237 replies to this topic

#221 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Hokum.  Clemmensen got lucky during that stretch to be sure, but he also played very well.  He did not 'have a pretty easy stretch of hockey'.  And he definitely saved that season.

He didn't save the team. The Devils were playing dominant hockey, and Clemmensen had a pretty easy stretch of hockey. He didn't sh!t the bed, but the Devils team defense didn't give him much of a chance to. They were that good.

Anyway, that was 6 years ago. The dude has put up back-to-back sub .900 seasons. He actually made Brodeur of last year look very strong.

I'm going to call bullsh!t.  What if Clemmer started dropping games like Hedberg did in 2011.  People blame Hedberg for that sh!t and I agree.  As a backup goalie, Hedberg totally sh!t the bed.  If Clemmenson dropped 10 or 20 games, that amazing team that got bounced in the first round wouldn't have even been there.  Clemmenson had a really good stretch.  Luck or not, it saved that season.  If Hedberg comes in and does that same job in 2011, that could have been a playoff team as well.  You have to be able to rely on a guy like that if your starter gets hurt.  You quote his last two seasons on a pretty bad Florida team, but ignore his over .911 sv% seasons in 2011 and 2012 behind Vokoun.  And Vokoun wasn't exactly the Rolls-Royce of health those two years if Clemmer played 30 games in both of those seasons. 

EDIT:  Just to add, I always felt that Weekes wasn't any good.  I felt the same way with him then that I felt with Marty this season.  Just not a very calming effect when he's in between the pipes. 

Edited by RizzMB30, 02 July 2014 - 05:29 PM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#222 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,015 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

I'm going to call bullsh!t.  What if Clemmer started dropping games like Hedberg did in 2011.  People blame Hedberg for that sh!t and I agree.  As a backup goalie, Hedberg totally sh!t the bed.  If Clemmenson dropped 10 or 20 games, that amazing team that got bounced in the first round wouldn't have even been there.  Clemmenson had a really good stretch.  Luck or not, it saved that season.  If Hedberg comes in and does that same job in 2011, that could have been a playoff team as well.  You have to be able to rely on a guy like that if your starter gets hurt.  You quote his last two seasons on a pretty bad Florida team, but ignore his over .911 sv% seasons in 2011 and 2012 behind Vokoun.  And Vokoun wasn't exactly the Rolls-Royce of health those two years if Clemmer played 30 games in both of those seasons. 

EDIT:  Just to add, I always felt that Weekes wasn't any good.  I felt the same way with him then that I felt with Marty this season.  Just not a very calming effect when he's in between the pipes. 

That's fine. I have my opinions about 2009 and others have different ones. If you were around in 2009, the board was a little divided on the Weekes/Clemmensen goalie situation. Anyway, its irrelevant now, so I won't divulge deeper into it. Btw, I have no clue what you are talking about with Hedberg in 2011 or 2012. Hedberg was very good in 2011 and excellent in 2012. His play while Brodeur shat the bed at the start of the '12 season was pretty huge for a team that didn't make the playoffs by much.

I am not ignoring '11 or '12. It's just long gone. It's not even worth bringing up. Clemmensen is 36, which for many goalies can be a very large number. His last two years, he was maybe the worst goalie in the NHL. If he was 10 years younger, I might think less of it (probably not since anyone who puts up numbers like that during this era is not very good), but he's old. And most likely will continue to not be very good.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#223 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

That's fine. I have my opinions about 2009 and others have different ones. If you were around in 2009, the board was a little divided on the Weekes/Clemmensen goalie situation. Anyway, its irrelevant now, so I won't divulge deeper into it. Btw, I have no clue what you are talking about with Hedberg in 2011 or 2012. Hedberg was very good in 2011 and excellent in 2012. His play while Brodeur shat the bed at the start of the '12 season was pretty huge for a team that didn't make the playoffs by much.

I am not ignoring '11 or '12. It's just long gone. It's not even worth bringing up. Clemmensen is 36, which for many goalies can be a very large number. His last two years, he was maybe the worst goalie in the NHL. If he was 10 years younger, I might think less of it (probably not since anyone who puts up numbers like that during this era is not very good), but he's old. And most likely will continue to not be very good.

Okay, fair enough.  I was talking about the stretch when Brodeur and Kovy were hurt.  Hedberg was great in every other instance, including in the locker room.  It was just that one period when we really needed him.  It was the lockout season I believe.  2012-2013.  It was his last season here for a reason.  I mean an 88.3% is worse than Brodeur was this year. 

2011/12 New Jersey Devils NHL 27 1.591 17 7 – 2 4 59 91,8 2,23
2012/13 New Jersey Devils NHL 19 1.108 6 10 – 3 1 51 88,3 2,76

I felt its worth bringing up due to the correlation between the 2 situations where a solid backup who can post a .91 sv% was entirely needed.  Everything should be relevant after the playoffs are missed due to things like this. 

Edited by RizzMB30, 02 July 2014 - 06:03 PM.

#224 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,015 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

Okay, fair enough.  I was talking about the stretch when Brodeur and Kovy were hurt.  Hedberg was great in every other instance, including in the locker room.  It was just that one period when we really needed him.  It was the lockout season I believe.  2012-2013.  It was his last season here for a reason.  I mean an 88.3% is worse than Brodeur was this year. 

2011/12 New Jersey Devils NHL 27 1.591 17 7 – 2 4 59 91,8 2,23
2012/13 New Jersey Devils NHL 19 1.108 6 10 – 3 1 51 88,3 2,76

I felt its worth bringing up due to the correlation between the 2 situations where a solid backup who can post a .91 sv% was entirely needed.  Everything should be relevant after the playoffs are missed due to things like this. 

