83 replies to this topic

#21 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Yes, OP, I certainly agree with your assertion.  It just seems like we've been forever stuck in pergatory.  Every time NJ has had a chance to get in a playoff spot or solidify positioning, they've blown it (7-4 Detroit game anyone?).  The 0-10 shootout record is of course maddening.  Coaching staff rolling with Brodeur half the time, the team not being able score for Schneider, Brodeur's quotes, personnel choices, etc.  With what looks like a forfeited top ten pick, this season can't end soon enough. I just hope Lou and Conte pull a rabbit out of their asses with a Josh Ho-Sang type at the draft.

I think this team could be similar next year and make it due to them playing Schneider 75% of the games and some more shootout luck.  A top 5 pick is certainly not out of the realm of possibility and it honestly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world with the possibility to draft McDavid, Eichel, Barzal or Hanafin.  NJ is such a crapshoot lol

#22 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

I really feel like the 2nd half of that season has everyone forgetting how bad the 1st half was.  Kovalchuk had 4 goals in the first 2 months of the season.  Parise was out for the year.  Langenbrunner was still here being Langenbrunner.  For some reason Olivier Magnan Grenier played like 20 games.  (When people complain about Larsson being in the minors, one should remind them of a time when both Magnan and Corrente played for NJ).  Brodeur looked like garbage and there was a vocal group failing to acknowledge it (okay, that does remind me of this season).

There's no comparison between this and that.   They were mindbogglingly bad.   This team tries, they just suck.   I remember trying to convince myself they had a chance at the end of November where they won that shootout game against the Flyers where the mighty Adam Mair scored.   Then December came.

#23 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

For me, this is the most disappointing season simply because this team is absolutely no fun to watch. Coaching without emotion or intelligence, mediocre goal tending, anemic scoring (and when we do it's nothing special to look at), defense without a bite and no superstars on the roster. 

What is there to look forward to in a game? At one point it was fun to watch Jagr, but alas, he has worn out as anticipated.

I don't remember a NJ team that had nothing fun to watch and even when they win it's like, whatever. You know that win really didn't signify that they got anything useful going for the future.

Oh, and do we even have any young players that are going to be stars? maybe...

I can't buy any of this MSweet for a few reasons:

There have been so many boring Devils teams to watch. CR1976 named a few of them. There just haven't been many times in the team's history since Lou came where they've missed the playoffs. So you add that with them not having a real dynamic player, and sure it sucks.

Jagr has not worn out. There have been a lot of games he has scored a sh!t goal, and we marvel, but he's had a plethora of chances over the last few games.

As for emotionless coaching...I hate that. Deboer gets angry, but as I have said a few times here, what good comes from a freak out  in front of the media where you are calling out players by name. That's a real good way of getting a team to quit on you. He might be giving it to them in the locker room, but he is smart enough to turn it off in front of the media. There's been very few no show games by the team this year. Maybe that's when you go crazy, but he's smart enough to know that results doesn't mean a lack of effort. You can't scream about lack of finish.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#24 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

To me, there's a difference between frustrating and disappointing.

In '96, coming off the Cup win, I was very disappointed that the Devs didn't make the playoffs.

This season, even though I suspected the team wasn't going to be very good from the start, they did manage to stay close enough all season to tease fans into thinking the playoffs were (still are) a possibility.

With MacLean's team, I started out frustrated, became disappointed ... and ended up numb.

#25 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,383 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

At least in the early '90's there was the feeling that something serious was building. The feeling in the late '80's was similar, but plateaued for a bit, too those early '90's.

Now?  With the exception of those young D, there is nothing exciting to look forward to.

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#26 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,189 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

There's no comparison between this and that.   They were mindbogglingly bad.   This team tries, they just suck.   I remember trying to convince myself they had a chance at the end of November where they won that shootout game against the Flyers where the mighty Adam Mair scored.   Then December came.

When you include all the off-ice bs from Kovalchuk leaving in the offseason to the dumbass contreversies over the goal song/fan brokers and Marty whining every five minutes, this season's been one never ending bad drama.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#27 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,975 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

I hate this season and the past year. This team is miserable to watch. Add that to the fact of the nonsense with the goal change and the devils calling season ticket holders scalpers and the bs never seems to have stopped this year.

I'm ready for this season to end and I can then go be agggravated at the Red Bulls awful start to their season.

#28 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

The highlight of the season:

1531531_10201897171765742_1716281477_n.j

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#29 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

The highlight of the season:

Posted Image

Lmfao yes!! Without a doubt the highlight of this season lol.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#30 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

Still 1-0-0 in games where Shaq rides the zamboni.

believe-devs.jpg

#31 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:41 PM

When you include all the off-ice bs from Kovalchuk leaving in the offseason to the dumbass contreversies over the goal song/fan brokers and Marty whining every five minutes, this season's been one never ending bad drama.

add in 0-100000 in shootouts. Winter Classic humiliation (thanks Marty).

