65 replies to this topic

#21 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

When was he not given an opportunity? He played 21 games in the NHL this year and got hurt, then got sent down for roster limit reasons. All of that playing time in the AHL was probably great for his confidence and development.

What did he do during those 21 games that got him DEMOTED?? The guy was the #4 pick in the draft, some of you act like the Devils are the only team that would have picked him!!  

That's beside the point I was making. The assertion was that the Devils should be grateful that Larsson isn't making demands.

Actually if you listen to the radio broadcast they interviewed him, and he said everything you wanbted to hear, he was not upset about AHL, loved the idea of playing the most minutes and playing all aspects, PP, PK & 5 on 5 in the closing minutes every night. So why all the venom towards this kid??

I personally think LL did him wrong, and would not be surprised if he held it against NJ, thankfully this does not seem to be the case...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#22 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

What did he do during those 21 games that got him DEMOTED?? The guy was the #4 pick in the draft, some of you act like the Devils are the only team that would have picked him!!  

Actually if you listen to the radio broadcast they interviewed him, and he said everything you wanbted to hear, he was not upset about AHL, loved the idea of playing the most minutes and playing all aspects, PP, PK & 5 on 5 in the closing minutes every night. So why all the venom towards this kid??

I personally think LL did him wrong, and would not be surprised if he held it against NJ, thankfully this does not seem to be the case...

Who is spewing venom at Larsson? Who said he has a bad attitude? We are discussing the quote by devlman: "God bless the kid for not asking to outta [sic] here by now."

Now that you brought it up though, I'm sure Larsson is very frustrated that he is down in the minors. And he should be frustrated. You can't seriously argue he is happy to be down there.

Edited by Neb00rs, 01 April 2014 - 01:49 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#23 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Who is spewing venom at Larsson? Who said he has a bad attitude? We are discussing the quote by devlman: "God bless the kid for not asking to outta [sic] here by now."

Now that you brought it up though, I'm sure Larsson is very frustrated that he is down in the minors. And he should be frustrated. You can't seriously argue he is happy to be down there.

Not at all, just saying he said the right things, did not cause any issues...
Posted Image

2006 JHL CHAMPION!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#24 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

I said this in the chat last night: Larsson playing the year in the AHL could be the best thing for him and the organization. The key thing is that Merrill took his spot this season, no one else. So what do we have? We have two young defenseman that we know are 100% ready to be in the NHL next season and play a lot. 

Merrill has gotten accustomed to the NHL game and is a regular in the lineup from here on out.

Larsson is in a great situation in Albany getting a ton of minutes in all situations. He's playing -- never a guarantee in NJ and gaining more and more confidence.

I feel great, and I bet Lou does too that he can pencil in both as regulars next season. It will help him finally make the right decisions on the defense in the off-season.

Edited by devilsrule33, 01 April 2014 - 02:25 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#25 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

I said this in the chat last night: Larsson playing the year in the AHL could be the best thing for him and the organization. The key thing is that Merrill took his spot this season, no one else. So what do we have? We have two young defenseman that we know are 100% ready to be in the NHL next season and play a lot. 

Merrill has gotten accustomed to the NHL game and is a regular in the lineup from here on out.

Larsson is in a great situation in Albany getting a ton of minutes in all situations. He's playing -- never a guarantee in NJ and gaining more and more confidence.

I feel great, and I bet Lou does too that he can pencil in both as regulars next season. It will help him finally make the right decisions on the defense in the off-season.

Are you sure though? does penciling those 2 regulars means letting Zids go? Just so Salvador and A-Train sill have a spot for sure? Zids may not be the greatest defensively but he's been huge getting us some production and creating plays.

Salvador somehow has to go, there's no other way around it and i'll be incredibly pissed if he's still there next season

www.SterioDesign.com

#26 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

Are you sure though? does penciling those 2 regulars means letting Zids go? Just so Salvador and A-Train sill have a spot for sure? Zids may not be the greatest defensively but he's been huge getting us some production and creating plays.

