156 replies to this topic

#121 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

Using Hockey-Reference's Goals Saved Above Average metric, Schneider now +5.17, Brodeur -12.09. Schneider also has a .921 5v5 SV% compared to Brodeur's .900. I also don't want to see Brodeur play in any game as long as the team is mathematically still alive.

And for the boneheads who blindly insist on going with the "Yeah...but...Marty still wins!" nonsense:

Since 11/23:

11-11-3 record, .893 save%, 2.78 GAA (with even this GAA being the result of low shot volume more than anything else). 

Not one thing there to suggest Marty will give his team any better shot at winning any given game than Cory would. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#122 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

Any word on how long Patty, Rico, and Yayo will be out?  Those are three centers that we need badly if we are going to be able to do anything.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#123 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

I don't want to see Marty in net unless the Devils are eliminated from playoff contention.  There's two days of rest coming after the Calgary game.  Cory's more than earned the rest of the "relevant" games from here on out.  Even if Cory has a rough one on Tuesday, for ONCE, I'd like to see Marty not get the savior treatment. 

Thing is, Columbus has three more games between today and Wednesday...a loss by us tomorrow and the doomsday scenario says we could be mathematically eliminated by Thursday, or realistically out of it anyway

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#124 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

Thing is, Columbus has three more games between today and Wednesday...a loss by us tomorrow and the doomsday scenario says we could be mathematically eliminated by Thursday, or realistically out of it anyway

Oh I know, I don't kid myself about the Devils' chances.  It's still a longshot.  They've already gotten more help than they had any right to expect. 

If the "doomsday" scenario happens, I give Marty the rest of the games after Calgary.  I definitely didn't like some of his quotes, and he definitely comes off as the stereotypical delusional faded superstar who can't differentiate what was from what is, but I am 100% on-board with him getting three final "legacy games", as long as there's truly nothing at stake, and that there is no way that he's back here next season.  Hopefully, if doomsday happens, he wins two of the games, and at least his Devils career ends on as decent a note as could be asked under the circumstances.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#125 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

Two things came to mind immediately:

2. Cory Schneider. What a stud. There is your big game for you - actually two of them, skeeter.

You're damn right, and that's what I was waiting for since draft day last July.  

gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#126 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,897 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

I agree with all of you- no Marty unless and until we're mathematically eliminated. The thing that worries the living hell outta me is that Boston game means something and Pete starts Marty because it could be his last game as a Devil.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#127 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

I agree with all of you- no Marty unless and until we're mathematically eliminated. The thing that worries the living hell outta me is that Boston game means something and Pete starts Marty because it could be his last game as a Devil.

More like Lou would worry me in that situation...but I think that ship's finally sailed.  Marty didn't even make any public comments (for once) after being pulled on Monday.  Everyone knows this is Cory's ship now.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#128 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

Just a couple of nice "simple" numbers:

Zajac now has 10 goals and 14 assists in his last 28 GP.  Whatever you want to chalk that up to (better puck luck, etc), it's great to see that he may still have it in him to provide 50-60 points' worth of offense (especially if he's skating with the right guys).  The Devils flat-out need that from him.

Also great to see Cory's numbers inching towards where they were before the post-Olympic skid (looking more and more like that layoff played a role in his going cold).  Now up to .918 in save% and down to 2.02 in GAA on the season.  Two goals allowed or less in each of his last 6 GP (just seven overall), including none of course in the game against Florida that Marty "won" (kind of funny that if Cory allows one goal in that game, he gets the win). 

I don't want to see Marty in net unless the Devils are eliminated from playoff contention.  There's two days of rest coming after the Calgary game.  Cory's more than earned the rest of the "relevant" games from here on out.  Even if Cory has a rough one on Tuesday, for ONCE, I'd like to see Marty not get the savior treatment. 

