124 replies to this topic

#121 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

Eh it's everyone being on-edge with the way the Devils are.  Not much to talk about in terms of what's happening on the ice so this is the result.  This will be a looooooooooong summer and honestly that is the part that hurts the most with not making the playoffs.  Even if we were swept in the first round we probably would have gotten almost an extra 10 calendar days more of the season.  To me that is 10 days less of enjoying my favorite hobby which is following the Devils.

I don't know how to describe it but when my family used to go down the shore every summer we experienced from locals a lot of "go home, we don;t need you!" from them, but they had no probably taking our money and forcing us to pay just to set foot on their beaches which is free in the other 99.9999999% of the world's beaches.  I am not trying to make myself as some angel here but believe me we were far away from the stereotypical hard-partying, fist-pumping, drunk all the time crowd and we still got that attitude from a lot of shore residents.  I guess it is what it is.

I feel like you are also missing my point. We don't dislike the tourist crowd because a lot of them are loud-mouthed New Yorkers who come down to go to the clubs and start trouble. It's not like we see someone from out of town and think "Oh, great, they just came down to fist pump, and do whatever obnoxious thing they do". I mean, we hate that, but unfortunately, there are also a fair number of young Shore residents who do the same thing. The issue is that Shore towns have not only become a destination for the weekend tourist, but high rates of properties have come into vacation only use. The problem with that is instead of having the permanent resident who is going to be spending money all year round, 85%-90% of residents in some beach adjacent towns are here only for weekends in between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I again am not saying tourism shouldn't happen, and in some capacity, we'd obviously benefit from tourism. However, what's going on now is not economically, socially, culturally, or ecologically beneficial for the region. I just don't understand how so many of you feel as though the local population is wrong for feeling the way they do about the place they live. We KNOW, because we live here. Everyone also has to realize that with the seasonal resident comes the seasonal business owner. While a lot of Shore commerce is owned locally, and very good percentage is owned by people from New York and North Jersey. They come down during the summer, and pack up and go home in September with everyone else. And again, you have, but to a much less obnoxious extent, that attitude that we should be thankful for you coming down and spending your money here. That is something also not appreciated by the residents here.

We have to pay for the beach, too, by the way. That's unfortunately not a tax levied only on tourists. I just avoid the beach during badge checking hours.

Come down. Enjoy the Shore. But stay in a God damn hotel.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#122 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

I feel like you are also missing my point. We don't dislike the tourist crowd because a lot of them are loud-mouthed New Yorkers who come down to go to the clubs and start trouble. It's not like we see someone from out of town and think "Oh, great, they just came down to fist pump, and do whatever obnoxious thing they do". I mean, we hate that, but unfortunately, there are also a fair number of young Shore residents who do the same thing. The issue is that Shore towns have not only become a destination for the weekend tourist, but high rates of properties have come into vacation only use. The problem with that is instead of having the permanent resident who is going to be spending money all year round, 85%-90% of residents in some beach adjacent towns are here only for weekends in between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I again am not saying tourism shouldn't happen, and in some capacity, we'd obviously benefit from tourism. However, what's going on now is not economically, socially, culturally, or ecologically beneficial for the region. I just don't understand how so many of you feel as though the local population is wrong for feeling the way they do about the place they live. We KNOW, because we live here. Everyone also has to realize that with the seasonal resident comes the seasonal business owner. While a lot of Shore commerce is owned locally, and very good percentage is owned by people from New York and North Jersey. They come down during the summer, and pack up and go home in September with everyone else. And again, you have, but to a much less obnoxious extent, that attitude that we should be thankful for you coming down and spending your money here. That is something also not appreciated by the residents here.

We have to pay for the beach, too, by the way. That's unfortunately not a tax levied only on tourists. I just avoid the beach during badge checking hours.

Come down. Enjoy the Shore. But stay in a God damn hotel.

The thing is that you are making it like the vacationers are just there for 3-4 months out of the year and when the summer is up, they just leave the town in a lurch.  Those properties are vacant, but they are still paying property taxes on them.  So basically these people are paying 12 months worth of property taxes on 3-4 months of use.  Not only that, but since they are like businesses opening up in other towns where they pay taxes but do not put as much pressure on the infrastructure like homes do (in other words, they don't have kids to send to school which for most towns make up about 2/3 of the property tax bill), then these shore towns are actually coming out ahead.  Hell most towns would kill for that kind of situation where they get a years worth of revenue but only use 3-4 months of infrastructure use.

Not only that, but how are people supposed to use the local businesses year round when most of them are seasonal?  A lot of shore towns such as Wildwood are a ghost town in the off-season.

#123 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

I love me some local summer (after Labor Day)

#124 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

The thing is that you are making it like the vacationers are just there for 3-4 months out of the year and when the summer is up, they just leave the town in a lurch.  Those properties are vacant, but they are still paying property taxes on them.  So basically these people are paying 12 months worth of property taxes on 3-4 months of use.  Not only that, but since they are like businesses opening up in other towns where they pay taxes but do not put as much pressure on the infrastructure like homes do (in other words, they don't have kids to send to school which for most towns make up about 2/3 of the property tax bill), then these shore towns are actually coming out ahead.  Hell most towns would kill for that kind of situation where they get a years worth of revenue but only use 3-4 months of infrastructure use.

Not only that, but how are people supposed to use the local businesses year round when most of them are seasonal?  A lot of shore towns such as Wildwood are a ghost town in the off-season.

These towns are seasonal because there are no permanent residents in the area. Put two and two together. The lessened use of infrastructure, although a good point, still doesn't make up for the loss in sales taxes and lost business. Kids aren't going to the schools, which means less burden on municipal budgets, but it also means parents aren't buying their kids school supplies in town. They're not hiring tutors or enrolling their kids in after school activities.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#125 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

This is your typical rags fan:

BkvaujlIYAAfITB.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users