Salvador somehow has to go, there's no other way around it and i'll be incredibly pissed if he's still there next season

I don't think either of those two being in the lineup mean Zidlicky has to go. If they trust Gelinas to have a spot, Zid is gone. I definitely think the Devils need an offensive component in the lineup each night on D. I really hope it can be Gelinas, but his defensive play needs a ton of work. I'm not sure who in the organization is going to teach him either.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#27 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

I agree entirely, and yes, Zidlicky should go.  Zidlicky's spot should be given to Eric Gelinas, they are both equally bad on the defensive side of the puck, but Gelinas put in Zidlicky's role will not only improve our powerplay over the course of a season, you can give Gelinas very sheltered minutes if he is the #5 or #6 guy.  Lou does need to change it up on defense, but who would you rather have Sterio? Mark Fayne or Marek Zidlicky? Because both of them are not coming back.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#28 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

Time for Mr Harris to MVP this off-season.

http://capgeek.com/b...=06&buyout_d=15

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#29 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Time for Mr Harris to MVP this off-season.

http://capgeek.com/b...=06&buyout_d=15

Could be even better if they use the compliance buyout

#30 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

I agree entirely, and yes, Zidlicky should go.  Zidlicky's spot should be given to Eric Gelinas, they are both equally bad on the defensive side of the puck, but Gelinas put in Zidlicky's role will not only improve our powerplay over the course of a season, you can give Gelinas very sheltered minutes if he is the #5 or #6 guy.  Lou does need to change it up on defense, but who would you rather have Sterio? Mark Fayne or Marek Zidlicky? Because both of them are not coming back.

Green Merril

Larsson Gelinas

Volch Fayne

Zids Harrold

Thats what i'd like to see if we'd really have to carry 8 dmen.... even then if i had to cut another one it would be Harrold. There's absolutely no spot for Salvador

you say we should get rid of Zid cause Gelinas can do his job? How about we get rid of Salvador cause Volch or a fvcking cone could do his? honestly he's way over the hill and overpaid for what he's bringing

Edited by SterioDesign, 01 April 2014 - 03:07 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#31 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,909 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

He didn't do anything wrong. He got injured at the wrong time and when he came back, got sent to the AHL. No one said no one else would take him. All I said was he's 21 years old and time in the AHL isn't hurting him. He has no reason to be "asking out" of the organization as someone suggested.

No one "did him wrong" either. He was sent down for experience and he got plenty of it. He's supposed to be a big piece of the future here, so there's no reason to think playing all situations in the AHL would somehow upset him.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#32 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

He's 21 playing in the AHL. What reason does he have to be disgruntled?

Because our NHL defense is full of sh!t like Salvador, Harold, Volchenkov, Merrill and Gelinas (with their rookie mistakes). And, Lars was playing well up here. Furthermore, the NHL club has not been playing well. Thats why he has reason to be disgruntled. Fortunately, he doesnt seem to have that attitude.

Edited by devlman, 01 April 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#33 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

Green Merril

Larsson Gelinas

Volch Fayne

Zids Harrold

Thats what i'd like to see if we'd really have to carry 8 dmen.... even then if i had to cut another one it would be Harrold. There's absolutely no spot for Salvador

you say we should get rid of Zid cause Gelinas can do his job? How about we get rid of Salvador cause Volch or a fvcking cone could do his? honestly he's way over the hill and overpaid for what he's bringing

I lol'd reading your bit on Sal and Volch, this is true, while Zidlicky isnt the guy that I want to see go, he's the easiest to simply not re-sign, Sal and Volch both have at least 2 years.  I don't see LL buying out Sal or Volch, so they have to be there.  I envision
Greene-Fayne
Larsson-Merril
Sal-Volch
Harrold/Gelinas

However wishful thinking it may be, I do want to show Sal and Volch the door.  And sew the 'C' on Greene's sweater. Do you recall the TMZ footage, where after losing in game 6 in the SCF, I remember Greene appearing very father-like and like a leader in this situation, kind of watching over the younger guys(Henrique), herding them into the limo

#34 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

So why isn't gelinas in teh AHL learning how to play "D"? its great fro Larsson but not for Gelinas?? Makes no sense, Since Larson is better then him in every aspect except the shot...

