230 replies to this topic

#201 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,010 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:31 PM

Sadly he's not a backup at this point...he's started eight of their last nine games.  But it is a little much hearing Jagr say Ramo had the best performance from a goalie he's ever seen.  Our best scoring chances were coming from Ryan freaking Carter and one from Bernier, and we wonder why we couldn't score?

No one wonders. There was clearly a lack of offensive talent in the lineup tonight and all season really. Been that way for two years.

I hate the backup goalie stuff. It's the same trouble for any team that struggles to score goals. But the Devils did well against a whole bunch of backups this season. You just remember the bad ones. It's just a title too. Doesn't mean a lot of them aren't good enough to be starters.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#202 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,993 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

Sadly he's not a backup at this point...he's started eight of their last nine games.  But it is a little much hearing Jagr say Ramo had the best performance from a goalie he's ever seen.  Our best scoring chances were coming from Ryan freaking Carter and one from Bernier, and we wonder why we couldn't score?

This was good, but best EVER? Not a chance Jags. Remember last year we outshot Boston and Toronto something like 100-20 in consecutive games and lost both? Those were worse.

We had 31 shots today, but to be honest passed up on some chances as well. I don't think we had a single 2 on 1 or breakaway either (Calgary did) we had bad bounces with chaos in front of the net...but few clean looks

Edited by '7', 07 April 2014 - 10:32 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#203 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,993 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

They're not going to bother playing him in a meaningless road game if that's what it is and they're not going to play him if they're mathematically alive either.  He'll probably wind up playing the home games Friday and Sunday.

I think Cory deserves to play Friday against the Isles as a sort of farewell cap on the season as well in front of the home fans. He's been spectacular of late and endeared himself to the fans. Marty can have his moment on Sunday against Boston. It can kind of be an in with the new OUT WITH THE OLD type weekend

I don't think we'll be mathematically alive on Thursday. Columbus is letting us off the mat again. And no way in hell Detroit does. In a way that's not terrible as this loss too Calgary won't really matter.

Edited by '7', 07 April 2014 - 10:38 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#204 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,196 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

No one wonders. There was clearly a lack of offensive talent in the lineup tonight and all season really. Been that way for two years.

I hate the backup goalie stuff. It's the same trouble for any team that struggles to score goals. But the Devils did well against a whole bunch of backups this season. You just remember the bad ones. It's just a title too. Doesn't mean a lot of them aren't good enough to be starters.

Not really, they're 8-20 overall against backups according to this (well with several loser points sprinkled in)...the guy who did this post missed one of the McIlhenney losses though.

http://hfboards.hock...521&postcount=1

Edited by NJDevs4978, 07 April 2014 - 10:36 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#205 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

That list of backups would be more depressing if NJ didn't start a guy who is worse than most of those guys 35 times this year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#206 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,010 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

Not really, they're 8-20 overall against backups according to this (well with several loser points sprinkled in)...the guy who did this post missed one of the McIlhenney losses though.

http://hfboards.hock...521&postcount=1

So maybe they underachieved against backups and overachieved against good goalies. There were a lot of shootout losses to backups that fudge the numbers. It's a pointless exercise. Backups on good teams generally do well, don't they?

And good point Tri...every team's fans that Brodeur beat are probably saying the same thing.

Edited by devilsrule33, 07 April 2014 - 10:46 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#207 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

I'm not frustrated with the loss since I gave up on the playoffs awhile ago and I can appreciate the effort they are showing despite the current injury situation but Ryder bothers me. 1 goal in his last 33 games, just 8 assists over that time. Completely unacceptable. This isn't him being his usual streaky self - just complete ineptitude. Under no circumstance do I want to see him in a Devils uniform next year.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#208 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

I'm not frustrated with the loss since I gave up on the playoffs awhile ago and I can appreciate the effort they are showing despite the current injury situation but Ryder bothers me. 1 goal in his last 33 games, just 8 assists over that time. Completely unacceptable. This isn't him being his usual streaky self - just complete ineptitude. Under no circumstance do I want to see him in a Devils uniform next year.

He looks completely disinterested. He isn't getting quality scoring chances, this isn't just puck-luck. He's lazy and he's slow; he never holds the puck, he doesn't carry play, he's awful at passing. He is my least favorite devil who's name isn't Bryce, and it isn't even close

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#209 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,196 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:30 PM

That list of backups would be more depressing if NJ didn't start a guy who is worse than most of those guys 35 times this year.

And who's fault is that? :P

Kidding aside, I can't get behind Brodeur being worse than Carter Hutton, or Jason LaBarbera, or Raanta, Emery, Nilsson or the kid Buffalo played the other night.  Some of these guys are just flat trash.  Granted, this version of Marty isn't much better at this point...but that's still a little much.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 07 April 2014 - 11:31 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#210 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,010 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

And who's fault is that? :P

Kidding aside, I can't get behind Brodeur being worse than Carter Hutton, or Jason LaBarbera, or Raanta, Emery, Nilsson or the kid Buffalo played the other night.  Some of these guys are just flat trash.  Granted, this version of Marty isn't much better at this point...but that's still a little much.

Carter Hutton was better than Brodeur this year. Antti Raanta was not, but that is a pointless example. The Hawks didn't beat the Devils twice because of their goaltending. They won because of everything else and the Devils have done just fine with a ton of backups over the years from Hedberg (not last year, Clemmensen, Schwab, Vanbiesbrouck. Good teams win with sh!t in nets a lot of the time.

