16 replies to this topic

#1 mfitz804

mfitz804

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

I do not think there is any question if he were still on the team, his 60 points wins us at least another 5 games, and we are in the playoffs.

I hate when people don't live up to the deals they makes thanks for nothing, Ilya, go Kovalfvck yourself.

#2 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

I think it's pretty undeniable that the Devils are much, much better off in the long run without him and that albatross of a contract.

That being said, I do miss him in a Devils sweater. He was an exciting player.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#3 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

I think it's pretty undeniable that the Devils are much, much better off in the long run without him and that albatross of a contract.

That being said, I do miss him in a Devils sweater. He was an exciting player.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah its a long term gain over a short term loss. Though just like the Devils getting their pick back I still think the next CBA would lessen or do away with the cap recapture. Mind you this is based on nothing but still.

#4 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

Kovy = No Jagr... I would bet at least

#5 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

I am so not in the mood for this discussion.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#6 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

I do dream of a PP with Jagr and Kovy on it....lethal.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#7 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,722 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

Kovy = No Jagr... I would bet at least

Pretty much...and at the rate it's going in a year or two we'll be glad Kovy isn't here.  He's breaking down and didn't have all that great a year in Russia.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#8 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:59 PM

I do not think there is any question if he were still on the team, his 60 points wins us at least another 5 games, and we are in the playoffs.

I hate when people don't live up to the deals they makes thanks for nothing, Ilya, go Kovalfvck yourself.

There is no way that Kovalchuk was worth 5 wins a year.  He wasn't very good in Russia this year and he ended the year hurt again.  Plus his salary was $11M, so if you think NJ was budget conscious this year, take 3 players the Devils signed in the offseason and throw them off the team.  It can be any 3, but you have to take 3 off.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#9 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

A healthy younger Kovalchuk maybe but I would rather have a 42 year old Jagr over this year versions of Kovalchuk. Who the hell would have thought that a few seasons ago!

believe-zubrus.jpg

#10 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:11 AM

At least Kovy can score in the shootouts  :ninja:

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#11 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:19 AM

Not a chance dude.  You can go back and look at what Kovy used to be, but its not like he tore it up in Russia this year, he very well could be almost done with his hockey career.  He needs to take the KHL offseason and get as healthy as possible and be able to stay healthy throughout a season.

A quitter such as Kovalchuk is not worth your time.  Or to be honest, your memory.

Edited by RizzMB30, 11 April 2014 - 03:20 AM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#12 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:57 AM

Whose 60 points do you take away? Because, like Tri said, you're not just adding on top considering salary and ice time.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#13 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

All hypothetical of course, but I think if Kovy had stayed, the team would not only have been a little worse record-wise, but I think we would've been bitching about Kovy's lack of production all season long.  I think he would've had a year similar to 2010-11...slightly better defensively and slightly worse offensively, but somewhere in that neighborhood.  I also think there would've been a lot of "Jesus Christ, I can't believe we have to deal with 10+ years of this crap!  Take out 2012, and this guy has been pretty disappointing...man, he's looking more and more like a shell of what he used to be...and he's becoming injury-prone..." etc.

And I think Kovy knew it would go this way too.  Moving to the KHL made sense for him on all levels...he still gets paid a lot of coin, he's the hometown boy who spurned the NHL to play in his country, and he only has to play in 52 regular season games against lesser competition, where it will be a lot easier to look good (and he wound up NOT looking good). 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#14 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

There is no way that Kovalchuk was worth 5 wins a year.  He wasn't very good in Russia this year and he ended the year hurt again.  Plus his salary was $11M, so if you think NJ was budget conscious this year, take 3 players the Devils signed in the offseason and throw them off the team.  It can be any 3, but you have to take 3 off.

So what you're saying is no Clowe, no Ryder, and no Brunner? 

In hindsight that looks amazing... lol. I'm just kidding with you, but we busted on all 3 of these signings too. Too bad Clowe is so injury prone, bc he makes great plays for a guy that size.

Put food on my family

#15 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

Losing Kovy sucked, but I think Jagr pretty much matched the production that Kovy would have this year, so really that was a wash.

There are just so many things wrong with the team that it is hard to pin them on a single player leaving or coming.  However, I do not think any of them are huge, glaring issues so there is hope.

#16 mfitz804

mfitz804

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

I don't think having Kovy would have necessarily meant no Jagr. But I can't help but think he could have pushed us over the edge. 

And I am not saying the contract was worth 5 extra wins a year. But he was already here. In the long term, yeah having that contract off the books will be great. 

Plus I just like the phrase "Kovalfvck". 

Edited by mfitz804, 11 April 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#17 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

i miss having him on this team a lot.. he was fun to watch and have on our side.. would definently have a spot if he was still here i bet
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users