On to another topic..

On teh NBCSN broadcast they put up a list of 6 d men that LL has ammassed that will be the future, obvisouly Larsson, Merril 7 Gelinas were 3, then Severson & Santini i think were 2 other, anyone know the 6th? and are the other 3 true NHl prospects
Posted Image

2006 JHL CHAMPION!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#35 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

So why isn't gelinas in teh AHL learning how to play "D"? its great fro Larsson but not for Gelinas?? Makes no sense, Since Larson is better then him in every aspect except the shot...

On to another topic..

On teh NBCSN broadcast they put up a list of 6 d men that LL has ammassed that will be the future, obvisouly Larsson, Merril 7 Gelinas were 3, then Severson & Santini i think were 2 other, anyone know the 6th? and are the other 3 true NHl prospects

Gelinas isn't in the AHL because when he plays, the powerplay in arguably a top 5, if not top 5, then a top 10 powerplay in the league.  Merril also see's PP time as well.  Those 2 bring something to the table offensively at least at times.  Do you want to know what DOES make sense?  We have too many defensemen to fit all of these young guys in the lineup, bottom line.  Larsson also got hurt and it was time for him to bite the bullet and do his time in the A, nothing wrong with that nor does it reflect poorly on Larsson.  I know I sound like a Gelinas homer in this post, but Gelinas has done almost 3 years in the AHL, it's NHL or trade him at this point.

As for the other dman, let me think....Larsson, Merril, Gelinas, Severson, Santini,  maybe Reece Scarlett? Or Brandon Burlon?

Edited by RizzMB30, 01 April 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#36 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Gelinas isn't in the AHL because when he plays, the powerplay in arguably a top 5, if not top 5, then a top 10 powerplay in the league.  Merril also see's PP time as well.  Those 2 bring something to the table offensively at least someone.  Do you want to know what DOES make sense?  We have too many defensemen to fit all of these young guys in the lineup, bottom line.  Larsson also got hurt and it was time for him to bite the bullet and do his time in the A.  I know I sound like a Gelinas homer in this post, but Gelinas has done almost 3 years in the AHL, it's NHL or trade him at this point.

yes the power play is better with him, but the team basically plays down a man when he is on the ice 5 v 5... 3 yrs in the AHL and still has no clue how to play "D"... the Devs cannot play a full season w/ 5 .5 dmen... he NEEDS to play both ends of the ice and if not, then trade him!
Posted Image

2006 JHL CHAMPION!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#37 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Gelinas defense hasn't been that bad.  He had a stretch when he played with Larsson where he had a solid stretch defensively.  Ever since Larsson got injured to the time he got sent down initially was when he was bad.  Ever since the Olympics, he's been decent defensively.  We need Gelinas in the lineup no matter what.  

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#38 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

Gelinas defense hasn't been that bad.  He had a stretch when he played with Larsson where he had a solid stretch defensively.  Ever since Larsson got injured to the time he got sent down initially was when he was bad.  Ever since the Olympics, he's been decent defensively.  We need Gelinas in the lineup no matter what.

Disagree, there have been plenty of games where his mistakes have lead to goals, I know the Bruins & Wild games he was on the ice for a bunch of goals...
Posted Image

2006 JHL CHAMPION!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#39 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

Obviously it can be argued that Larsson should be up for Gelinas. Clearly the coaches have decided that they'd rather have Gelinas's offensive presence on the PP.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#40 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

I love Gelly as much as the next, imo, he should be the 5th, or 6th dman. And on the power play. 5v5 he's worse then Zids defensively.

One day I can hope.. Our defensive pairs are as follows:
Greene-Gelinas
Larsson-Merill
Santini-Severson

Looks nice on paper.

Edited by CarterforPresident, 01 April 2014 - 04:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users