Despite all the flaws and what not he's just too goofy to not just love

#23 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

The food at Pru Center started to go down hill after they stopped airing the Chico Eats segments.

Bring in La Greca!!!

#24 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:36 PM

I was lucky enough to have club seats tonight and I talked to him a few times and even got a picture with him. I told him it won't be the same without him and that really struck a cord with him and he hesitated to respond to me and he just put his hand on my shoulder and said he really appreciated it and said he is nothing without the fans. I will miss the guy very much, he is always great to listen to and an even better person.

First time I actually met Chico was before game 1 against the Kings. My friend and I literally bumped into him on the corner outside of the arena and of course good ole Chico was munching on a hotdog while talking to all the fans saying he's hasn't been so excited in years. He really is a great man.

Edited by Zubie#8, 11 April 2014 - 11:43 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#25 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

Does Doc have a national game Sunday? It would be cool if he could come back for Chico's last game.

This would be so, so cool. I don't know if he'd be able to do it contractually but man.. That'd just be awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Also, I know it's generally impossible to coordinate these things..

But a "Thank you Chico" chant on Sunday would be really amazing.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#26 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

I was lucky enough to have club seats tonight and I talked to him a few times and even got a picture with him. I told him it won't be the same without him and that really struck a cord with him and he hesitated to respond to me and he just put his hand on my shoulder and said he really appreciated it and said he is nothing without the fans. I will miss the guy very much, he is always great to listen to and an even better person.

First time I actually met Chico was before game 1 against the Kings. My friend and I literally bumped into him on the corner outside of the arena and of course good ole Chico was munching on a hotdog while talking to all the fans saying he's hasn't been so excited in years. He really is a great man.

I believe it- Chico is the real deal. I'm hoping by luck I run into him at the game Sunday so I can thank him for what he's meant to the Devils and to me as a fan.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#27 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:14 AM

I believe it- Chico is the real deal. I'm hoping by luck I run into him at the game Sunday so I can thank him for what he's meant to the Devils and to me as a fan.

If you want to shell out the money get club seats on the announcers side. Chico must have took pictures with at least 50 people and talked with everyone, such a great guy.

Over the past few years we lost Parise Kovalchuk Clarkson Doc and now Chico, pretty sad. :(

believe-zubrus.jpg

#28 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:19 AM

This would be so, so cool. I don't know if he'd be able to do it contractually but man.. That'd just be awesome.

Also, I know it's generally impossible to coordinate these things..

But a "Thank you Chico" chant on Sunday would be really amazing.

http://www.nbcsports.com/nhl/nhl-nbc

I don't know who does what games or where you can find that out but if I had to guess Doc would probably be doing Flyers-Pens tomorrow.  Not sure he'd do a Sunday game, if they'd shuttle him to St. Louis that quickly for the Sunday national telecast.

#29 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:36 AM

He was terrible towards the end, but he was our terrible. Will miss him for sure.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#30 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

I don't see any way in which Chico can be viewed as "terrible." I actually find it condescending when people say things like "he's our idiot."  Just ask CR76 what kind of character that man has. Furthermore, he added entertainment to the games and made it fun to watch. The man deserves our respect.

BTW, 'goofy' I don't mind. Chico is goofy, and I love it.

Edited by Neb00rs, 12 April 2014 - 07:01 AM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#31 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

Despite all the flaws and what not he's just too goofy to not just love

Totally agree.  He was frustrating to listen to at times (too Homeric for my liking), but he is earnest in his own goofy way.  He was our goofy.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#32 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

I don't see any way in which Chico can be viewed as "terrible." I actually find it condescending when people say things like "he's our idiot."  Just ask CR76 what kind of character that man has. Furthermore, he added entertainment to the games and made it fun to watch. The man deserves our respect.

BTW, 'goofy' I don't mind. Chico is goofy, and I love it.

He once said about doing color commentary:  "If I wasn't talking, I wouldn't know what to say."  Almost has a little Yogi in him, in a good way of course. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#33 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

after all the complaining about him i might actually miss listening to him..who knows how dano will be in his spot
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#34 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

He was one of the few colour guys I've heard in any sport who focused on the human side of the game--his conversations with players, what a game meant to certain guys, etc.-- rather than simply talking strategy.

Definitely will be missed.

Posted Image

#35 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

Totally agree.  He was frustrating to listen to at times (too Homeric for my liking), but he is earnest in his own goofy way.  He was our goofy.

my thought exactly.

Geez... the Devils as i grew up knowing them is really nearing an end... Stevens, Nieds, Dano, Doc, Chico, goal song, Brodeur (i guess), Robinson, steady playoffs participation etc etc all gone. 

Help me Elias, you're my only hope

tumblr_lkot6w6QHJ1qcrzkko1_500.gif

if you dont get the reference you're simply not cool... at all. 

www.SterioDesign.com

#36 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

my thought exactly.

Geez... the Devils as i grew up knowing them is really nearing an end... Stevens, Nieds, Dano, Doc, Chico, goal song, Brodeur (i guess), Robinson, steady playoffs participation etc etc all gone. 

Help me Elias, you're my only hope

tumblr_lkot6w6QHJ1qcrzkko1_500.gif

if you dont get the reference you're simply not cool... at all. 

Elias is the last connection to the 2003 Cup team once Brodeur who is the last connection to the 1995 Cup team retires or leaves or does whatever it is he's going to do. Outside of Lou anyway. We're in a new arena, with new music, new play by play, new color guy, many coaches later, new goal song, new goal horn, new ownership, all different.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#37 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

They asked Marty about Chico after last night's game... Don't know if this has been posted anywhere. Sorry I don't know how to embed...

http://devils.nhl.co...vid=DL|NJD|home

Basically...

Reporter: Chico announced his retirement today...

Marty: Did he? Wow... From what?

You know Chico would love it.

Posted Image

#38 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Count me as a huge Chico fan.   Watching a game with him announcing is like watching a game with a friend over a beer and just rattling on about hockey stuff.   Chico never cared about being a broadcaster first.   His first love was--and is--hockey, and he took delight in sharing the human element within the locker room and on the ice.   In today's egotistical world of "me me me", I found him quite refreshing…and I'm going to miss the hell out of him.   Thanks for making hockey fun, and for at the very least making the "bad" times bearable.  

"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

#39 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

They asked Marty about Chico after last night's game... Don't know if this has been posted anywhere. Sorry I don't know how to embed...

Basically...

Brodeur giving no fvcks about Chico.

I haven't caught many broadcasts over the last few years with the Devils announcing team, but  I always enjoyed Chico. He had an infectious energy and passion that very few have in their announcing job. I think that part helped overcome so many WTF moments when he was talking.

I don't think he was a Devils homer at all, but erred on the side of being too critical of players. He was simply a goalie apologist. From all the fan stories I have read, he had no problem telling you how he really thought away from the job. I think that's how it is with most in the business.

He'll be missed.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#40 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

Basically...

Its clear that he was joking, him and chico prob have a good relationship with each other.

Chico will be missed and they should def have a chico night next yr (with a chico bobblehead when he was a devs goalie, hotdog special, and have doc come back to host chico night)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users