237 replies to this topic

#121 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

I was aware of that as I was typing but I included it anyway. However, the second part of my post is true: Look at what we lost compared to what we signed in regards to free agency and there's definitely an imbalance.

But look at why they left. You can't complain that we have to overpay and then complain that players left because we wouldn't. Free agency is overpayment. That's the name of the game. How many big free agents signed reasonable contracts? 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#122 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

I was aware of that as I was typing but I included it anyway. However, the second part of my post is true: Look at what we lost compared to what we signed in regards to free agency and there's definitely an imbalance.

There will always be an imbalance, in a good or bad way. We lost a lot of good players but we gained Zubrus Kovalchuk Tallinder Zidliky Volchenkov and they helped the team to the Cup. What if Ryder Clowe and Brunner panned out this season? Maybe you'd have a different opinion. It's all about adapting, lets see what happens this summer.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#123 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,451 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

Again, show me even rumors that a notable free agent has waived their NTC/NMC clause to be traded to several teams including NJ. Your list of free agents that left NJ far outweighs what we've gained as far as impact.

Zidlicky. And we were the only team he wanted to go to.

This idea of us being Siberia is way overstated. If it was that undesirable you wouldn't have had Marty staying 20 years, Elias playing his whole career here and other alums constantly coming back. Jagr could have wrote his own ticket almost anywhere after last year but he came back. Hell even Zubrus has signed here for nine years over two contracts.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 25 June 2014 - 11:24 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#124 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

NJ is clearly middle of the pack as NHL destinations go.  It's near New York, taxes aren't as bad as Canada, the weather isn't great but not Canada bad, and if you like not being hassled everywhere you go that's a plus too.  There's been a lot of stability at the GM spot in NJ also.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#125 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

NJ is just not that sexy.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#126 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

Vokoun for a backup

Doesn't he have some health issues? I'd be okay on a one yr incentive laden deal provided his health checks out.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#127 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

NJ is clearly middle of the pack as NHL destinations go. It's near New York, taxes aren't as bad as Canada, the weather isn't great but not Canada bad, and if you like not being hassled everywhere you go that's a plus too. There's been a lot of stability at the GM spot in NJ also.

Found something we agree on finally. While everybody thinks all the Canadian players want to play in Canada I've recalled reading or hearing just as many that would prefer not to.

Edited by coldply123, 25 June 2014 - 11:38 AM.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#128 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

Vokoun for a backup 

Yes please.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#129 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,126 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

Found something we agree on finally. While everybody thinks all the Canadian players want to play in Canada I've recalled reading or hearing just as many that would prefer not to.

No one thinks that except Leafs fans.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#130 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

Yes please.

Agreed.  I think he can still play 20 games in this league.  He's been such an under the radar guy for so many years, never considered elite, but never has a really poor save %.  Oh, and don't forget, Czech Nation aka New Jersey.

Edited by RizzMB30, 25 June 2014 - 01:50 PM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#131 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

Didn't Vokoun had a shaky relationship with Deboer? Or am I thinking it was Clemmensen.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#132 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

Didn't Vokoun had a shaky relationship with Deboer? Or am I thinking it was Clemmensen.

He'd be a freaking backup.  I don't care what kind of a relationship he has/had with Deboer.  "You're a backup! Keep the bench warm unless the starter goes down and don't cause trouble in the locker room." 

#133 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

He'd be a freaking backup. I don't care what kind of a relationship he has/had with Deboer. "You're a backup! Keep the bench warm unless the starter goes down and don't cause trouble in the locker room."

Yes, this is EXACTLY how that works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

#134 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

That is EXACTLY how Hedberg was.  Probably the most team-friendly backup you could have in the room.  He played phenomenal when he was needed until he flopped bad when Marty went down in '13.   Once your play goes down the drain, it doesn't matter if you help disadvantaged kids in the offseason or work in soup kitchens in your free time. 

Edited by RizzMB30, 25 June 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#135 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

That is EXACTLY how Hedberg was. Probably the most team-friendly backup you could have in the room. He played phenomenal when he was needed until he flopped bad when Marty went down in '13.

Clueless.

#136 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Clueless.

No more than you are.  Is there an argument in that insult?

#137 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

No more than you are. Is there an argument in that insult?

I don't need to argue with anyone that truly believes that a coach goes to the goaltender on their team and says shut up and sit on the bench, of course unless I need you. Also, do not throw any keggers on nights before games or bang Mrs. Elias.

I can't even begin to argue with this.

#138 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

Clueless.

How is that clueless? Vokoun has experience as a starter and at one time he was doing a decent job starting for Pitt. Hedberg was never a starter and couldn't handle the workload when Marty was on LTIR.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#139 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,126 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

I really think this is how it works. Whoever comes to NJ, it will be clear they are a backup to Schneider. Past beef or not, that player will be signing knowing exactly the expectations. As a backup, you keep quiet, work hard and be ready to go when your name is called.

Problems arise when there are no clear roles and a coach goes game to game. Kind of like this past year in NJ.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#140 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

I don't need to argue with anyone that truly believes that a coach goes to the goaltender on their team and says shut up and sit on the bench, of course unless I need you. Also, do not throw any keggers on nights before games or bang Mrs. Elias.

I can't even begin to argue with this.

I'm not being completely literal, just like your quoted post isn't entirely serious.  I'm saying that in a nutshell, that is the backups role and mentality. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users