237 replies to this topic

#41 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

People seem to think Kincaid is ready. Might as well give him a shot.

I'm sure there will be backup goalies available in free agency well into the start of the season if he doesn't work out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Devilsfan118, 16 June 2014 - 08:08 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#42 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

Shouldn't you be one of the top AHL goalies in SV% before you move on to the NHL? I'm not really sure how it works, but I'd imagine we'd want Kinkaid to be a top 10 AHL goalie before he's ready to back up Cory.

My guess is Lou goes with someone like Montoya. Not sure how I'd feel if Kinkaid became our number one goaltender if Cory got injured.

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

People seem to think Kincaid is ready. Might as well give him a shot.

I'm sure there will be backup goalies available in free agency well into the start of the season if he doesn't work out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Kinkaid has one more year of waiver ineligibility and his SV% in Albany doesn't scream 'ready' - I'd rather get a veteran backup for one year then make a decision on Kinkaid.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#44 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

im getting confused between kincaid and wedgewood, one i saw gave up 3 and was awesome and the other gave up one and was day dreaming

montoya would be good

Posted Image

#45 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

im getting confused between kincaid and wedgewood, one i saw gave up 3 and was awesome and the other gave up one and was day dreaming
montoya would be good

yea wasn't it Kinkaid who made his first nhl save on a breakaway? I actually think it was on Stamkos too

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#46 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

yea wasn't it Kinkaid who made his first nhl save on a breakaway? I actually think it was on Stamkos too

I don't remember if that was his first save, but that was him that played in that game. I remember the Stamkos breakaway. He looked shaky in that game despite only getting scored on once.

Here's a video of the save:

Edited by ATLL765, 16 June 2014 - 11:43 PM.

#47 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:19 AM

I think the days of a goalie playing 70 games are over. You need a backup who can play. Since we aren't sure if KK is ready, get a veteran in here who can handle a small workload. Injuries happen, KK will be brought up and then he can prove himself.

#48 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:36 AM

Kinkaid has one more year of waiver ineligibility and his SV% in Albany doesn't scream 'ready' - I'd rather get a veteran backup for one year then make a decision on Kinkaid.

I think how Lou handles this will speak volumes as to what he thinks of Kinkaid's NHL future.  He made it clear when he dealt a 1st-rounder for Cory that he didn't think Kinkaid or Wedge were the answers, as far as the Devils' #1 goalie of the future goes.  If he goes out and gets a backup and signs him to more than one season, then you can probably write off Kinkaid having any future here with the big club (barring injuries to Cory or his backup).  If Lou signs a backup to one season, I'm guessing he wants to see what both Kinkaid and Wedge do with Albany.  If one or both succeed, then maybe they get a shot in 2015-2016.  The more I think about it, the more I hope that Lou goes out and signs a backup, because if Kinkaid got his chance this season and faltered, and Marty was still available...well, you know...

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#49 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,140 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:58 AM

I think how Lou handles this will speak volumes as to what he thinks of Kinkaid's NHL future.  He made it clear when he dealt a 1st-rounder for Cory that he didn't think Kinkaid or Wedge were the answers, as far as the Devils' #1 goalie of the future goes.  If he goes out and gets a backup and signs him to more than one season, then you can probably write off Kinkaid having any future here with the big club (barring injuries to Cory or his backup).  If Lou signs a backup to one season, I'm guessing he wants to see what both Kinkaid and Wedge do with Albany.  If one or both succeed, then maybe they get a shot in 2015-2016.  The more I think about it, the more I hope that Lou goes out and signs a backup, because if Kinkaid got his chance this season and faltered, and Marty was still available...well, you know...

I think you are over-thinking it a bit. The Schneider trade was a must deal. Even if you think Kinkaid or Wedgewood could be something and have an NHL future, how long can you wait for them to be ready with Brodeur getting older and injured a lot.

Even if Lou gets a vet backup (I think it's almost a lock he does), it doesn't mean Kinkaid's career is over with the Devils. It's up to him to be really good at the AHL level this season. He was for a bit last season, and then his numbers dropped off. He gives a .920+ sabe percentage season, and there definitely could be a spot for him behind someone (please let it be Cory).

Edited by devilsrule33, 17 June 2014 - 07:18 AM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#50 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

Lou could go get a legit NHL starter with a good contract for an 8th overall pick. That's a deal you make any day, almost regardless of what you have in the cupboard at that position. Even if Kinkaid or Wedgewood would somehow super-develop into ready starters this or next year it means you have assets you can deal to recoup some of what you gave up for Schneider...or you have depth at a key position and don't have to overplay Schneider (which is key considering all the b2b games NJ plays).

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#51 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

how about guillermo ochoa ok no

Posted Image

#52 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Posted this in another thread, BUT I'd love for Lou to take a chance on this guy.  He hasn't been able to put together a good season since playing on the Predators, but I think he's been very much victimized by the teams he's played behind.  He got manhandled in Tampa due to that teams abysmal defense through the majority of this past season.  However he played okay in front of Nashville, a defense first team.  So I'd love to see him in a Devils jersey for a season to see how he does.  Who knows, maybe he'll have a great season behind Cory and then we have an actual asset to trade. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#53 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

didnt Marty have an under 900 save % in the AHL?

some goalies make the jump to the NHL and run with it regardless of their performance down in the minors

I personally would rather have a veteran as a backup but we'll see

Edited by The 29th Pick, 23 June 2014 - 08:39 PM.

#54 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

some goalies make the jump to the NHL and run with it regardless of their performane down in the minors

4.03 GAA and an .884 save% in 32 GP in '92-'93.  Game was different then, and that Utica team gave up a lot of goals (354 in 80 games). 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#55 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

some goalies make the jump to the NHL and run with it regardless of their performane down in the minors

Name me one other goalie that did this.  Yeah, a goalie's best NHL years will trump his best AHL years, almost always.  But there aren't many guys who manage this - most are really good in the AHL or in European pro leagues and become good in the NHL.

Edited by Triumph, 23 June 2014 - 06:55 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#56 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

If Anders Lindback isn't qualified i'd love him as a backup, really liked him ever since his Nashville days

25smul5.png

#57 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

I'd rather pass on Lindback. He was a fine back up his 2 years in Nashville (.914 SV%) but his play has really fallen off in Tampa (.897 SV%). He faced almost the same shots against per 60 on both teams too.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#58 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

I'd rather pass on Lindback. He was a fine back up his 2 years in Nashville (.914 SV%) but his play has really fallen off in Tampa (.897 SV%). He faced almost the same shots against per 60 on both teams too.

I'd be inclined to agree however, unless you're Marc Denis, our system tends to help goalies.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#59 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

I'd pass on Lindback. I've never seem such a big goalie play so small and his positioning is terrible. Plus he has a weird habit with his glove hand, it's hard to explain but he has a very strange way of catching pucks and he often whiffs on them.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#60 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

Name me one other goalie that did this.  Yeah, a goalie's best NHL years will trump his best AHL years, almost always.  But there aren't many guys who manage this - most are really good in the AHL or in European pro leagues and become good in the NHL.

Terry Sawchuk

theres a bunch of them, Roy didnt have great numbers when Montreal called him up, Ed Belfour too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users