237 replies to this topic

#21 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

With Lou "Age is just a Number" Lamoriello pulling the strings, don't be a bit surprised if they invite Khäbibulin for a camp tryout.

I don't see a lot of resources being put into the back-up role for the Devils heading into next season.. especially if they give Cory a big contract. I think Lou would invite a veteran goalie, couple that with KK & Wedge, and let the cream rise to the top during training camp and exhibition.

Hopefully he can be our starter when Cory bolts on 7/1/15

..the only way Cory dips is if Brodeur returns. There's a high probability that the Devils keep Schneidz long-term.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#22 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

With Lou "Age is just a Number" Lamoriello pulling the strings, don't be a bit surprised if they invite Khäbibulin for a camp tryout.

I don't see a lot of resources being put into the back-up role for the Devils heading into next season.. especially if they give Cory a big contract. I think Lou would invite a veteran goalie, couple that with KK & Wedge, and let the cream rise to the top during training camp and exhibition.

..the only way Cory dips is if Brodeur returns. There's a high probability that the Devils keep Schneidz long-term.

Even with Marty gone (which seems to be 99.99% at this point), what makes you think Schneider would want to sign long term here?

The team was atrocious this season, and I am sure he is upset with the carousel he had to endure.  I think him starting 60-65 games next year would erase the sour taste a bit, but c'mon...he will have his choice of several different teams with similar financial$.....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#23 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,823 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

Please not Al Montoya

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#24 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

hahaha.. add my name to the hat then too! :thumbsup:

You can be my back-up, but none of this "I wanna be the primary backup" stuff. Don't be a diva, just be happy you're on the team. 

#25 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

Kinkaid.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#26 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Gustavfsson is injury prone.  Johnson plays behind the best group of defensemen in the NHL.

For a backup role I would actually give Montoya a shot or Lindback.  But like with any back-up goalie the price has to be right.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#27 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

I think Lindback would be a good choice. 

#28 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

Even with Marty gone (which seems to be 99.99% at this point), what makes you think Schneider would want to sign long term here?

The team was atrocious this season, and I am sure he is upset with the carousel he had to endure.  I think him starting 60-65 games next year would erase the sour taste a bit, but c'mon...he will have his choice of several different teams with similar financial$.....

He'd stay because he'd be the guaranteed number one, the Devils can offer him an 8th year that no one else can, they can afford to pay him very well, and he won't be getting any closer to Boston geographically. He also may be very interested in signing long term and not having to deal with controversy or a new city again.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#29 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

Please not Al Montoya

He has outplayed Pavelec this year. Montoya is 13-8-3 with a .920 save pct. and a 2.30 GAA. Compare that to Pavelec's 22-26-7 with a .901 save pct. and a 3.01 GAA.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#30 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

He has outplayed Pavelec this year. Montoya is 13-8-3 with a .920 save pct. and a 2.30 GAA. Compare that to Pavelec's 22-26-7 with a .901 save pct. and a 3.01 GAA.

Agreed.  A year ago he outplayed Nabokov as well.   He is competitive and is not going to cause strife asking for #1 money.  He knows his role, while the kids can develop in Albany.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#31 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

Bryzgalov.

I think I'm only half-kidding, and his family still lives in south jersey anyways.

But yeah I think it's pretty important to get a decent backup who they can count on for 25 games and not be terrified of if Schneider goes down with an injury (so not Kinkaid just yet, though I would like to see Wedgewood take the reins full-time in Albany and see what he can do).

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#32 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,222 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

I'd take Montoya or Bryz, but I think Bryz is getting a starter's job if he has a good playoffs.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#33 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

Bryz is used to a big paycheck.   He isn't going to come here as a back-up.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#34 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

I'd take Montoya or Bryz, but I think Bryz is getting a starter's job if he has a good playoffs.

With how he has played for the Wild, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a starting job again. 7-0-3 .923 1.78 GAA and 3 shutouts.

#35 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

I'd take Bryz for sure.

#36 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

Bump. 

I believe these are still the guys available who might be worth a look (though Giguere is reportedly going to retire):

Keith Kinkaid - Albany
Chad Johnson - UFA (the Bruins give any goalie a boost but he's been really solid)
Giguere - UFA
Viktor Fasth - 1 year left (trade possibility)
Jhonas Enroth - 1 year left (but there's an overflow of goalies in Buffalo)
Thomas Greiss - UFA
Joey MacDonald - UFA (not an exciting choice)
Al Montoya - UFA
Justin Peters - UFA
Curtis McElhinney - UFA
Darcy Kuemper - RFA  (but there's an overflow of goalies in Minnesota)
Jonas Gustavsson - UFA

Edited by Neb00rs, 15 June 2014 - 10:55 PM.

#37 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:34 PM

I have a feeling Lou will go for Scott clemensen

#38 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:24 AM

I looked at the Marcel projections from Hockey-Graphs and took out what goalies I could from CapGeek's UFA list (not all goalies had Marcel projections). Taking out guys like Miller (starter) and Giguere (retiring), here how Marcel sees some of the backups going forward. Note:

The below are projecting performance over the next three years. You’ll apply less of an aging adjustment (and slightly different weights) for one year projections.

1. Thomas Greiss (.9118), 2. Al Montoya (.9087), 3. Justin Peters (.9085), 4. Jonas Hiller (.9075), 5. Devan Dubnyk (.9069), 6. Tim Thomas (.906), 7. Ray Emery (.905), 8. Ilya Bryzgalov (.9043), 9. Jonas Gustavsson (.9035), 10. Evegeni Nabokov (.9009), 11. Martin Brodeur (.8958). NHL AVG SV% is roughly around .912-.914.

I wouldn't mind Greiss who is coming off a decent year with Phoenix (.920, 93 GA%-, +3.94 GSAA) and has been decent in limited action in the years prior. He's coming off of a $750k deal. Montoya is another guy I'd have interest in. Had a decent year (.920, 93 GA%-, +4.50 GSAA) with Winnipeg. Hardly played in the NHL in 2012-13, had a bad 2011-12, decent 2010-11. He's coming off a $601k deal so he should be cheap.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#39 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

there's plenty available, I think that's the last thing Lou will do this summer, in fact he might give Kinkaid a shot and if he doesn't look NHL ready/able he'll make a move during the season

he's gonna wait till all his forwards and D are signed and see how much he can spend on a backup

Edited by The 29th Pick, 16 June 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#40 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

Cory and Kinkaid for next season.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users