31 replies to this topic

#21 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

Give it a try first and see how it turns out. I for one am foaming at the mouth to see SJ LA. That is going to be awesome

#22 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,981 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

SJ-LA will be a freaking battle royal. I'm psyched for that series too DP.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#23 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

The realignment doesn't suck. The 2013-2014 New Jersey Devils suck.

#24 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

To be fair if we still had the same alignment we would be in the playoffs as it stands:

1)Bruins 114

2)Pens 107

3)Lightning 95

4)Habs 98

5)Rags 93

6)Flyers 91

7)Caps 85

8)Devils 84

9)Leafs 84

And we would have gotten our a$$es handed to us by Boston or whoever else we faced.....Devils sucked this year,case closed.

And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#25 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,540 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

This alignment had to be done.  I don't think many East Coasters understood the problem the old alignment was.  We had the luxury to play in the most travel friendly division.  Bottom line is, there are 16 teams that play in the Eastern Timezone.  That's why there are 16 teams in the Eastern Conference.

in the current system the Red Wings would have played have their schedule against Chi, St Louis, Nashville and Minnesota....breaks my heart to see such a "cumbersome" travel schedule...as an east team they go to the West Coast just as much as they would have staying in the Central and not pissed away the league's best rivalry, Columbus needed to move for geographic rival reasons...how come no one in Nashville is upset about the travel? (and aren't they closer to Fla and Washington anyway??) ...oh yeah, they're not the Red Wings....my bad

they very easily could have had 15 teams in each conference too, it's VERY rare the entire league plays on the same day so it's not that big of a scheduling deal

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#26 NJDfan1711

NJDfan1711

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

This alignment had to be done.  I don't think many East Coasters understood the problem the old alignment was.  We had the luxury to play in the most travel friendly division.  Bottom line is, there are 16 teams that play in the Eastern Timezone.  That's why there are 16 teams in the Eastern Conference.

I really, really REALLY hate this logic, which is why I also hate this re-alignment.   Geographically speaking, Detroit (and Columbus) may be in the Eastern part of the country if you were to draw a line right down the center, but the simple fact of the matter is, MOST teams (and this isn't just geared towards the NHL, but all 4 of the major North American sports) happened to be more Easterly-located.  There are more metropolitan areas on the East Coast than the West, and, when you divide up the NHL's 30 clubs in terms of the 16 most Easterly-located and the 16 most Westerly-located, Detroit and Columbus deserved to be in the West.  When Atlanta was still in the league, there were exactly 15 teams located further East than Detroit and Columbus.  When they moved to Winnipeg that created the imbalance, but nowhere near justifying this chaos if you ask me.

It is absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever seen to unbalance a previously well-balanced league and take 30 teams and divide it into 16 and 14.   On top of that, we have to live with this stupidity for 2 more seasons at the very least.  Some people may see the league expanding to 32 teams and Seattle being a good market, which may be true, but there's no reason to expand right now beyond 30 teams when you still have clubs like Florida, Phoenix and Carolina struggling to fill seats.

I still think my idea for a scheduling format like this is the way to go:

2 Conferences. 3 divisions in each. 5 teams in each division.

- You have 4 division opponents, so you play each of them 8 times. 4 home and 4 away. That's 32 games. *This part of the schedule focuses on building/maintaining rivalries within the division (i.e. NYR vs NYI, PHI vs PIT, PHO vs SJ, etc), which should appease the hockey "loyalists" and "purists" (of which I could partly be classified as one).
- You have 10 non-division conference opponents, so you play each of them 2 times. 1 home and 1 away. That's 20 games. *This part of the schedule focuses on ensuring that no team is left out from playing another, i.e. NJ vs FLA. Some may say it is not enough to play these teams only twice, but I think it stands reasonable that NJ vs FLA in the preceding example is not exactly a long standing traditional rivalry and frankly, I would be perfectly fine seeing the other inter-conference opponents only twice a year (again, 1 at home and 1 away I think gives fans of all teams a chance to see whatever team they might want to watch)
- Lastly, you have 15 non-conference opponents, so you play each of them 2 times as well. Again, 1 at home and 1 away. That's 30 games. Following the same premise as before, this is fair to the teams and to the fans in my opinion because it ensures each team sees every other team in the league, yet draws emphasis on rivalries that people most likely want to see. 

#27 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

I think hockey should be banned

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#28 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

The realignment doesn't suck. The 2013-2014 New Jersey Devils suck.

I'm not blaming the realignment for us not making the playoffs but I have hated it from the beginning.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#29 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

in the current system the Red Wings would have played have their schedule against Chi, St Louis, Nashville and Minnesota....breaks my heart to see such a "cumbersome" travel schedule...as an east team they go to the West Coast just as much as they would have staying in the Central and not pissed away the league's best rivalry, Columbus needed to move for geographic rival reasons...how come no one in Nashville is upset about the travel? (and aren't they closer to Fla and Washington anyway??) ...oh yeah, they're not the Red Wings....my bad

they very easily could have had 15 teams in each conference too, it's VERY rare the entire league plays on the same day so it's not that big of a scheduling deal

Time zone -- Nashville's central, not EST.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#30 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

it was pretty easy if they just swapped winnipeg to the west and we got Nashville OR Columbus. Done, out the door...but noooooo they had to make this monstrosity with two 8 team divisions and two 7 team divisions

:doh1: :doh1: :doh1: :doh1: :doh1: :doh1: :doh1:

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#31 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

SJ-LA will be a freaking battle royal. I'm psyched for that series too DP.

I hate this Devils roster so much they've just killed me wanting to watch anymore hockey. This is the first time in years i just don't have the enthusiasm to watch playoff hockey, and to an extent, other games this entire season. They just sucked the passion and interest right out knowing how mediocre and unskilled this collection of clowns really is.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#32 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:27 AM

And we would have gotten our a$$es handed to us by Boston or whoever else we faced.....Devils sucked this year,case closed.

I dont think there was any debate on that really, just pointing out that if we were using the old system the Devils would still be alive.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users