237 replies to this topic

#61 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

didnt Marty have an under 900 save % in the AHL?

some goalies make the jump to the NHL and run with it regardless of their performane down in the minors

I personally would rather have a veteran as a backup but we'll see

The AHL's league average SV% seems to be a bit below NHL SV% every year. In 92-93 Brodeur put up a .884 SV% in the AHL with the NHL average SV% being .885. So Brodeur was probably just above average or around it for the AHL. As others said before, completely different game then.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#62 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

The AHL's league average SV% seems to be a bit below NHL SV% every year. In 92-93 Brodeur put up a .884 SV% in the AHL with the NHL average SV% being .885. So Brodeur was probably just above average or around it for the AHL. As others said before, completely different game then.

what is that supposed to mean?

#63 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

I'm wondering what Chad Johnson will cost, now that the Bruins have all but guaranteed his departure from Boston. I think he'd make the best backup. If not him, I also rather like Thomas Greiss as well.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#64 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

It means Marty's numbers probably were pretty good since save percentage in general was so much lower back then.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#65 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

You can't compare Brodeur having a sub .900 SV% in the AHL in the early 90's to a goalie prospect today (like Wedgewood for example) that puts up a sub .900 SV% in the AHL. When Brodeur was in the AHL, the league average SV% was a lot lower than it was today. The average AHL SV% was probably around .882-.883. This past season the average SV% in the AHL was about .913. Brodeur probably broke even in Goals Saved Above Average in his AHL season with that SV% while Wedgewood (for example) cost his team an extra 8-9 goals compared to the average AHL G.

The sport has changed so much from the high scoring times of the 80's and early 90's to the dead puck era to the post 2005 lockout era. Check out the effects on the average NHL SV% in this graph from QuantHockey.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#66 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

In addition the butterfly style wasn't as widely used back then and goaltenders didn't wear padding like they were going to a SWAT situation.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#67 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

You can't compare Brodeur having a sub .900 SV% in the AHL in the early 90's to a goalie prospect today (like Wedgewood for example) that puts up a sub .900 SV% in the AHL. When Brodeur was in the AHL, the league average SV% was a lot lower than it was today. The average AHL SV% was probably around .882-.883. This past season the average SV% in the AHL was about .913. Brodeur probably broke even in Goals Saved Above Average in his AHL season with that SV% while Wedgewood (for example) cost his team an extra 8-9 goals compared to the average AHL G.

The sport has changed so much from the high scoring times of the 80's and early 90's to the dead puck era to the post 2005 lockout era. Check out the effects on the average NHL SV% in this graph from QuantHockey.

you guys on this board are so wrapped up in stats, that you miss some very obvious points

#68 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

you guys on this board are so wrapped up in stats, that you miss some very obvious points

No offense 29th, I have liked a lot of your posts, but this post lacks stats and a point.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#69 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

Such as? I think I proved my point fairly clearly and reasonably. Can you show me a list of goalies in the last 20 years who performed below average in the minors and then went on to be successful NHL players?

#70 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:03 AM

Great reply. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#71 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:20 AM

All one has to do is compare Brodeur's numbers to those of his Utica teammates:

Cory Schwab:  40 GP, 4.25 GAA, .883 save%

Chad Erickson:  9 GP, 5.58 GAA, .848 save%

Utica also gave up a league-high 354 goals that season.  The only defenseman who went on to have much of an NHL career in terms of longevity was Jaroslav Modry (750 GP).  Kevin Dean played in 331 NHL games and Brent Severyn managed to play in 328 NHL contests (helped by expansion Florida coming into the league).  But anyone who was in net for the 1992-93 Utica Devils wasn't going to have pretty numbers. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#72 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:29 AM

Not really so complicated.  Save%s in general were lower in that era than they are now...it was the final years of Live Puck.  It was not uncommon for good offensive teams to score 4+ goals per game (that's unheard of now...basically a team that scores 3+ in this era is considered the benchmark for a "high-scoring" team.  The 2000-01 Devils that scored 295 goals in 82 games was considered to be high-flying and dynamic.  The 1987-88 Devils that also scored 295 goals in 80 GP was average). 

