2364 replies to this topic

#2341 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

Are people still upset that the Kings beat the Devils in the playoffs 2 years ago?  I mean they were a really good team and they just played better for the Devils.  Outside the questionable call ing ame 6 (which is 100% on the refs), I do not think the Kings really did anything dirty or played in a way that would make us hate them.

I actually have and will like the Kings and I really hope they do win.  They are my 3rd favorite western team after Dallas and St. Louis.

Yeah, I got over 2012 earlier this year. LA is one hell of a hockey team, it's hard not to like them. They play gritty hockey and they play it the right way. The polar opposite of Montreal, I think New York is in for a rude awakening.

#2342 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

Basically what I was saying earlier:

The trouble is, they don’t watch really watch hockey in New York and Los Angeles. They do in my town, Chicago.

Just look at the ratings.

Last night’s Game 7 did a huge 22.7 rating in Chicago, which translates to more than 800,000 homes tuning in. Meanwhile, in Los Angeles, the Kings did a 4.8 rating (268,800 homes).

A 4.8 rating for a Game 7 that put the Kings in the Stanley Cup Final? Are you kidding? The Blackhawks do better than that for a regular-season game against Carolina.

What about the Rangers? Their Game 6 clincher over Montreal did an 8.5 rating (620,500 homes) in New York Thursday.

New York is an Original 6 town, and it can’t break double-digits for a game that puts the Rangers in the Stanley Cup Final for the first time in 20 years? Are you kidding, part 2?

No, these aren’t passionate hockey towns. However, New York and Los Angeles still will deliver viewers just because of the sheer size of the nation’s No. 1 and 2 markets.

- See more at: http://www.shermanre...h.qkqorNkW.dpuf

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#2343 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

I guess what they're banking on is more of a jumpstart in these markets, and not necessarily immediate demand/success. To the NHL's credit, I do see random ass people on my Facebook who are not concerned with hockey calling the LA-NY series "intriguing". CHI-NY might have given them more ratings in the here and now, but I guess this is what they would have wanted in the long run.

#2344 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

I guess what they're banking on is more of a jumpstart in these markets, and not necessarily immediate demand/success. To the NHL's credit, I do see random ass people on my Facebook who are not concerned with hockey calling the LA-NY series "intriguing". CHI-NY might have given them more ratings in the here and now, but I guess this is what they would have wanted in the long run.

That's what they have going for them. The geographical intrigue, but NHL ratings are pretty much connected to the local TV numbers they get. Chicago are the Kings and Boston, Pitt, Philly have been good to them too.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#2345 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,051 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

But correct me if I'm wrong, but there've been other Conference Finals game 7 OTs right???

Not since '94, that was the excuse for bringing it up.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#2346 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

Annoying for us or not, it's a good excuse to bring up. Game 7 OTs have been really rare in hockey after the 1st round. 

logokx.jpg

#2347 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Are people still upset that the Kings beat the Devils in the playoffs 2 years ago?  I mean they were a really good team and they just played better for the Devils.  Outside the questionable call ing ame 6 (which is 100% on the refs), I do not think the Kings really did anything dirty or played in a way that would make us hate them.

I actually have and will like the Kings and I really hope they do win.  They are my 3rd favorite western team after Dallas and St. Louis.

Yeah, I really don't have any hate for the Kings. I didn't dislike them in 2012 either. They were a great team and the Devils were playing with house money in the finals. I was shocked that we were still playing in June.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#2348 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

Annoying for us or not, it's a good excuse to bring up. Game 7 OTs have been really rare in hockey after the 1st round. 

That makes sense, I could've sworn there were others, but I guess I'm wrong... Pretty hard to believe that was the last time, didn't realize they were so rare, now looking back.

#2349 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

Don't forget this L.A. King team was built with help from Lou Lam's

Dean Lombardi sat down with Lou when he took over that team and got a plan how to build a "team'

well done Dean

#2350 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

This would be a black eye for the league, having the two biggest TV markets in the finals, and ratings are LOWER than last year.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#2351 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, I got over 2012 earlier this year. LA is one hell of a hockey team, it's hard not to like them. They play gritty hockey and they play it the right way. The polar opposite of Montreal, I think New York is in for a rude awakening.

