#121 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

I am not betting against that.

Me either.  My posts about "it being over" is just my wishful thinking !!    Brodeur has been awesome, just not anymore

I just hope that Lou sees that missing the playoffs in 3 of 4 seasons is a significant problem for many areas, and that having #30 around next season wishing to play half the games is not a recipe for success.

Unless #30 has an epiphany over the summer and says he'll be content with a max of 25-30 games....

Let the speculation begin Sunday night...

Actually next year will be the first since 11-12 where there is not a compressed schedule, which should lead to more rest for the #1 keeper, allowing #1 to play even more often !

It's not going to be a good year to be #2 next season

#122 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,898 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

Here is what I think you are missing. Yes, the Devils have had trouble scoring in past seasons. Your point is actually helping explain many poster's points here. The combination of a good defensive team along with good/great goaltending can overcome awful offenses. Brodeur has shown that, and people here think Cory could have done so as well if he got the bulk of the starts like Brodeur did.

Instead of acknowledging Brodeur being awful this year, you went the other way and said Brodeur dealt with crappy offenses in the past, so Cory should too. Brodeur was perfect many nights, so Cory should too. But you took your argument a bit too far. Brodeur was coming off 4 straight losses and let in 3 goals on 9 shots. That was nothing close to Cory letting in an almost impossible shot to a guy skating right into a 100MPH blast with a rolling puck.

Maybe you look at the 2007-2008 season differently if Brodeur only got 45 starts and Kevin Weekes got 37. Maybe then you'd be saying well if Brodeur was better in this game or that game, we'd be fine. It be pretty ridiculous, no?

Thing with this its all about the scoring itself... it's more about the timing, the ability to score clutch goals. If you look at the numbers by itself its simply spreaded out through the whole season, didnt mean much.

The whole problem with this season was mostly the timing to me, unreal. Of course our scoring inability was bad, it showed in games and in SO but when we'd score a lot, the defence would suck and then the other way around.

Great teams can raise their game and get important goals at the right time. Chicago 2 season ago was fvcking unreal. Of course they had all those unreal players and skills so im not comparing them directly to NJ, but just the timing of their goals. They we're down a goal late in the game, you simply knew they'd get one.

www.SterioDesign.com

#123 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:27 AM

It's not groupthink, it's a .900 save % over 37 games. It's fact. No one near the playoffs is playing a goalie that bad, that many times. Meanwhile there are two teams scoring at similar rates in the playoffs.

Show me where anyone said Marty is the sole reason. There's a lot of blame to go around, I just feel he deserves the biggest part of the pie.

Nobody is saying Marty is the 'sole reason.' What has been said, to the nth degree, is that Marty is the 'main reason.' And that's clearly what posters here have taken issue with.

The day anyone publicly calls out Brodeur in that locker room will be the first time it ever happened. They've been kissing his butt for a long time. I don't think you'd have any player on any team comment on comments from a player with that status. Doesn't mean they don't like it.

This may be true or not, still has no relevance to this debate.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users