• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

NEWARK— The Devils held their annual team awards fan event Tuesday and Jaromir Jagr was voted Most Valuable Player by his teammates.

The Players' Player Award went to Ryan Carter while defenseman Andy Greene was voted Unsung Hero.

Assistant coach Mike Foligno presented Greene his award; assistant coach Scott Stevens gave Carter his award and assistant coach Dave Barr presented Jagr with the MVP award.

http://www.nj.com/de...nsung_hero.html

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#2 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:48 PM

The correct choices IMO.  I really hope Greene stays when he is a FA after next season.  I see no reason for Lou not to keep him.

#3 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

I agree. Exactly right.

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#4 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

I took the day off and went to the awards. It was pretty nice. If anyone's interested, here's a dropbox link to some pics I took:

https://www.dropbox....mbx6/F8bh0QnmeP

Enjoy.

Edited by Brick Pig, 08 April 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#5 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,124 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

Andy Greene is overqualified for his award. In 2010 it was a good award for him, but not this year. That award has historically gone to a Pandolfo or a Brylin type. Greene is the real deal and an MVP candidate.

Having said that, happy he was rewarded.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#6 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

Happy for Jagr.....bring him back Lou.

And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#7 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,447 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

Andy Greene is overqualified for his award. In 2010 it was a good award for him, but not this year. That award has historically gone to a Pandolfo or a Brylin type. Greene is the real deal and an MVP candidate.

To a degree you could say he is unsung 'around the league' given the disgraceful way he was overlooked by team USA.  He certainly isn't unsung by Devil fans or the staff at this point though.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#8 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

Exactly right

#9 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,244 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

He'll get rewarded with a big fat "C" hopefully next season.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#10 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

perfect choices for sure!
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#11 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

To a degree you could say he is unsung 'around the league' given the disgraceful way he was overlooked by team USA.  He certainly isn't unsung by Devil fans or the staff at this point though.

This, the award was perfect for this reason. Though, I kind of agree with DR33 - enough already, we know how good he is.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#12 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:56 PM

Also, it would have been so Lou if he fired DeBoer mid-speech.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#13 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

I took the day off and went to the awards. It was pretty nice. If anyone's interested, here's a dropbox link to some pics I took:

https://www.dropbox....mbx6/F8bh0QnmeP

Enjoy.

Thanks for the pics! Very nice.

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#14 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

It concerns me that this award for carter goes towards him being re-signed. While I don't hate the idea, I am hoping for him and Bernier to be replaced with some combo of josefson, sislo, Boucher, and matteau.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#15 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

i wouldnt mind having carter back but bernier absolutely needs to go
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#16 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

I'll take Carter back.  Bernier I could take or leave.  Gio has to go as he is completely useless.

#17 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

I'm with the point that Carter can come back, he has really become a "Pandolfo" like player, minus the constant PK'ing that Pandolfo did a lot of.  Carter yay, Bernier and Gionta, nay nay.  Greene should be captain as long as Lou can show Salvador the door.  At this point I'd much rather see Salvador go than Volchenkov.  As for Jagr, absolutely yes.  He has been healthy all year long and that's phenomenal for a 42 year old.  Hopefully his training regimen keeps him going strong for next year as well....It makes me really happy that we can bring in a player such as Jagr and have him enjoy playing here moreso than Philly, Dallas, or Boston.  That's if he comes back. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#18 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,034 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

i wouldnt mind having carter back but bernier absolutely needs to go

Agreed.

And I wouldn't mind seeing the little engine use could replaced by a serviceable big body.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#19 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

I'm cool with Carter coming back, but Bernier needs to get the fvck out. Gionta too.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#20 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

this carter/pandolfo talk always makes me laugh. i think it's the fact that it's a bottom 6 guy wearing #20.

pando's strength was his defensive play and PK. he wasn't much on the cycle and i always felt he didn't know where to be in the offensive zone which was funny considering that he was an offensive player in college.

carter is hardly used in a PK role, but can cycle effectively and basically doesn't lose his position in the defensive zone.

gionta hasn't been as bad as in years past and i think he's reached "mascot" status but i don't want to be complaining about him next year and i just have a feeling that we will be (especially with his brother back playing wing which is something i can 100% see lou doing).

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users