to miss; 6-1-1 or better to make it

Hahahahahaha MB, telling us how its 'doable'. Tell ya what, here's a bet- if the Devils don't make the playoffs, you have to stop posting. Since you're so confident they will, I figure you'll take this bet no prob.

I'm not saying they will make the playoffs.  Not once did I say it.

Edited by Mike Brown, 30 March 2014 - 12:00 PM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#29 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

I've never seen someone fight so vehemently to prove something they don't believe in.

believe-devs.jpg

#30 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

I've never seen someone fight so vehemently to prove something they don't believe in.

Quote of the season. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#31 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

That's why people get on MB for playing devils' advocate making both sides of an argument, being a attention/post hog and stuff like that.  Either it's doable or it's not.  Don't constantly argue with everyone how it is doable if you yourself know better that it ain't happening.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 30 March 2014 - 12:07 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#32 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,941 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

If I play the lotto, sure there is a chance I could win it. Am I though? Nope.

Same thing here. The Devils making the playoffs now would be like winning the lottery. This team has done nothing to show they are capable of doing anything of the sort.

Seasons over.

#33 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

I'm not saying we will make the playoffs, nor am I saying we won't make the playoffs.

Quote of the season. 

Nope.  I'm not saying either way what's gonna happen.

That's why people get on MB for playing devils' advocate making both sides of an argument, being a attention/post hog and stuff like that.  Either it's doable or it's not.  Don't constantly argue with everyone how it is doable if you yourself know better that it ain't happening.

I actually don't know if it's gonna happen hence why I'm debating this.

If I play the lotto, sure there is a chance I could win it. Am I though? Nope.

Same thing here. The Devils making the playoffs now would be like winning the lottery. This team has done nothing to show they are capable of doing anything of the sort.

Seasons over.

Except the Devils have far greater odds at making the playoffs than you do at winning the lottery.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#34 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

I'm not saying we will make the playoffs, nor am I saying we won't make the playoffs.

Nope.  I'm not saying either way what's gonna happen.

I actually don't know if it's gonna happen hence why I'm debating this.

Except the Devils have far greater odds at making the playoffs than you do at winning the lottery.

You've been saying the same things since they had chances in the 60% range. They have plummeted to 17% and you're still arguing for the sake of arguing. 

#35 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

You heard it here first everyone. For the first time in the history of the NHL, the Devils will end the season in some sort of limbo. We're going to the NIT guys!

Edited by PWW, 30 March 2014 - 12:30 PM.

believe-devs.jpg

#36 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

You've been saying the same things since they had chances in the 60% range. They have plummeted to 17% and you're still arguing for the sake of arguing. 

Except I'm actually not arguing for the sake of arguing.  When you have a forum where everybody agrees on a subject, it becomes stale.  I'm trying to add to the forum by bringing in another perspective.

You heard it here first everyone. For the first time in the history of the NHL, the Devils will end the season in some sort of limbo. We're going to the NIT guys!

:doh1: I never gave my opinion of whether or not we're gonna be in the playoffs.

Edited by Mike Brown, 30 March 2014 - 12:38 PM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#37 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

Limbo?!? Yay!

Except I'm actually not arguing for the sake of arguing.

:doh1: I never gave my opinion of whether or not we're gonna be in the playoffs.

Good. Because I don't disagree with you, but I disagree with you. 

#38 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,833 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

What, exactly are you saying then?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#39 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

It's like MB was secretly waiting for this thread and then EXPLODE! It's either that or well...he was starting to cut the 'doable' bullsh!t but he just WASN'T gonna be outdone by Renato Rodrigues in level of fandom and so here he is, showing us that he's the true number one fan.

You've been saying the same things since they had chances in the 60% range. They have plummeted to 17% and you're still arguing for the sake of posting

Fixed.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#40 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

uh ok so apparently mike brown is not the only person who does drugs here.... give it up my god.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users