Photo

If Cory Schneider refuses to sign an extension this summer...

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: If Cory Schneider refuses to sign an extension this summer... (51 member(s) have cast votes)

If Schneider will not sign an extension this summer Lou should...

1. Trade him immediately (32 votes [62.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.75%

2. Continue to try to sign him until he's a UFA (19 votes [37.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

If he declines signing, then I wouldn't mind considering the following:

1.  Schneider / Larsson to EDM for Eberle/Klefbom or Taylor Hall

2.  Schneider / Zajac  to CAR for Ward  / Eric Staal

3.  Schneider / Larsson or Zajac to Toronto for Phil Kessel 

That's my two cents...

holy sh!t #2's awful. And if you could get Kessel, you do that in a second but even Toronto's not dumb enough to trade one of the 5-10 best players in the league. And I don't want anything to do with Eberle. Plus EDM has its goalie now with Scrivens 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#42 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:43 AM

That's my two cents...

Those proposals make HF-boards blush.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#43 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

That's my two cents...

As much as I would love to have Phil Kessel (I've championed him many times on this forum), they're not going to give up on Bernier so I dont see them having the interest. Bernier has not even gotten his contract that leads to UFA yet and despite Toronto falling apart, its not his fault. I just don't see Toronto as having the interest in Cory. And to get Kessel, it'd prob have to be Larsson and Zajac + another name, and that probably wouldn't even get it done. I think that deal as you have it structured could get JVR, but not Kessel. That'd also leave us with a hole in the middle, so we'd have to try and get a UFA center and a #1 goaltender unless we got Bernier back (which means we'd have to add more to the deal).

I think 1 is the most realistic and 2 is one I wouldnt want to do. 3 is an NHL 14 deal. Cory is only signed for one year and I really doubt he'd choose to sign in Edmonton over us long term and I imagine that would be a big deal in respect to any team who traded for him.

Edited by ghdi, 12 April 2014 - 03:02 AM.

#44 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,410 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

That's my two cents...

This is just insane.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#45 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

i wouldnt want to give up larsson or zajac.. especially zajac
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#46 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

I'd trade him asap and try to figure out our net situation for the future and try to get set for the start of the season with someone you KNOW will be there all season. Waiting you're only setting yourself up for minimal return or being stuck in a corner in negotiations.

I mean we all know how it's gonna go during the season right? "We're in a playoff race right now, we can't trade our #1 goalie, that'd be like giving up on the season bla bla bla bla"

plus we can't sign him and trade him during the season, we have to get another goalie. So the return would simply be a swap quite possibly, unless we can throw picks or wtv to get another one but see, we'd be running after it. If we trade him during the summer we can have a better return, get other parts and sign another goalie maybe, more time to settle and not rush anything during the season with a clouded judgement based on where we are in the standings at that time

www.SterioDesign.com

#47 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,410 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

i wouldnt want to give up larsson or zajac.. especially zajac

I wouldn't deal either.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#48 jerseysteve

jerseysteve

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

Under no circumstances will Lou trade Schneider.  Anyone who has followed this team for any period of time understands that's not how the Devils do business.

#49 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

If Schneider refused to sign an extension, and Toronto would take him plus Larsson for Kessel, or Edmonton for Taylor Hall, I would not hesitate for a second.

The Ward/Staal I'm not sure, seems like both of those guys have been around a while, how old are they? Plus, does Staal want to keep playing with his brother? That would be a variable as well

#50 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

Under no circumstances will Lou trade Schneider.  Anyone who has followed this team for any period of time understands that's not how the Devils do business.

Yes and look at the mess we're in right now for losing all those guys for nothing.

www.SterioDesign.com

#51 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

This is probably the circumstance where Marty ends up back here for one more year.  If Schneider is traded, Brodeur will be back.

#52 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

This is probably the circumstance where Marty ends up back here for one more year.  If Schneider is traded, Brodeur will be back.

i think brodeur will be back for another year regardless if schneider resigns this summer or not.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#53 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

i think brodeur will be back for another year regardless if schneider resigns this summer or not.

I agree. He just played half a season, it's only logical that management thinks he still has something, even if it's only enough to be a backup and play 15-20.

Plus, he seems to want to keep playing. If there were another team who wanted him and would give him more ice time, he might go. But after getting half the games this year he wasn't happy. That means he wants a starting job, which I don't think he will find.

I'd guess he is with the team either way next year, in goalie pads or in a suit.

#54 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

i dont think anyone would be willing to give him a starting job.. thats just not realistic for him at this point in his career.. and i dont think he will be back here in a suit its too soon, i think just about no matter what he will be on a roster somewhere and as i said enless hes really that butt hurt about them bringing in cory basically behind his back then i think he would be likely to remain here again enless someone else is offering him a better role
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#55 jerseysteve

jerseysteve

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

We're two years removed from an appearance in the finals--Again. We have new ownership and a boatload of kids. The overreaction here is crazy.

#56 Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

We could have had Valeri Nichushkin, what a waste of a pick, if we dont sign Cory.  :doh1:

3308166.jpeg

#57 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

We're two years removed from an appearance in the finals--Again. We have new ownership and a boatload of kids. The overreaction here is crazy.

If they re-sign Cory, they should be in great shape in net, and they've got some good D prospects (really hopping Larsson plays on the big club all season next year).  Forward situation is definitely murky. 

Anyway, yeah, after a tremendous run, missing the playoffs three out of four seasons but getting to one SC Final isn't bottom-of-the-barrel, but I'm sure Lou doesn't want this becoming four-out-five-years or five-out-of-six years of missing the playoffs, if he can help it.  He's got a much better financial situation now and contracts coming off the books...this is going to be an interesting off-season...we'll probably know a couple of weeks into UFA if Lou thinks he can make this team a true contender within the next couple of seasons, or if he thinks it may take longer.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#58 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,620 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

If they re-sign Cory, they should be in great shape in net, and they've got some good D prospects (really hopping Larsson plays on the big club all season next year).  Forward situation is definitely murky. 

Anyway, yeah, after a tremendous run, missing the playoffs three out of four seasons but getting to one SC Final isn't bottom-of-the-barrel, but I'm sure Lou doesn't want this becoming four-out-five-years or five-out-of-six years of missing the playoffs, if he can help it.  He's got a much better financial situation now and contracts coming off the books...this is going to be an interesting off-season...we'll probably know a couple of weeks into UFA if Lou thinks he can make this team a true contender within the next couple of seasons, or if he thinks it may take longer.

Larsson can't go back to the minors next year, he's waiver eligible.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#59 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

well he's gonna need to sign forwards no matter what with Boucher and Matteau being the only forward prospects we have anywhere close. Pietiela I guess maybe too eventually 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#60 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

It is possible that Lou already tested the waters with Cory and this played a part in not trading Marty at the deadline...  It wouldn't surprise if Schneider were to get traded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users