32 replies to this topic

#1 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,038 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

I thought this deserved its own thread. For one, obviously the league will have a new safety czar, so we can speculate who that may be... Two- I think Shanny may be getting in over his head here. It'll be ugly for him if it fails (and its the Leafs, so why wouldn't it?) http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448947

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#2 William D'Aquila

William D'Aquila

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

And he wants to hire Pete DeBoer!

#3 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

And he wants to hire Pete DeBoer!

Did you just make that up?

Anyway the Leafs will still be the Leafs and I hope they never win it all because it amuses me.

#4 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

Aaron Ward speculated he likes DeBoer.  I'd love to see Pete in Toronto for the lulz...if he thinks TG and Randy Miller are hard on him wait till he gets a load of the Toronto media.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#5 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

I'm not sure what the president of a hockey team does to be honest so I don't know what this means for the Leafs... But I was wondering (maybe hoping?) that Shanahan might be a replacement for Lou down the road. I guess his name is off that list.

I don't have any idea who will replace him, but I wonder how much authority he actually had in that position. It seemed like he was following someone else's playbook rather than actually making major decisions on how players should be disciplined. I'm only guessing that because the suspensions dolled out didn't change a whole lot when he took over for Campbell.

Posted Image

#6 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

Aaron Ward speculated he likes DeBoer.  I'd love to see Pete in Toronto for the lulz...if he thinks TG and Randy Miller are hard on him wait till he gets a load of the Toronto media.

I wouldn't want to see it because he would immediately make the Leafs a lot better. He'll learn to adapt to the media. At the very least he needs to be somewhat jovial like Maurice, Wilson and Carlyle are.

I thought this deserved its own thread. For one, obviously the league will have a new safety czar, so we can speculate who that may be... Two- I think Shanny may be getting in over his head here. It'll be ugly for him if it fails (and its the Leafs, so why wouldn't it?) http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448947

The thing is, Shanny can't do worse than JFJ, Burke or Nonis. He has lot to fix, but he can't fvck it up any worse.

Edited by devilsrule33, 10 April 2014 - 10:41 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#7 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

Somehow positions with the Leafs remain highly coveted. Somehow...

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#8 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

I bet Shanahan's pay just tripled. If Deboer is the one Shanny wants, his pay would double as well.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#9 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

I wouldn't want to see it because he would immediately make the Leafs a lot better. He'll learn to adapt to the media. At the very least he needs to be somewhat jovial like Maurice, Wilson and Carlyle are.

They'd chew him up and spit him out in five minutes when he pulls his Rich Kotite act saying we tried hard after every single loss.  But hey at least they'd get 20+ goals out of Clarkson so there's that.

It's like Notre Dame football...more of a glamour position than one of substance.

Edited by NJDevs26, 10 April 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#10 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

I bet Shanahan's pay just tripled. If Deboer is the one Shanny wants, his pay would double as well.

Fair enough but you'd think there'd have to be a point where people go "You know what, I'm not going to be the one to turn sh!t around over there, I better duck this one."

#11 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

Fair enough but you'd think there'd have to be a point where people go "You know what, I'm not going to be the one to turn sh!t around over there, I better duck this one."

I think I was too conservative. I really have no clue how much Shanny made with the league, but I bet his salary is over $4 million with the Leafs. Maybe a 10x raise.

#12 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

I think there's also a good chance he has heard from Yzerman how great of a gig it is to be a front office executive.

#13 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:04 AM

I think there's also a good chance he has heard from Yzerman how great of a gig it is to be a front office executive.

You mean the same Yzerman that just had to trade his 3rd best player because he didn't also take him for Team Canada?  Yeah I bet Yzerman loves being an exec.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#14 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:56 AM

You mean the same Yzerman that just had to trade his 3rd best player because he didn't also take him for Team Canada?  Yeah I bet Yzerman loves being an exec.

No, I am talking about the Yzerman who just signed a four year extension with the Lightning. That one.

#15 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,407 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:59 AM

If DeBoer goes there, and I hope he doesn't, then please take Brodeur with you. PDB starting Marty over Bernier would be a riot.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#16 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

Okay, I'm really going to be upset if DeBoer goes to Toronto.  We've had Sutter leave, Parise leave, Kovalchuk leave, Clarkson leave, and while some of these I'm more glad about than others, I'm tired of people just leaving.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#17 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,038 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

Did I not say I could see a Vancouver-Rangers style DeBoer-Carlyle swap happening? It looks like step 1 of that is a very realistic possibility.

#18 mfitz804

mfitz804

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

Personal opinion, nobody should ever leave a job where they are referred to as a "czar". 

#19 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,038 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

Okay, I'm really going to be upset if DeBoer goes to Toronto. We've had Sutter leave, Parise leave, Kovalchuk leave, Clarkson leave, and while some of these I'm more glad about than others, I'm tired of people just leaving.

I'm with you... Its gotten very tiresome.

#20 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

Being associated with Toronto is a no-win situation.   You are a savior until the season starts, then your just a moving target.

Shanny should enjoy the honeymoon, because after the first back-to-back loses he become public enemy #2 after whoever is the coach.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users