LaBarbera is trash, and he was trash against the Devils. He let in 4 goals on 25 shots, but the Devils backup goalie was worse.

Just like with Marty and Cory, you can't simply go by wins and losses.

Edited by devilsrule33, 07 April 2014 - 11:47 PM.

logokx.jpg

#211 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

Lol at you clowns who even thought goaltendng mattered this season after last night's game and the 30 or so more just like it.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#212 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,381 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:15 AM

Sometimes I think you just have to make a statement with certain guys.  I think Ryder is one of them. 

Is there a chance some team buys low on him, and he bounces back and scores 25+ for his new team, making that GM look awfully good?  Sure. 

But no way in hell that I hang onto Ryder because I'm afraid of that happening.  Seriously, screw him.  9 points in 33 games?  The guy has literally done nothing for a team that desperately needed contributions from him, and while we're talking about numbers, his shots are down too...2 SPG this season, 2.41 SPG for his career (to be fair, that number is puffed up a bit by his first three seasons, where he averaged 2.78 SPG).  He's only had a couple of years similar to this one, as far as SPG go (in '07-'08 and '10-'11), and his numbers those seasons are similar to ones he's put up this year.  Basically, if he's not getting his shots, he's not producing.

Of course, pure "puck-luck" guys will fire back with:

If he reached his career 12.6% rate, he'd have 20 goals this season.

If he shot the 14.7% rate he averaged in the prior two seasons, he'd have 23 goals.   

That's fine and it makes some sense and that does support a case for a potential turn-around next season...but for me, it goes back to the same thing.  The guy friggin' VANISHED for almost a full half-season.  I don't think he should get a mulligan on it.  And fans in Boston probably thought he'd bounce back in '10-'11 after he scored 18 goals in '09-'10, but he basically had a similar year...18 goals in 79 GP after scoring 18 goals in 82 GP.  No way I'm taking a chance on a repeat of this season with Ryder...even if the goals are sprinkled out more evenly, 18 goals or so from a Ryder-type just aren't enough.    

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#213 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:19 AM

Lol at you clowns who even thought goaltendng mattered this season after last night's game and the 30 or so more just like it.

Goaltending matters even more in a season like this when you can't score

#214 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,381 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:31 AM

Goaltending definitely factored in, especially when one guy was mostly not good, outside of one 10-game run that puffed his numbers up (he had an .887 save% outside his 10/26 to 11/25 burst.  He was at .891 after that run ended.  That's about as bad as it gets, especially when the other guy is at .919 on the season and has now shown twice that he can go on "unconscious" runs when given the chance...he's at .955 in his last seven games). 

But it was most definitely not JUST goaltending.  Devils got shut out 10 times this season.  And there were plenty of other issues (shootout futility, etc).  Injuries clearly hurt too, but a lot of teams have to deal with that.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#215 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,447 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

Im more frustated at what seems like a never ending list of losses to bnon playoff teams.. anyone have the Devs record against them?
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#216 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,010 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

I'm not ready to get rid of Ryder even though I agree he was awful. He needs someone to get him the puck. He scored 15 or so goals that no on else on the team is capable of. There are a 8-9 guys that can do most hockey things better than Ryder. He can score better than 8-9 guys.  He's got 1-year left.

Edited by devilsrule33, 08 April 2014 - 07:53 AM.

logokx.jpg

#217 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

ryder, brunner, bernier all three of them are useless and can take a hike..however that wont happen, maybe bernier i hope to god they dont resign him but who knows anymore with this team. more disappointment after disappointment it really sucks around here the past few years (except 11-12 obviously)
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#218 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,381 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

Im more frustated at what seems like a never ending list of losses to bnon playoff teams.. anyone have the Devs record against them?

Don't think there was that much difference between their records against top-10, mid-10, and bottom-10 teams, though MB tried to present a flawed case as to how the Devils would prosper against bottom-10s.  I think their point%s against top 10 is around .450 and around .550 against everyone else.  At any rate, their point% overall is .532, which as we know is nothing special.  We also knew it was going to take something in the .660 area post Olympic break to really challenge for a playoff spot, and they've gone 9-7-3 in that time...just .553.  Simply not good enough, and if anything, Devils got a lot more help than they really could've banked on...this 4-0-3 run was nice (but also frustating at times), but overall the reason the Devils are still mathematically alive has to do with Toronto falling apart (6-11-2 since the break), and teams like Ottawa, Washington and Carolina not playing terribly well after the break either (7-8-3, 8-7-4, and 8-11-2 respectively).  Columbus (11-7-2) and Detroit (also 11-7-2) did just enough.      

#30 FOREVER!

#219 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

im just frustrated at having nothing to be excited about again coming into the end of the season.. even though i pretty much knew this team was not going to make it im still disappointed, its a long off season until october
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#220 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

I'm not ready to get rid of Ryder even though I agree he was awful. He needs someone to get him the puck. He scored 15 or so goals that no on else on the team is capable of. There are a 8-9 guys that can do most hockey things better than Ryder. He can score better than 8-9 guys.  He's got 1-year left.

Agree 100% and I've been saying it for a while, even during his slump. He was worth the money, he just has that killer instinct the moment he wants to score a goal, his snipe is one of the most dangerous on the team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users