Photo

GDT: Isles @ Devils 7:30PM - Marty's Last Game?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#101 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

Thought Cory deserved another game after the last two losses. Brodeur playing the finale always was going to happen, so sh!tty that Cory's season ends on two losses with a GAA under 1.00 in those games. I'm sure he'll be eager to play some big games at the Worlds.

I think Sunday will be Brodeur's last NHL game as long as Lou doesn't do something stupid in the off-season.

Hope it's a special send off at The Rock.

Edited by devilsrule33, 11 April 2014 - 10:10 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#102 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,498 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

As it should be. This is gonna be his last game. This is the fans' last chance to say 'good-bye and thank you' to Marty until jersey retirement night. I'd actually be pissed if Cory played this one, as it means nothing in terms of playoffs.

Honestly I think they would have considered getting Marty out of there on a win if we had won tonight, but of course the fvckers from Bridgeport beat us in another skills competition.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#103 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:47 PM

Honestly I think they would have considered getting Marty out of there on a win if we had won tonight, but of course the fvckers from Bridgeport beat us in another skills competition.

ha. well at least the guys who beat him in the shootout were legit NHLers (I consider Strome one at this point)

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#104 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,403 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

I don't think so Has- this last one has been earmarked for Marty since we were officially eliminated (and possibly longer than that) knowing it will likely be his last game in a Devils uniform. Even if he won tonight, I think he'd be playing Sunday.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#105 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:03 AM

Brodeur didn't do himself any favors by shooting the puck at Bailey to only get burned by the same move by the next shooter, Isles bench had many smiles after that one. This season cannot end soon enough because when I thought I have seen it all something new rears its ugly head in every game.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#106 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,498 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:22 AM

I don't think so Has- this last one has been earmarked for Marty since we were officially eliminated (and possibly longer than that) knowing it will likely be his last game in a Devils uniform. Even if he won tonight, I think he'd be playing Sunday.

Then why didn't Pete publicly commit to it right off?  They only said he was playing tonight's game before tonight and wouldn't commit to a Sunday starter till after tonight's game.  As if getting cloak and dagger with the goaltending over two glorified preseason games really matters.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 12 April 2014 - 12:23 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#107 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,403 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

Then why didn't Pete publicly commit to it right off? They only said he was playing tonight's game before tonight and wouldn't commit to a Sunday starter till after tonight's game. As if getting cloak and dagger with the goaltending over two glorified preseason games really matters.

I have no idea... Doesn't make much sense to not just state the obvious. But I'm sure they'll announce it soon enough.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#108 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:41 AM

Then why didn't Pete publicly commit to it right off?  They only said he was playing tonight's game before tonight and wouldn't commit to a Sunday starter till after tonight's game.  As if getting cloak and dagger with the goaltending over two glorified preseason games really matters.

I think he is being respectful to both Cory and Marty and the situation. He would never normally announce Brodeur starts two straight games. So no point now, even if it is pretty obvious to everyone involved why it be the case. Like I said earlier, Cory deserved one of the last two games based on play. But that hasn't been how it worked all season, and it won't end that way either. That's fine, but it's the better way of going about it rather than saying we're gonna give Marty the last two starts because there's a good chance he never plays again.

Speaking of the goalies and Deboer, I had to laugh one more time during the post game press conference as Deboer talked about having a goalie situation that every team would want, and how both goalies deserved more games than they got.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#109 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:23 AM

Again, doesn't matter if our goalie plays well or not, we suck.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#110 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,549 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

I think he is being respectful to both Cory and Marty and the situation. He would never normally announce Brodeur starts two straight games. So no point now, even if it is pretty obvious to everyone involved why it be the case. Like I said earlier, Cory deserved one of the last two games based on play. But that hasn't been how it worked all season, and it won't end that way either. That's fine, but it's the better way of going about it rather than saying we're gonna give Marty the last two starts because there's a good chance he never plays again.

Speaking of the goalies and Deboer, I had to laugh one more time during the post game press conference as Deboer talked about having a goalie situation that every team would want, and how both goalies deserved more games than they got.

I don't think PDB believes that...I think even if Marty doesn't necessarily want to take the high road, PDB and others will.  Better than back-and-forth squabbling through the media.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#111 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

all this brodeur farewell talk.. im going to bet my money that he is back here again next season... sure i could be wrong but im betting he comes back here again regardless of who here is going to bitch about it or not
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#112 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

It constantly amazes me that so many on this forum harp on our "goalie problems" but ignore our pitiful offense. Being 26 out of 30 in goals per game, it's almost definite you are going nowhere. It's actually more amazing we were as close as we were.

Would a full season of Cory at 2.00 GAA have helped? Of course. But you can't say he would have been as good over a whole season.

That being said, next season we have to find out the answer to that question. But we need first line players. Zajac is not a first line player on any other team. Jagr at 42 isn't. Elias at 37 isn't. Zubrus isn't.

It's pretty obvious that we need offense badly. One more 20 goal scorer instead of a Josefson, for example, would have done wonders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users