And my above post shows that Marty was going from a god-awful defensive team to a very good one.  There's only so much a good goalie can do playing on a poor defensive team...just ask Chico Resch.  No one was putting up a .900+ save% for that Utica team.  When Marty made the team in 1993-94, I doubt his Utica numbers were even taken into consideration (but the team in front of him probably was). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 24 June 2014 - 06:30 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#73 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

All one has to do is compare Brodeur's numbers to those of his Utica teammates:

Cory Schwab:  40 GP, 4.25 GAA, .883 save%

Chad Erickson:  9 GP, 5.58 GAA, .848 save%

Utica also gave up a league-high 354 goals that season.  The only defenseman who went on to have much of an NHL career in terms of longevity was Jaroslav Modry (750 GP).  Kevin Dean played in 331 NHL games and Brent Severyn managed to play in 328 NHL contests (helped by expansion Florida coming into the league).  But anyone who was in net for the 1992-93 Utica Devils wasn't going to have pretty numbers. 

The Devils allowed a crazy number of shots.  Brodeur saw 34.8 shots against/60.  Schwab saw 36.3 shots against/60.  The team took 1941 penalty minutes - I bet there were a lot of penalties to kill off.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#74 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

The Devils allowed a crazy number of shots.  Brodeur saw 34.8 shots against/60.  Schwab saw 36.3 shots against/60.  The team took 1941 penalty minutes - I bet there were a lot of penalties to kill off.

There were actually nine teams that had more penalty minutes than the Devils (out of 16 AHL teams).  They scored a fair amount too (325 goals).  They were probably pretty entertaining to watch (though nerve-wracking too).  Marty must've loved the difference when he made it to NJ.

#30 FOREVER!

#75 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

There were actually nine teams that had more penalty minutes than the Devils (out of 16 AHL teams).  They scored a fair amount too (325 goals).  They were probably pretty entertaining to watch (though nerve-wracking too).  Marty must've loved the difference when he made it to NJ.

This doesn't surprise me, but the Devils didn't have anyone with 300 PIMs - guys who get there usually get lots of misconducts.  Point is that minor penalties were way more common in hockey back then.

Anyway Brodeur had more talk with Gulitti that makes me nervous because he's clearly set on playing another season and even though he has all this talk about not wanting to get in the way here, he clearly will if it means another season.

Edited by Triumph, 24 June 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#76 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

This doesn't surprise me, but the Devils didn't have anyone with 300 PIMs - guys who get there usually get lots of misconducts. Point is that minor penalties were way more common in hockey back then.

Anyway Brodeur had more talk with Gulitti that makes me nervous because he's clearly set on playing another season and even though he has all this talk about not wanting to get in the way here, he clearly will if it means another season.

He is not coming back, and the article,gives no indication that he will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#77 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Lou was pretty clear, about as clear as Lou has been recently, that there is not much of a chance that Marty returns.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#78 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

He is not coming back, and the article,gives no indication that he will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“But, I don’t know. I’m not going to cross anything off."  - Brodeur on the possibility of playing here.

They have some good young guys, but I’m not sure what the decision will be,” Brodeur said. “He’s going to be waiting a little bit to see what I’m going to do."  Brodeur on Lou's course of action on July 1 regarding backup goaltenders.

Reading between the lines here, it's pretty clear what's going on.  Lou wants Brodeur back, but Brodeur doesn't want to stay here.  Still, there are absolutely no guarantees that Brodeur gets any offers from anyone else, and Brodeur seems dead set on playing another season.

#79 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,955 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

“But, I don’t know. I’m not going to cross anything off."  - Brodeur on the possibility of playing here.

They have some good young guys, but I’m not sure what the decision will be,” Brodeur said. “He’s going to be waiting a little bit to see what I’m going to do."  Brodeur on Lou's course of action on July 1 regarding backup goaltenders.

Reading between the lines here, it's pretty clear what's going on.  Lou wants Brodeur back, but Brodeur doesn't want to stay here.  Still, there are absolutely no guarantees that Brodeur gets any offers from anyone else, and Brodeur seems dead set on playing another season.

This is what I was thinking yesterday and this quote confirmed it. Lou has never moved on. Not at the start of last year, not at the deadline...at no point last year, and it doesn't seem like he has moved on now either.

It's Brodeur that has moved on or wanted to move on for a while. The fact that Lou is going to keep a goalie spot warm for Brodeur just in case Marty gets rejected by all the other teams is....well it's a lot of things ranging from nice to sad.

Edited by devilsrule33, 24 June 2014 - 02:50 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#80 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

Marty is deluded if he thinks he'll be a starter anywhere. He's also deluded if he thinks he'll get a lot of games as a backup.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users