120 replies to this topic

#41 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

I mean the quote was okay. I didn't like his last little bit and he's I'd rather he just shut up but he didn't say ANYTHING bout the Devils "accepting mediocrity." Sensational headline.

“The thing is, we used to be a team that didn’t hover over .500,” Brodeur said Wednesday afternoon. “That’s something only the last few years we’ve been content with being that."

Pretty much a different way of saying that they're accepting mediocrity.  If you can give him a mild pass on anything, it's that he said "we" and not "they", so he could be acknowledging that he's part of that mentality.  But to me and many others, I just want him to shut up already...it'd be one thing if he was providing Brodeur circa 2006-07 goaltending and was getting flustered that the team in front of him didn't seem to care, but like everyone knows, his level of play has factored in heavily to the dropoff of the last couple of years.  I don't think he realizes that his on-ice performance is a big part of the problem. 

I know Schneider is already penciled in for tonight, and since it's a road game, the Devils might as well stick to that.  Give Marty the final two regular season home games.  Let him have his final farewell games and let the fans say goodbye to him.  Hopefully the Devils find a way to win them both (Boston has absolutely nothing to play for, wouldn't surprise me if they're not into that one at all), and Marty can finish the season with a save% .900 or better and 689 wins.  Then, I REALLY hope it's announced shortly after that he is moving on.  No "suspense" if Marty is staying or not.  No crap from Marty's camp about how he's open to the idea of staying but hasn't heard anything from Lou and we'll see what happens come UFA, etc. 

Anyone who isn't the blindest of Marty fanboys knows that it's over.  It needs to be over, and quickly.  Hopefully Marty won't resort to taking shots at Lou or anyone else if they dare to tell him "Thanks, but no thanks", but if he does, he'll only be making himself look bad (and delusional to boot).  Cory needs to get 50+ (preferably 60+) starts next season, and his backup needs to be someone capable of providing somewhere around average-level goaltending.  End of story.  Marty is just a faded brand-name now.  

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#42 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

We get it, you are loyal to some players and its your opinion. Just like your hate on the Kovy and Jagr signings. But this is one of the most asinine comments I've seen, even for you it's an f'd up comment. Are you that delusional like Brodeur? Put the team first!

Marty fanboys just don't get it.

You clearly DON'T get it.   

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#43 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

And?  Schnieder's GAA is 2 on the season, the lowest GAA of anyone who's played more than 30 games.  Look at the guys immediately above and below Cory in GAA and tell me what you notice about their W-L records...hint, EVERY DARN ONE of them has a winning record except for Cory.  Not allowing goals is supposed to give you a better chance to win, and it does for just about every team in the league except ours.

http://www.nhl.com/i...sAgainstAverage

Just pointing out, during this hissy fit aimed at Marty's fair assesment,  that Marty carried us the first few months of the season and he has more than half the teams victories in less games played.     Marty DOES bear some responsibility, but some of the comments here are beyond reason. 

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#44 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

I think he's right. Even as a fan I have lower standards than in previous year. If they made the playoffs I would have considered this year a success while in previous years the playoffs were automatic. I know that the players aren't as good as in previous years but that's kind of part of it. 

Although I agree with what everyone else is saying as far as... this is sour grapes and he needs to shut up at this point.

Posted Image

#45 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

The problem with this is the amount of people who want it both ways. There's one of two scenarios:

A) the team sucks
B) the team doesn't suck, but they are ok with being mediocre

If the team sucks so bad as everyone proclaimed in the Marty thread, then it's not a matter of accepting mediocrity it's simply not being good enough to be anything else

Edited by Devils Pride 26, 10 April 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#46 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

Just pointing out, during this hissy fit aimed at Marty's fair assesment,  that Marty carried us the first few months of the season and he has more than half the teams victories in less games played.     Marty DOES bear some responsibility, but some of the comments here are beyond reason. 

Marty "carried" the Devils for about one month and 10 games, and he was terrific in those 10.  He was pretty bad the rest of the time, save for some mini-bursts...outside of those 10 games, he had an .887 save%.

