Photo

If Cory Schneider refuses to sign an extension this summer...

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: If Cory Schneider refuses to sign an extension this summer... (51 member(s) have cast votes)

If Schneider will not sign an extension this summer Lou should...

1. Trade him immediately (32 votes [62.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.75%

2. Continue to try to sign him until he's a UFA (19 votes [37.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

It is possible that Lou already tested the waters with Cory and this played a part in not trading Marty at the deadline... It wouldn't surprise if Schneider were to get traded.

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#62 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty true because Marty is a FA but there is some significance to it; because it's like, once you trade Marty, it's kind of seems like he should be gone for good. I don't think the scenario the poster proposed ever happened though.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#63 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

I wanted to shop Schneider this year. I knew it wasn't going to happen, and waiting until the offseason or sometime next year won't really mean much a difference. I really don't think he likes it here, and although he grew on me a bit, I didn't like him much from when we first got him. I'm pretty bad at playing GM when it comes to trade value. Could we move Schneider and Gelinas to Edmonton for Scrivens and one of their young scorers?

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#64 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

I wanted to shop Schneider this year. I knew it wasn't going to happen, and waiting until the offseason or sometime next year won't really mean much a difference. I really don't think he likes it here, and although he grew on me a bit, I didn't like him much from when we first got him. I'm pretty bad at playing GM when it comes to trade value. Could we move Schneider and Gelinas to Edmonton for Scrivens and one of their young scorers?

No chance in hell I'd do that. I'd say there's a good chance Schneider wins the Vezina next year.

#65 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

No chance in hell I'd do that. I'd say there's a good chance Schneider wins the Vezina next year.

Someone's out of the god damn mind

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#66 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

I think it's hilarious that the opinions in here range from "Trade Schneids ASAP" to "He's winning the Vezina". All I'll say is I'd be shocked if they trade him and even more shocked if he isn't locked-up. The Devils simply can't afford to lose him and I see him getting overpaid if need be to stay here.

believe-devs.jpg

#67 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

I think it's hilarious that the opinions in here range from "Trade Schneids ASAP" to "He's winning the Vezina". All I'll say is I'd be shocked if they trade him and even more shocked if he isn't locked-up. The Devils simply can't afford to lose him and I see him getting overpaid if need be to stay here.

The biggest issue is, does he want to stay here?

I do not know if throwing tons of money at him will be enough to get it done.   I hope we sign him to a long term deal; but I am definitely nervous about it.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#68 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

thats my concern about cory as well... if he wants to actually stay here, i think he was quite frustrated this year with the goalie situation and the team playing like hot trash in front of him.. who knows what he is going to want to do im sure he will have better options than here in nj
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#69 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

It's not really a stretch to say that Schneids might win the Vezina - he already has the best GAA in the league among players who have started 26+ games (7 points lower than the next guy). If he can get his save percentage up a few points, he will be right in the mix.

Edited by Neb00rs, 13 April 2014 - 10:42 PM.

#70 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

It's not really a stretch to say that Schneids might win the Vezina - he already has the best GAA in the league among players who have started 26+ games (7 points lower than the next guy). If he can get his save percentage up a few points, he will be right in the mix.

Not saying it's not possible, just was pointing out how opinions in this thread really run the gamut haha. It's quite interesting actually. 

believe-devs.jpg

#71 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

You guys are not realizing the fact of how hard it is to have a GUARANTEED spot as a starting goalie on ANY team.  Just take a moment and think about how many starting jobs there are in the NHL and how hard it is to nail one down.  Cory Schneider knew when he came to NJ that Marty Brodeur was aging and possibly on the way out.  Despite his win/loss pct., Cory Schneider is a starting 'tender, and he displayed that this year and his time in Vancouver.  You also have to realize that Brodeur is done as a starter not only here, but possibly in the NHL.  There is NO way you trade Cory Schneider unless a deal is NOT done by the trade deadline next season.  That is the only time you consider it.  Even then, Cory Schneider is worth a 1st round pick + a nearly developed prospect and you can't accept anything less for him.  If you only get a 1st round pick for Schneider, that means the Devils were hosed just as bad as Vancouver when they let him go because like it or not, we hosed VAN for that pick as they could have demanded a blue-chip prospect from us on top of the 1st rounder. 

If you're going to make guesses about this or that, you have to think logically.  Schneider knows that while yes, he can go anywhere if he goes to July 1st, (UFA) and his agent will whisper that in his ear about all the money he can make if he waits, however, he is guaranteed a spot here with Brodeur likely on the way out (again 30 starting jobs, not many would pass up a guaranteed spot), not to mention he is very likely to get paid.  Marty has gotten his farewell, although I think its VERY likely that he swallows his pride and returns as a backup goalie next season for the Devils, essentially settling for 20-30 games as a backup and then retiring a Devil.  Marty is going to have a very difficult time finding a backup job in the league, let alone a starting job. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#72 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

Lou doesn't trade impending UFAs just because they won't sign extensions.  I'd be shocked if he traded him, especially because the goaltender market is so weird and I don't expect any great return for him.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 14 April 2014 - 07:10 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#73 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

lou said that resigning cory was at the very top of his to do list this summer.. i have complete faith he will get it locked away
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users