237 replies to this topic

#181 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

If Cory ever got hurt for an extended period, deal with it then.

I'm relieved that the #30 era in NJ is officially over.   It was an amazing 20-year run, but now it's Cory-Time !

Don't speak too soon.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#182 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

They're hoping Kinkaid wins the job.  Clemmer (I hope) was signed to be the #3 guy, a veteran with NHL experience who can step in if Kinkaid gets hurt or doesn't get it done.  I just can't believe he's the clear #2.   

Cory's definitely not threatened now...he's going to get 65+ games for sure with who he's got behind him.  But it's REALLY scary to think what could happen if he ever got hurt.  A tandem of Clemmer and Kinkaid?  Yikes, yikes, and yikes.

You can always trade for a guy midseason if you have to, goalies will be floating around all over the place.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#183 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

You can always trade for a guy midseason if you have to, goalies will be floating around all over the place.

And Lou will if the unthinkable happens.  Of course, if #30 is unsigned, I wouldn't be surprised if Lou went that route.  But clearly the idea is that Kinkaid, Clemmer or some combo of them do a passable job backing up, and Cory does what we all think he can do as a 60-70 game NHL starter. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#184 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

Yep, Lou is hoping Kinkaid is ready.  Clemmer is a veteran depth signing:

http://www.nj.com/de...00000_deal.html

The Martin Brodeur era is officially over in New Jersey.

The Devils have signed Scott Clemmensen to a one-year, two-way contract that will likely see him play in Albany (AHL) this season, but gives the team insurance in goal.

"It will be a situation where it is a two-way contract. We hope Keith Kinkaid can be the backup goaltender (to Cory Schneider)," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "Scott knows the whole situation and he understands. We have confidence in Scott that if he had to play here he could."

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#185 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,734 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

Glad to see they think high enough of Kinkaid to sign a guy like Clemmensen, but Brodeur isn't gone until he signs with someone else.  Every other goalie on NJ has a two-way so Brodeur easily slides right back in if he wants to.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#186 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Glad to see they think high enough of Kinkaid to sign a guy like Clemmensen, but Brodeur isn't gone until he signs with someone else.  Every other goalie on NJ has a two-way so Brodeur easily slides right back in if he wants to.

Agree.  If Clemmer and Kinkaid both look bad in preseason and the early regular season, and Marty is out there, I can't see Lou not kicking the tires. 

Let's face it, there's serious potential for the backup performance to be worse than what Marty provided last season...it won't be for nearly as many games of course, but it could be as bad as NHL goaltending gets.

#30 FOREVER!

#187 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

You stop it right now, just let me relax for once Tri :lol:

Seriously, this signing had me all but convinced Marty was officially gone.  

But then you had to come along...

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#188 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

"It will be a situation where its a two-way contract. We hope Keith Kinkaid can be the backup goaltender" general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "Scott knows the situation and he understands. We have confidence in Scott that if he had to play here, he could."

Can we end the paranoia now?

Edited by MadDog2020, 01 July 2014 - 04:37 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#189 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,734 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

"It will be a situation where its a two-way contract. We hope Keith Kinkaid can be the backup goaltender" general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "Scott knows the situation and he understands. We have confidence in Scott that if he had to play here, he could."

No, because of course Lou isn't going to say that he still wants Brodeur back.  It's not likely, but notice how a bunch of teams signed goalies today and Brodeur wasn't one of them?

#190 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

I think the Devils wait on announcing an extension for Schneids until September for marketing reasons.

#191 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

Nabokov signs with TB. Let's hope reality comes knocking shortly for Brodeur

at_midnight_1148.jpg

#192 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

No, because of course Lou isn't going to say that he still wants Brodeur back.  It's not likely, but notice how a bunch of teams signed goalies today and Brodeur wasn't one of them?

Yes I noticed it. Toronto could still be a possibility I guess. OR maybe Marty will wait for an injury and sign with someone then. 

Nabokov signs with TB. Let's hope reality comes knocking shortly for Brodeur

I think Toronto is the only team left, and they still have to deal Reimer.

#193 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

"It will be a situation where its a two-way contract. We hope Keith Kinkaid can be the backup goaltender" general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "Scott knows the situation and he understands. We have confidence in Scott that if he had to play here, if he could."

I posted those quotes too.

I'd say the chances of Brodeur coming back are around 10% until he gets signed.  Low, but not 0%. 

#30 FOREVER!

#194 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

I posted those quotes too.

I'd say the chances of Brodeur coming back are around 10% until he gets signed.  Low, but not 0%. 

Lou will look like a fvcking moron if he signs Marty now after saying he wants Kinkaid to be the back-up.

#195 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Either this team is stuck on stupid, doesn't care, trolling for the lolz or all of the above. I don't care what the excuse is. You don't sign a backup worse than Marty and a former Devil at that. At a time when we missed the playoffs 3/4 years. No one else was available?

Edited by Marv4Life, 01 July 2014 - 05:09 PM.

#196 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

Either this team is stuck on stupid, doesn't care, trolling for the lolz or all of the above. I don't care what the excuse is. You don't sign a backup worse than Marty and a former Devil at that. At a time when we missed the playoffs 3/4 years. No one else was available?

Are you seriously upset about a minor league signing?

#197 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

Are you seriously upset about a minor league signing?

Better hope Corey isn't out for an extended period. The Gionta signing didn't help my mood.

#198 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,734 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Better hope Corey isn't out for an extended period. The Gionta signing didn't help my mood.

Why would a backup goalie sign here?  I mean, I'd like someone like Nabokov, but the Devils clearly have the intention of using Schneider for 65+ games.  Plus Brodeur carried the team in November and he can carry them again, if he re-signs here.  I wouldn't want to spend more than $1M on a backup.

Edited by Triumph, 01 July 2014 - 05:38 PM.

#199 Bobby Perham

Bobby Perham

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

Montoya? I'm not sure how I feel about Kinkaid being the backup yet...

Edit : Just saw he went to Fla. sorry.

Edited by Bobby Perham, 01 July 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#200 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

Clemmer is back!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users