Marty's save% since his 10-game hot spell ended:  .891  (game logs show he's been pretty inconsistent from start to start)

Cory's save% over that same time frame:  .917 (and he had a couple of terrific streaks in there...he had a .944 save% from 12/28 to 2/8 (15 games), and is .949 for his last seven games).  A couple of rough spells in that time too, but nothing more than four games or so. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#47 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

Lamoriello on ownership: "The stability of this organization is there right now and mediocrity is not something that acceptable to them and that’s probably what I like and respect the most about them."

well then they better buy out Salvador this summer.

What a fvcking disgrace, worst captain in the NHL by a mile. Did anyone actually ever saw a Salvador jersey with a C on it in the stands? im actually really curious about that.

www.SterioDesign.com

#48 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

Marty "carried" the Devils for about one month and 10 games, and he was terrific in those 10.  He was pretty bad the rest of the time, save for some mini-bursts...outside of those 10 games, he had an .887 save%.

Marty's save% since his 10-game hot spell ended:  .891  (game logs show he's been pretty inconsistent from start to start)

Cory's save% over that same time frame:  .917 (and he had a couple of terrific streaks in there...he had a .944 save% from 12/28 to 2/8 (15 games), and is .949 for his last seven games).  A couple of rough spells in that time too, but nothing more than four games or so. 

I am not saying anything bad about Corey, he has been very consistent and good.  But the team tends to WIN more when Marty plays for whatever reason.    

Again, all the hissy fits here blaming Marty for not scoring is a little silly.  

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#49 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

I am not saying anything bad about Corey, he has been very consistent and good.  But the team tends to WIN more when Marty plays for whatever reason.    

Again, all the hissy fits here blaming Marty for not scoring is a little silly.  

But you're doing just to opposite and blaming Cory for not "winning" enough, which is blaming him for not scoring as well.

Pot, kettle.

believe-devs.jpg

#50 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

The Devils had a good, but not great team this year.  Mediocre is an insulting term to use for this team imo considering that there were many more good things than bad things about this team.  Consistent offense really hurt the team.  Why was the offense inconsistent?  Well it's a number of things.

1. Gelinas and Larsson were badly misused.  There was no reason for Gelinas to be constantly sent down, brought back up, and scratched. His defense might have been bad at times, but that's no reason to send him down and scratch him for long periods of time.  It stunts the growth of any young player.  Larsson should have been on the team all year.  Larsson is the best passing defenseman on the team, and could have definitely helped with the breakout as well as the powerplay.

2. Injuries at the wrong times.  Obviously every team deals with injuries.  But Brunner early on in the season got hurt when he was in the middle of a hot stretch.  Elias, Henrique, and Clowe all got hurt at the worst possible time at the end of the season.

3. Constantly changing lines.  How are the guys gonna gain any kind of chemistry if they have new linemates every week?  Splitting Henrique and Elias up was so moronic that one week.  The one guy who was consistent all year, was the only one who had a consistent linemate all year.  Jagr and Zajac was the only pairing Pete refused to split up.

4. No luck.  The Devils had a very good puck possession team this year, and outplayed their opponents more times than not.  The Devils had a lot of bad luck in the shootout this year as well which contributed.

The Devils had a plenty good enough team to make the playoffs this year.  Too many things went wrong for them, and that's why they missed the playoffs.  If you miss the playoffs, it doesn't mean you weren't good enough necessarily.

I also want to point out that Marty talking like the Devils need an Attitude Adjustment really grinds my gears.  It's by far one of the most ironic things he could have said.  If anyone needs an attitude adjustment, it's him.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#51 NJDfan1711

NJDfan1711

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

A few thoughts:

3) For for him to talk about mediocrity is laughable. The only way I'd agree with him is if he said, "Deboer should have started Cory 65 games if we didn't want to be mediocre". Honestly, the team that signs Brodeur next season and gives him what he wants (more games than this year) will be the leader in the clubhouse for "accepting mediocrity" For Brodeur to say that, he is insulting Lou, Conte, Deboer, and his teammates.

