84 replies to this topic

#41 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

He once said about doing color commentary:  "If I wasn't talking, I wouldn't know what to say."  Almost has a little Yogi in him, in a good way of course. 

And I can only imagine what kind of player he was to have in the locker room with that personalty; probably a morale booster for everyone. I hope when the team honors Chico, that they don't neglect to honor him as a former player in addition to celebrating his years as an announcer..

Count me as a huge Chico fan.   Watching a game with him announcing is like watching a game with a friend over a beer and just rattling on about hockey stuff.   Chico never cared about being a broadcaster first.   His first love was--and is--hockey, and he took delight in sharing the human element within the locker room and on the ice.   In today's egotistical world of "me me me", I found him quite refreshing…and I'm going to miss the hell out of him.   Thanks for making hockey fun, and for at the very least making the "bad" times bearable.  

Very well said. 

Brodeur giving no fvcks about Chico.

You're kidding right?

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#42 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

God speed Chico!  God speed!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#43 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

God speed Chico!  God speed!

hes not dead..hes just retiring
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#44 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

There is and never will be another tandem like doc and Chico to me.

It's just never going to be the same. Still haven't adjusted to Steve.

I'll miss him more than Marty.
-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#45 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:08 PM

As much as I will miss Chico's down-home pro-Devils personality, I will also miss his dissection of replays. I have long thought him to be underrated in that area.

Edited by 95Crash, 12 April 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#46 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

And I can only imagine what kind of player he was to have in the locker room with that personalty; probably a morale booster for everyone. I hope when the team honors Chico, that they don't neglect to honor him as a former player in addition to celebrating his years as an announcer..

He was definitely important in those early years...on a team as hopeless at those early Devils were, you need someone like him who's almost relentlessly positive and cheerful, as the losses are piling up...there's just only so much suckage most players can take.  You need a guy who can help his young teammates find the positives in their performances, help them find things to build on that aren't yet translating into wins.  A guy like Chico helps to keep them from getting angry/frustrated and from giving up on themselves.. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 April 2014 - 06:22 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#47 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

Who are we going to get to jinx us?  Chico was the man!

#48 MrBreeze

MrBreeze

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

Chico is losing his mind today and it's great to see/hear. Was he the best color guy, hell no. But he was OUR guy, he related to the Devils from the Mickey Mouse days to the Cup days and beyond. Chico played mostly as a NY Islander, but he's a Devil through and through. I for one will miss him.

NheWHgW.gif

#49 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Looked to me like Stan nearly teared up at the end there talking about Chico. You can just tell how so many people who deal with him admire him.

#50 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

Love the Chico chant post game!! :)

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

#51 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

Soooooo sad :(

believe-zubrus.jpg

#52 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

Chico Eats!! I'm now Fn teary...

Gonna miss oke Cheek!!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

#53 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

Boy, going to miss Chico. Love this post game.

815631765.gif

#54 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

So far the chico post game has been more entertaining then this season

#55 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

Glad I'm rolling the DVR at home, this postgame sounds awesome lol.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#56 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

@TGfireandice: Brodeur essentially said Schneider will be Devils clear cut No. 1 next season. IF Brodeur comes back, it will be as backup.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#57 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

I need to find my Chico Eats shirt. 

Edited by roomtemp, 13 April 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#58 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

Loved that postgame show! It was like 80 percent Chico, 10 percent Marty, and 10 percent the rest of the team.

#59 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

I want to congratulate Chico on a great career. He is one of the classiest hockey people I ever met. A true gentleman. I was fortunate to work on Devils games in '00-01 and those were a gem. It definitely changed my perspective. At the end of the day, these are just people who get to play and cover the best sport. It was a great experience.

My fondest memory of Chico will always be when before a Thrashers game during the morning skate, I was studying the stats and noticed that the 2 teams had the most hat tricks in the league. To sum it up, I told him and later on the telecast in the third, he used it. I'll never forget Mr. Resch mentioning me on air when the production truck put the graphic up. That was an ultra cool moment. Between that and getting the opportunity to see the best broadcaster in the business Doc prepare and Stan starting every meeting with a cheesy joke, it was a blast. My last game, I remember saying my goodbyes. It was emotional. Little did I know that a few years later I'd see Chico at MSG for the Rangers first round series in '06. I can still recall him saying, "Pretty big night."

That was Chico. He is one of the nicest people. I am glad the broadcast paid tribute to him. He was the Devils. That part will be missed. Devil broadcasts won't be the same. I loved seeing all the old clips. Great production from a bunch of quality people. I'm glad you all treated him so nicely and chanted his name till the conclusion of the MSG broadcast. He deserved it. At least they'll have Ken Daneyko in the booth. He'll do great.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#60 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

Someone put the Chico centric postgame on youtube.

-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users