Photo

Solving the Devils Shootout Woes (Free Agents)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

We all know where we stand, 0-12 is horrendous, and it has been a difference maker.

Personally i don’t believe its psychological for the majority of our shooters (Elias and Jagr and Henrique aside) i think it’s just a distinct lack of talent. The majority of our shooters just don’t have the hands.

I was intrigued as to who the Devils could bring in to solve this problem. So i decided to investigate the shootout records for this season so far of all the 2014 UFA forwards this summer.

Unsurprisingly about 100 or so UFA forwards didn’t have a single shootout attempt this season.

Here are the figures for all those that did and a few notable players who didn’t even attempt a shot.

Player		Shootout Attempts	Goals	Success Rate
Gaborik, Marian »	2		2	100%
Terry, Chris »		2		2	100%
Hemsky, Ales »		1		1	100%
Ott, Steve »		3		2	66.70%
Moulson, Matt »		5		3	60%
Setoguchi, Devin »	8		4	50%
Selanne, Teemu »	4		2	50%
Roy, Derek »		2		1	50%
Grabovski, Mikhail »	12		5	44%
Vrbata, Radim »		12		5	44%
Vanek, Thomas »		7		3	43%
Stempniak, Lee »	5		2	40%
Jokinen, Olli »		8		3	37.50%
Cammalleri, Mike »	6		2	33%
Pouliot, Benoit »	3		1	33%
Raymond, Mason »	7		2	28.60%
Jokinen, Jussi »	8		2	25%
Santorelli, Mike »	8		2	25%
Alfredsson, Daniel »	10		2	20%
Legwand, David »	5		1	20%
Jagr, Jaromir »		5		1	20%
Iginla, Jarome »	6		1	16.60%
Bertuzzi, Todd »	7		1	14.30%
Michalek, Milan »	8		1	12.50%
Whitney, Ray »		3		0	0%
Callahan, Ryan »	3		0	0%
Koivu, Saku »		3		0	0%
Bouchard, Pierre-Marc »	2		0	0%
Handzus, Michal »	2		0	0%
Sislo, Mike »		1		0	0%
Heatley, Dany »		0		0	0%
Stastny, Paul »		0		0	0%
Gionta, Brian »		0		0	0%
Bolland, Dave »		0		0	0%
Samuelsson, Mikael »	0		0	0%
Kulemin, Nikolai »	0		0	0%
Downie, Steve »		0		0	0%
Smyth, Ryan »		0		0	0%
Moss, David »		0		0	0%

A player who tops a lot of peoples 1st choice free agent list (including mine) Paul Stastny, hasn’t had an attempt so far this year. So it seems unlikely that he would be able to help the situation (although with Duchene and O'Riley on the team its highly unlikely they ever really get to the stage they need to use Stastny). Either way he isn’t one of colorados go to guys.

Matt Moulson on the other hand, who is a player i also a player quite a few would like to see the devils take a shot at, has had decent success in the shootout this year (he was 100% with the Islanders before going to the wild).

Groboviski, Vrbata and Vanek all also have fairly decent records this year. I mean 40% of the time, they score every time!!!

In terms of value to be had, and bringing in a pure ringer for the skills competition (a la Viktor Kozlov) Chris Terry of the Carolina Hurricanes is a great shout. 100% success rate and only making the league minimum. alternatively guarantee success with Gaborik at the other end of the scale.

A player to avoid like the plague is Ryan Callahan. Many think he would be a good fit for the Devils, and as his shootout statistics suggest, he would fit in seamlessly with the Devils current shootout tactics..

Some interesting options.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9, 11 April 2014 - 09:31 AM.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#2 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,005 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

If Stastny cannot be had, I'd take a flier on Grabovski.

I don't think targeting guys specifically good at shootouts is a good idea, though. That's a bonus. I mean, look at Clowe, you could argue one of the benefits of signing him was shootouts.

#3 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

I would never look to sign a player based on shootout numbers

I honestly think nearly every single player in the entire league would score more than 3 goals in 46? shootout attempts or whatever the number is now...

6.52% is unfathomable

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#4 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Can't shop for players based on SO stats. Agree with DP about it being a bonus, but under no circumstance should it be the driving force to shop for or sign a particular player.

