83 replies to this topic

#1 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Maybe 96 but I was a little young and didn't really follow the team day to day at that point, and anything before 94 again too young. 09-10 at least had the team look like they got it together at the end after the awful start.

This season we lost our best offensive player to start, went on an awful winless streak to start, can't play for the one goalie, Brodeur wanting a trade, no pick until we got it back, offense has been inconsistent at times, shootout troubles but the worst part is they are still in the playoff race but they play like they don't want to take it.

Am I wrong in this

#2 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

They want to make it but simply can't. They're just skilled enough to be not awful and not great.

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#3 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

They want to make it but simply can't. They're just skilled enough to be not awful and not great.

this exactly.. which is worse then just totally sucking because its keeping everyones hopes up even though most of us know better
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#4 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

Yep, this one has sucked. More than the first half of the J-Mac train wreck.

It's easy to check out on bad teams. No hopes, no expectations. This team has teased us all year with this wishy washy will they won't they bullsh!t. They're going to end up not putting it together in time and we'll have wasted hours arguing about nothing.

Oh, and Larsson's season is particularly disappointing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#5 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

I'm sorry but the 1st half of the J-Mac train wreck was way way way worse than this.  That wasn't a bad team and everyone knew it, they were just playing bad for reasons beyond anyone's imagination.  This is disappointing but it's not like the team has really looked like a team going somewhere in the playoffs in the last 20 games - not like, say, last year - it just has floated around.  The issue with this year's team is A: no 1st round pick until 30th and B: lot of floatsam on the roster (Zubrus, Ryder, Brodeur, etc.) that we don't know if it's coming off next year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#6 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Which believe it or not is all it takes to make the playoffs.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#7 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

WHAT DOES THIS ADD TO THE CONVERSATION?! Omg. Please. For the love of God. STOP.

gtfo.gif

believe-devs.jpg

#8 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

The thing about this season is that this team didn't live up to its potential because it wasn't managed properly.  The pieces are there for a good team.  But I don't think Deboer utilized them properly.  That's what really makes this team frustrating.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#9 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,564 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

room temp, compared to '82-'87, the transition seasons of '87-'88 to '92-'93 were never really frustrating.  '88-'89 was to an extent, in that after the from-out-of-nowhere run the team took a big step back, but in general, Devils fans were just happy to have a team that was competitive.  The real disappointment of that era was Sean Burke...after his '88 hot streak, he never approached that level of play as a Devil ever again.  The Devils kept giving him chances to regain that form (at Chris Terreri's expense...to his credit, even though Terreri was outplaying Burke, Terreri never bitched about it).  Burke was so highly thought of early on that Calgary was supposedly offering Doug Gilmour straight-up for him at one point.  Even after a full year of not playing due to a contract dispute (Devils held his rights but wouldn't re-sign him), Burke (with Eric Weinrich) was still worth enough to fetch Bobby Holik and a 2nd-rounder (who became Jay Pandolfo IIRC).

Tri, I actually find this season slightly more frustrating than '10-'11.  I think that season's lousy first half was so incredibly brutal that it almost numbed me emotionally...my expectations fell so much that the second half became oddly fun.  This season, the team's been just good enough to somehow stay (barely) relevant, but also just bad enough not to make serious headway.  That 5-2-0 burst to start their post-Olympic break schedule gave us all reason to hope. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 30 March 2014 - 02:47 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#10 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

I really feel like the 2nd half of that season has everyone forgetting how bad the 1st half was.  Kovalchuk had 4 goals in the first 2 months of the season.  Parise was out for the year.  Langenbrunner was still here being Langenbrunner.  For some reason Olivier Magnan Grenier played like 20 games.  (When people complain about Larsson being in the minors, one should remind them of a time when both Magnan and Corrente played for NJ).  Brodeur looked like garbage and there was a vocal group failing to acknowledge it (okay, that does remind me of this season).

Edited by Triumph, 30 March 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#11 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,564 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

I remember it all too well.  Lots and lots of lowlights.  Kovy flubbing a shootout attempt and getting heartily booed.  That first half was every bit the disaster the 10-29-2 record suggested it was.  I haven't forgotten that at all.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#12 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

Does anybody know if we're the only team to ever have the worst record through 41 games to then follow up with the best records through the 2nd half of 41 games?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#13 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

For me, this is the most disappointing season simply because this team is absolutely no fun to watch. Coaching without emotion or intelligence, mediocre goal tending, anemic scoring (and when we do it's nothing special to look at), defense without a bite and no superstars on the roster. 

What is there to look forward to in a game? At one point it was fun to watch Jagr, but alas, he has worn out as anticipated.

I don't remember a NJ team that had nothing fun to watch and even when they win it's like, whatever. You know that win really didn't signify that they got anything useful going for the future.

Oh, and do we even have any young players that are going to be stars? maybe...

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#14 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

This season has been by fat the biggest grind I've ever experienced as fan, can only imagine how it feels to be on the team.

#15 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,564 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

For me, this is the most disappointing season simply because this team is absolutely no fun to watch. Coaching without emotion or intelligence, mediocre goal tending, anemic scoring (and when we do it's nothing special to look at), defense without a bite and no superstars on the roster. 

What is there to look forward to in a game? At one point it was fun to watch Jagr, but alas, he has worn out as anticipated.

I don't remember a NJ team that had nothing fun to watch and even when they win it's like, whatever. You know that win really didn't signify that they got anything useful going for the future.

Oh, and do we even have any young players that are going to be stars? maybe...

The '95-'96 and the '07-'08 teams were tough watches.  I still don't know how Sutter squeezed 99 points of the '08 team. 

#30 FOREVER!

#16 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

The '95-'96 and the '07-'08 teams were tough watches.  I still don't know how Sutter squeezed 99 points of the '08 team. 

Brodeur.  It's that simple.  Same thing for the 06-07 team.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#17 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Jagr has worn out?

He's got 25 shots in his last 5 games, Corsi of 63.7% last 10 games, he's the only thing keeping this team afloat.

Edited by Triumph, 30 March 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#18 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

The MacLean season is the most disappointing. I wouldn't call it frustrating, there was a point where we could no longer get our hopes up. The rest of the season was just a shot in the dark anyways and actually quite enjoyable.

Jagr has worn out?

He's got 25 shots in his last 5 games, Corsi of 63.7% last 10 games, he's the only thing keeping this team afloat.

What does a high Corsi and 25 shots mean if you're not scoring and not winning? Jagr has 1 point in his last 5 games. He can take all the shots he wants, that does not win us games. Nor has it. You can't argue he is keeping us afloat when we are not producing. He may be worn out or he may just be temporarily cooling down, either ways the decrease in production has been felt.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#19 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

:doh1: :doh1: :doh1:  A team like that doesn't deserve to make the playoffs! :doh1: :doh1: :doh1:

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#20 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

What does a high Corsi and 25 shots mean if you're not scoring and not winning? Jagr has 1 point in his last 5 games. He can take all the shots he wants, that does not win us games. Nor has it. You can't argue he is keeping us afloat when we are not producing. He may be worn out or he may just be temporarily cooling down, either ways the decrease in production has been felt.

The assertion was that he is worn out.  If he was worn out, we should see that appear on other ways than on the goals and assists sheet, because goals and assists are random events buried within shots on goal and passes and so forth.  Since it doesn't look like Jagr's game is out of sorts at all other than that the puck isn't going in the net, I don't see any rationale for calling him worn out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users