Honestly this feels like rock bottom. Though I suppose it says something about the franchise when rock bottom is still over .500 and in the playoff race (albeit barely)

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#32 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

highlight is jagr

worst season, so far 

best player to ever wear devils jersey 

Posted Image

#33 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

best player to ever wear devils jersey

Welllll.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#34 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

What does a high Corsi and 25 shots mean if you're not scoring and not winning? Jagr has 1 point in his last 5 games. He can take all the shots he wants, that does not win us games. Nor has it. You can't argue he is keeping us afloat when we are not producing. He may be worn out or he may just be temporarily cooling down, either ways the decrease in production has been felt.

It means that you're doing good things, the things that leads to scoring which then leads to winning. Hockey is a process, not a miracle.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#35 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

I really feel like the 2nd half of that season has everyone forgetting how bad the 1st half was. Kovalchuk had 4 goals in the first 2 months of the season. Parise was out for the year. Langenbrunner was still here being Langenbrunner. For some reason Olivier Magnan Grenier played like 20 games. (When people complain about Larsson being in the minors, one should remind them of a time when both Magnan and Corrente played for NJ). Brodeur looked like garbage and there was a vocal group failing to acknowledge it (okay, that does remind me of this season).

I agree with you. That first half with Mac was waaaaaayyyyyyyy worse, not even close as far as I am concerned.

#36 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:00 AM

I agree with you. That first half with Mac was waaaaaayyyyyyyy worse, not even close as far as I am concerned.

I remember the off-season prior. "Elias, Parise, Kovalchuk, Devils certainly won't have any trouble filling up the net!" boomed out on TSN and then we all know what happened. Expectations were high and then crushed.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#37 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:08 AM

Welllll.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The only debate you can possibly have is Brodeur.  But it's close.  Jagr is easily the greatest skater to ever wear a Devils jersey imo.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#38 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:31 AM

The '95-'96 and the '07-'08 teams were tough watches.  I still don't know how Sutter squeezed 99 points of the '08 team. 

Forgot to mention the 2001-02 team.  They went from 295 GF and being one of the most entertaining teams in the NHL to 205 GF and often maddening to watch...they also managed to get the coach who had led them to consecutive SC Finals canned.  They won 14 out of their final 18 GP that season under Kevin Constantine, but even then they seemed to question his style at every turn (Brodeur sure did in his book)...I don't know what that team's problem was, but they seemed to act as though they were above having to listen to anyone.  I went to the playoff game where Carolina eliminated them (a 1-0 loss for the Devils), and five minutes into the game I told my then-future wife "They're getting shut out tonight.  They have nothing."  She told me to be optimistic, but they had no life whatsoever...it would've been one thing if the Devils had been playing hard but was extremely unlucky, or Carolina was playing incredibly well, but it just felt like they weren't into it at all, and couldn't wait to get off the ice.  They were pretty heartily booed during the last minute of play and after the game.    

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#39 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

Forgot to mention the 2001-02 team.  They went from 295 GF and being one of the most entertaining teams in the NHL to 205 GF and often maddening to watch...they also managed to get the coach who had led them to consecutive SC Finals canned.  They won 14 out of their final 18 GP that season under Kevin Constantine, but even then they seemed to question his style at every turn (Brodeur sure did in his book)...I don't know what that team's problem was, but they seemed to act as though they were above having to listen to anyone.  I went to the playoff game where Carolina eliminated them (a 1-0 loss for the Devils), and five minutes into the game I told my then-future wife "They're getting shut out tonight.  They have nothing."  She told me to be optimistic, but they had no life whatsoever...it would've been one thing if the Devils had been playing hard but was extremely unlucky, or Carolina was playing incredibly well, but it just felt like they weren't into it at all, and couldn't wait to get off the ice.  They were pretty heartily booed during the last minute of play and after the game.    

And then pretty much the same team (minus Holik, Sykora, plus Friesen, Gionta) won the Cup the next year. Life has been good for us.

logokx.jpg

#40 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

And then pretty much the same team (minus Holik, Sykora, plus Friesen, Gionta) won the Cup the next year. Life has been good for us.

Lou rightly recognized that team needed some changes.  His trading Arnott pretty much showed that he didn't think that, if the Devils had been left intact, they'd do much in the 2001-02 playoffs.  Of course, losing Mogilny hurt...not sure what Lou offered him, but I coul definitely understand why he might have been cautious...Mogilny's 2001 season was a contract year, he had only played in 160 regular season games total in the previous three seasons, and had never been much of a playoff performer (9 goals and 14 assists in 48 playoff games as a Devil).   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users