The goal should be winning in regulation. 

#5 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Ok ,so i wasnt actually serious.

I woke up this monring and saw 0-12 and thought "really, how is this possible?". 

I just wanted to see if any of the guys who are UFA this year excelled.

I would still take Stasnty even though he hasnt played in the skills competition this year, and Moulson's skills would clearly be an added bonus.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#6 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,277 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

You know Brian's coming back, and he was actually good in the shootout with us anyway.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#7 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

You know Brian's coming back, and he was actually good in the shootout with us anyway.

Gio?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#8 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

The Devil's lack finishers. They need 2 bona fide scorers. True shooters. If you get those 2, or even 1, they will score in the shootout. Combine that with a fresh season for Henrique or maybe even Clowe and I think things might be better on both the goal scoring and SO front. I know getting that help is way easier said than done.

If I coached a team, I would mandate all my shooters use the same template every time so it would disguise tendencies. Look at that video of Oshie and every attempt against Russia was virtually identical up to the finish. I think teams have been freewheeling the SO and losing valuable points along the way. If you play a system for 65 minutes, why not have one for the SO, which determines those same 2 points?

Edited by hystyk28, 11 April 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#9 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

The Devil's lack finishers. They need 2 bona fide scorers. True shooters. If you get those 2, or even 1, they will score in the shootout. Combine that with a fresh season for Henrique or maybe even Clowe and I think things might be better on both the goal scoring and SO front. I know getting that help is way easier said than done.

If I coached a team, I would mandate all my shooters use the same template every time so it would disguise tendencies. Look at that video of Oshie and every attempt against Russia was virtually identical up to the finish. I think teams have been freewheeling the SO and losing valuable points along the way. If you play a system for 65 minutes, why not have one for the SO, which determines those same 2 points?

What do you mean by "template"?!?

Edited by ThreeCups, 11 April 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#10 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

Yeah you can pretty much assume Brian Gionta's returning..and he's technically a scorer.  He might help a bit.

I do miss his one-and-only forehand-backhand move.  

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#11 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

just saying, michael ryder is a "scorer" a "pure shooter". It is why i was elated with his signing. the problem is when that shot isn't going in, or he doesn't have linemates doing the heavy lifting, he is an anchor

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#12 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

I think alot of the problem can be solved if we get Elias to see a sports psychologist for his shootout yips. Man is Chuck Knoblauch the shootout... minus hitting Keith Olberman's mom

#13 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

just saying, michael ryder is a "scorer" a "pure shooter". It is why i was elated with his signing. the problem is when that shot isn't going in, or he doesn't have linemates doing the heavy lifting, he is an anchor

He is not a top 6 forward. I would say he is a perfect 3rd liner except he can't doesn't skate at all. The Des need a top 6 shooting forward. Think Iginla-esque.

Ryder is certainly one of my least favorite Devs of all time.

#14 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

I think alot of the problem can be solved if we get Elias to see a sports psychologist for his shootout yips. Man is Chuck Knoblauch the shootout... minus hitting Keith Olberman's mom

I was at that game. It was the best throw he made all season. 

Posted Image

#15 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Radim Vrbata is the guy I want signed. He would help the offense and at least get 20 goals and 50 points and  his career shootout percentage on 82 attempts is 42%. He's at 20 goals and 50 points so far this year but with 255 total shots. If his shooting percentage this season was above 7.8% he would be having another great season.

? Zajac Jagr
Henrique Elias Vrbata

Edited by Zubie#8, 11 April 2014 - 02:55 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#16 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

I have no interest in discussing how to 'solve the shootout.' Tell the guys to grow some balls and take the sticks out of their asses.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#17 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

Michalek is a money player shootout or not.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#18 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

I have no interest in discussing how to 'solve the shootout.' Tell the guys to grow some balls and take the sticks out of their asses.

Then you Sir are clearly in the wrong thread.

Posted Image

#19 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

I thought that's why Ryder was brought in, and Brunner. Both failed as did Clowe. All three are supposed "finishers'/shooters. Lou's experiment fell short. 

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#20 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

Pete, is that you?

believe-devs.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users