And of course, as the anti-Marty fanatics are finally seeing, the system has been fair all along. Marty sh!ts the bed and so he sits. It wasn't even so much his fault this time around but he sits, because Cory is much more solid.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#129 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

I think the other players are getting used to having Cory in net. He's actually been getting good, still low, run support.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#130 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

And of course, as the anti-Marty fanatics are finally seeing, the system has been fair all along. Marty sh!ts the bed and so he sits. It wasn't even so much his fault this time around but he sits, because Cory is much more solid.

lol fair, it took seventy-five games (and four straight losses followed by nearly blowing a four-goal lead) to have a 'second' stretch where the best goalie plays.

#131 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

Cory played terrific last night. No reason he shouldn't get the rest of the games unless we are eliminated. In which case Marty should get his curtain call.

#132 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

Do you know what fair means because this wasn't it

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#133 JSR

JSR

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

I love Marty, loved him for years, but it's got to be Cory until we're out or we're in.

#134 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

you're insane.  the devils are going to miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 points and it's because of how much Brodeur played and you're going to sit here and defend the insane process that led to this.  There is absolutely no consistent logic to how the goalies have been selected this year.  Why wouldn't Brodeur get Friday's game?  Schneider didn't play that well on Tuesday and he didn't win, seems like a great opportunity to go back to Brodeur, who has been pretty good in March.  I don't even think Brodeur played that poorly against Florida.  It's been arbitrary all year long.

Edited by Triumph, 06 April 2014 - 09:37 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#135 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

if the devils make it in then

edit; use the pick

Edited by lazer, 06 April 2014 - 10:33 PM.

Posted Image

#136 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

you're insane.  the devils are going to miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 points and it's because of how much Brodeur played and you're going to sit here and defend the insane process that led to this.  There is absolutely no consistent logic to how the goalies have been selected this year.  Why wouldn't Brodeur get Friday's game?  Schneider didn't play that well on Tuesday and he didn't win, seems like a great opportunity to go back to Brodeur, who has been pretty good in March.  I don't even think Brodeur played that poorly against Florida.  It's been arbitrary all year long.

Enough with the "Devils are going to miss the playoffs because of Brodeur" horsesh!t." It is the most myopic and delusional thing I have ever seen written on this board. I'm sure if the Devils had Sydney Crosby we would have made the playoffs too, or if the team chose better sticks. The team will miss the playoffs because they didn't succeed as a team. They repeatedly failed to score goals and lost 11 shootouts, winning none.

Marty didn't play that bad against Florida, but that wasn't the issue. Both goaltenders were playing with pretty similar numbers over the past month or so - as soon as Debo got the chance, he went back to Cory. Cory has played 10 more games this season than he ever has before. There is a complete logic to to the scheduling of the goaltenders, to deny that is ludicrous - like Pete actually reached into a hat every night. It has been clear to me this whole season. Ya'll just want to be incredulous when Marty is announced as the starter.

#137 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

If the Devils miss the playoffs by 2 points or less to the jackets, that early season game in Columbus where Brodeur literally let in 5 softies in a 5-4 loss will be the difference

#138 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:31 AM

If the Devils miss the playoffs by 2 points or less to the jackets, that early season game in Columbus where Brodeur literally let in 5 softies in a 5-4 loss will be the difference

Or any of the times our offense couldn't muster one goal, or the terrible shootouts.

People around here sure like being able to put the blame on one guy.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#139 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

Or any of the times our offense couldn't muster one goal, or the terrible shootouts.

To be fair, it's easiest to point at the Marty starts because they were actually something that could be controlled directly by the Devils. Shootouts and scoring depend on luck and on how the other team is playing, but starting Marty or Cory is a 100% in the Devils' (well, Pete's) control. Yes, there were many places where we lost points this year but the Marty one is 100% on us and that makes it stand out as the worst, to me at least.

believe-devs.jpg

#140 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

How about both current wild card teams were from the WEST when the NHL made the dumb a$$ move to unbalance the conferences. Just another reason to love the NHL. 

"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users