Alright, well you said 2011. I guess you meant 2013. Hedberg was awful that season. But really no comparison between the Devils of 2009 and 2013. Even if you had the best goalie, that team could not score at all. The 2009 team was really damn good team. Unfortunate 1st round exit...they might have been the best team to be knocked out in the 1st round in a very long time.

Also, the difference between Hedberg and Clemmensen in 2013 is just a wonderful reason why GAA is such a useless stat for goalies. Similar save percentage and look at the GAA difference.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#225 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

Alright, well you said 2011. I guess you meant 2013. Hedberg was awful that season. But really no comparison between the Devils of 2009 and 2013. Even if you had the best goalie, that team could not score at all. The 2009 team was really damn good team. Unfortunate 1st round exit...they might have been the best team to be knocked out in the 1st round in a very long time.

Also, the difference between Hedberg and Clemmensen in 2013 is just a wonderful reason why GAA is such a useless stat for goalies. Similar save percentage and look at the GAA difference.

Yeah, my mistake.  I was thinking 2013.  I just remember that Moose was great until that year.  I loved the '09 team as well.  That first round exit was the one of the roughest of my fandom.  It was a rough day after for that one.  It's one of those things that you don't talk about as a Devils fan. 

#226 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

Anyone worried about Pete's friction with Clemmer?

#227 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,015 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

Clemmensen may not make the team. He understands that he is fighting for a chance to be a backup for 15 games. Even if there was all the friction in the world...it's with a backup. Not something to be worried about.

There's probably friction with Deboer and a number of guys who don't play often on the roster. The key for Pete is he has a really good relationship with all the leaders and best players on the team (Elias, Jagr, Zajac, Greene, Salvador, Zubrus, Henrique). If any of the young players have issues, they know to keep it to themselves.

logokx.jpg

#228 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,385 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

You can really draw three conclusions from Lou signing Clemmer:

1) He believes in Kinkaid enough to gamble on him. Lou would've paid a little more to get someone better/more established otherwise.

2) Tri brings up a great point...Clemmer is a perfect warm body kind of player. If KInkaid needs some AHL games to stay fresh in between NHL starts, Scott can ride the pine as the NHL backup. In Lou's perfect Plan A, Clemmer gets minimal playing time this season...some AHL starts and NHL relief appearances. He was brought here more for roster flexibility than anything else, and with the way he's played the last couple of seasons, even if he probably won't be thrilled about how he's ultimately used, he won't be in any position to complain about it.

3) Cory's getting close to 70 starts, maybe more. Lou may think Kinkaid is good for 12 starts or so, but probably not 20+. Great for Cory...he more than deserves this.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#229 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

Negative three thousand percent. Non-issue. 

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#230 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

You can really draw three conclusions from Lou signing Clemmer:

1) He believes in Kinkaid enough to gamble on him. Lou would've paid a little more to get someone better/more established otherwise.

This, 100%. I thought Lou'd go out and get a bit more high caliber backup goaltender. But he didn't, he got Clemmer and can't help but think it's purely insurance like he said, for depth reasons. Kinkaid should feel really good about this signing by Lou.

#231 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

So I guess Scott Clemmensen is our new Peter Sidorkiewicz.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#232 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

I really hope Marty signs with another team sooner rather than later as the longer this drags out, the louder the Marty fanboys are getting.  Someone on FB (I know yes it's the peanut gallery of this fanbase) suggested that Marty is worth $2-4million as a backup or co-starter somewhere, even on the Devils.

In short, I just want this to end.

#233 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

I really hope Marty signs with another team sooner rather than later as the longer this drags out, the louder the Marty fanboys are getting.  Someone on FB (I know yes it's the peanut gallery of this fanbase) suggested that Marty is worth $2-4million as a backup or co-starter somewhere, even on the Devils.

I don't think it's likely to end.  Brodeur has certain jobs in mind, and those aren't available.  He'll probably have to wait for an injury.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#234 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

I really hope Marty signs with another team sooner rather than later as the longer this drags out, the louder the Marty fanboys are getting. Someone on FB (I know yes it's the peanut gallery of this fanbase) suggested that Marty is worth $2-4million as a backup or co-starter somewhere, even on the Devils.

I just want him to retire. I hope no one signs him and its the end for him. Unfortunately he would just be a problem on this team with Schneider here.

#235 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

Marty isn't going to retire. He's going to wait for an injury. This will drag into training camp at the very least, I have no doubt.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#236 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

Marty isn't going to retire. He's going to wait for an injury. This will drag into training camp at the very least, I have no doubt.

I guess Marty could be going with this strategy, but I don't know, he'd have to be banking on that if there is an injury, he will be the guy the team looks to sign.

#237 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

I guess Marty could be going with this strategy, but I don't know, he'd have to be banking on that if there is an injury, he will be the guy the team looks to sign.

Marty's ego probably has him convinced he'd be the only decent option. Who else is out there besides Tim Thomas? It looks like all of the younger, cheaper back-up options have signed somewhere. Of course just as I posted this, I remember Bryz is still out there.

Edited by MadDog2020, 04 July 2014 - 10:48 AM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#238 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

Marty's ego probably has him convinced he'd be the only decent option. Who else is out there besides Tim Thomas? It looks like all of the younger, cheaper back-up options have signed somewhere. Of course just as I posted this, I remember Bryz is still out there.

I suppose Vokoun, Thomas, Bryz are indeed the only UFAs but given injuries teams may look to trade too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users