No goalie (or player for that matter) is ever going to say that, nor should they.  It's one thing to recognize in your own heart that your abilities may be declining, but as long as you want to put on the jersey and take a paycheck, you should be willing and have the desire to go out there and be the number one, leading and taking charge.  There are some players there are better at it than others, but I wouldn't a goalie on my team, starter or backup, who didn't want to BE the starter, even if he is a 42yr old.   I'm not saying these stories and comments make me warm and fuzzy, but what I am saying is that I think it's just media fodder and people get wayyyy too worked up over this stuff that really means nothing, and I would much rather have a goalie that wants to play and is dying for playing time than a goalie who is melancholy and half-hearted, not caring whether we win or lose because he's at the end of his career and basically set every damn record there is. 

#52 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

It's not accepting mediocrity if your team is mediocre at best to begin with.  As Bill Parcells once said, "We are what our record says we are."  The 2013-14 Devils are a middle of the road team with no depth that can't score goals.  This team is not good ... plain and simple.  One thing I will take away from this season is that they worked hard and never quit.  They just don't have the talent needed to be successful.

Posted Image

#53 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

No goalie (or player for that matter) is ever going to say that, nor should they.  It's one thing to recognize in your own heart that your abilities may be declining, but as long as you want to put on the jersey and take a paycheck, you should be willing and have the desire to go out there and be the number one, leading and taking charge.  There are some players there are better at it than others, but I wouldn't a goalie on my team, starter or backup, who didn't want to BE the starter, even if he is a 42yr old.   I'm not saying these stories and comments make me warm and fuzzy, but what I am saying is that I think it's just media fodder and people get wayyyy too worked up over this stuff that really means nothing, and I would much rather have a goalie that wants to play and is dying for playing time than a goalie who is melancholy and half-hearted, not caring whether we win or lose because he's at the end of his career and basically set every damn record there is. 

There's a big difference between wanting to play and crapping on the team when you're a huge part of the problem. Everyone on this team should want to play, when you're not playing well you shouldn't be pointing the fingers at others. It's a classic "you shouldn't throw stones when you live in a glass house" situation. Also, keep in mind, just a few weeks ago he was crapping on the team for not playing him enough. I can't even fathom what is going on in Marty's mind sometimes.

believe-devs.jpg

#54 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

There's a big difference between wanting to play and crapping on the team when you're a huge part of the problem. Everyone on this team should want to play, when you're not playing well you shouldn't be pointing the fingers at others. It's a classic "you shouldn't throw stones when you live in a glass house" situation. Also, keep in mind, just a few weeks ago he was crapping on the team for not playing him enough. I can't even fathom what is going on in Marty's mind sometimes.

All he said is that he wanted to play more and if wasn't going to be here, he would entertain playing elsewhere.  That might be a non-PC response to a reporters line of questioning, but how is that "crapping on the team?"

Posted Image

#55 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

Lou says the Devils do NOT accept mediocrity: http://blogs.northje...deboers_future/

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#56 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

“And it if means missing the playoffs to do certain things to win the Stanley Cup, that’s what it means. That’s mediocrity, just getting in the playoffs.”

#57 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

Lamoriello also disputed goaltender Martin Broduer’s suggestion Wednesday that the team has become content in recent seasons to just “hover” around .500 and then try to make a push to get in the playoffs.

“I can assure you .500 isn’t O.K. and I can assure you that it’s not acceptable, but words are cheap,” he said.

When I asked if he thought that the “hang around .500 and try to get in” mentality had pervaded his locker room at all, Lamoriello replied, ““I sure in hell hope not.”

I sure in hell hope not either Lou.

#58 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

The idea that this team is somehow way better but is content to lollygag around the bottom of the NHL standings is insane, and Brodeur's had the best seat in the house to watch the team quite a lot over the last 2 months, so he should know.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#59 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

That's more than you usually get out of Lou, I guess.

Lou's gotta get rid of Marty. 

Edited by Devilsfan118, 10 April 2014 - 11:50 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#60 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

At no point,today, in discussing the situation, did i read Lamoriello taking on any blame with the roster he built and the failure thereof. Now, that's not saying in a few days when it's over that Lou might point the finger at himself in some ways but i found today's quotes a bit disturbing. He came off sounding too much like a player or coach and not a GM. At no point today, whatsoever, did he take any ounce of responsibility. He was typical Lou, talking without saying a whole lot. 

At least Pete said he'd be the first one to look in the mirror to see what went wrong. 

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users