GDT-Devils @ Hurricanes-7PM

Renato Rodrigues

It is a huge deal. Brodeur is bad and GAA is a terrible stat. There is reasoning because literally all Coach Deboer has to do is write a different name and the team gets better. That was it. Write down a different name 10 times and NJ is probably in the playoffs this year. Is it a great team? No, but it's a team that can go somewhere maybe if they get some shooting luck, because they have an elite goalie. One that they paid a 9th overall pick for and then sat on the bench for half the year.

That Cory is an elite goalie, or pretty close to it, is the key. If the other goalie were someone like Bryzgolav, probably still better than Marty, but nothing special, then the conversation would be a bit different.

That said, stinks it'll probably cost us a playoff spot, but it's one we'd probably get destroyed in anyway, if you want to rationalize it. sh!t happens though.

All signs point to Marty not being on the team next year. I fully expect Schneider to get a nice extension, or a very good return in a trade. If Lou pleasantly surprises us this offseason, the franchise should be in pretty decent shape for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is a huge deal.  Brodeur is bad and GAA is a terrible stat.  There is reasoning because literally all Coach Deboer has to do is write a different name and the team gets better.  That was it.  Write down a different name 10 times and NJ is probably in the playoffs this year.  Is it a great team?  No, but it's a team that can go somewhere maybe if they get some shooting luck, because they have an elite goalie.  One that they paid a 9th overall pick for and then sat on the bench for half the year.

This is a much better point. However, it just doesn't change the fact that the Devils did enough defensively to be in the playoffs. I have never had a problem with people saying that Marty is one of the reasons we won't make the playoffs this year, I have a problem with people stating Marty is the reason. If the Devils take a different shot 10 times, then they perhaps win 5 shootouts and are in the playoffs. If the Devils were just in the top 20 in the league in scoring they would perhaps be in the playoffs. It goes on and on, and blaming Marty is just not a worthy thing to do when the team was not good enough.