Not taking anything away from their team or their style of play.  They are a well built team and entertaining to watch.  But I just don't like Quick (I think he's vastly overrated), was never a fan of Carter or Richards from their time with the Flyers, and based upon some experiences I had in dealing with their "fans" during the 90's and again in 2012, I just don't like LA as a team or as a city in general.  My dislike of just about everything LA has almost nothing to do with the 2012 Finals loss, but that's just me.

Posted Image

#2352 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

This would be a black eye for the league, having the two biggest TV markets in the finals, and ratings are LOWER than last year.

I wouldnt trust the numbers, with the rags in the finals they will fudge the ratings to an all time best ever totally fantastic number

#2353 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

And he's been straight garbage the last three games too.  It's the complete inverse of 2012, now the team's bailing him out.

Did you miss the save he made with 8.2 seconds left? Quick hasn't been as sharp during this run but is clutch. I'd have preferred Crawford and the Hawks.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#2354 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

The Rangers played 1 less game then them so I don't think that's it's gonna be a deciding factor in the series.

At this point, that's irrelevant. Given how spread out it is, there's plenty of time to recover. The biggest advantage LA has is their size. They're very physical. That combination of strength and skill will be very difficult for the Rangers to handle. It'll be a true test for our D. They need a better series out of Staal. He struggled badly against Montreal. The Kings also boast the best center depth. They are lethal in the faceoff circle. Kopitar. Carter. Richards. Stoll. That's scary.

On paper, LA is a bad match-up. However, series are won on the ice and in the trenches. This Rangers team has more heart than any I've seen. If they can forecheck the Kings and put pressure on Doughty, they have a shot. Obviously, Lundqvist has to outplay Quick. Probably has to steal a couple. I agree with Milbury. He said they must come out and get Game 1. Pretty much.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#2355 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

At this point, that's irrelevant. Given how spread out it is, there's plenty of time to recover. The biggest advantage LA has is their size. They're very physical. That combination of strength and skill will be very difficult for the Rangers to handle. It'll be a true test for our D. They need a better series out of Staal. He struggled badly against Montreal. The Kings also boast the best center depth. They are lethal in the faceoff circle. Kopitar. Carter. Richards. Stoll. That's scary.

On paper, LA is a bad match-up. However, series are won on the ice and in the trenches. This Rangers team has more heart than any I've seen. If they can forecheck the Kings and put pressure on Doughty, they have a shot. Obviously, Lundqvist has to outplay Quick. Probably has to steal a couple. I agree with Milbury. He said they must come out and get Game 1. Pretty much.

It's easy to say that now that there in the Finals, but I don't buy that. What did the 2012 team lack in effort or "heart". Torts had all 5 skaters on the ice playing goalie all game. I remember someone tweeted at the time saying, "why do we need so much goalie equipment when the Rangers have 5 guys on the ice happy to sacrifice their body without any." The Rangers are here now because they have been a lot better than past teams.

Good luck to your team especially getting to Doughty, but if the Kings lose this series, it won't be because they were outhearted or outwhatever insert intangible cliche here.

Edited by devilsrule33, 02 June 2014 - 03:24 PM.

logokx.jpg

#2356 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

This Rangers team has more heart than any I've seen.

I agree with devilsrule33, New York's 2012 team had plenty of heart too. Maybe more heart than this year's (but less skill). Your 2012 team never quit. Look at your roster now though, it's stacked.

Good money was paid, good deals were made and you have a team with Nash, Richards, Martin St Louis, McDonaugh, one of the league's best goaltenders, and fast kids who'll be hitting pay day next year. I know every star (Richards, Nash, etc.) seems to devalue in the eyes of Rangers fans as soon as NYR puts pen to paper and they play a bad game or bad month, but let's call a spade a spade, these were headline-grabbing signings at the time; the Rangers aren't some lunchpail blue collar underdog team. I don't think they're any less stacked than LA; on paper, LA may even have less superstars (in my opinion), but it's their system that reigns. Their system beat probably the most stacked team in the league and can probably beat anyone at this rate. What will win it for NY will be Lundqvist. Can he steal a series? Or steal a game or two, enough to frustrate the Kings/get in their heads? A Cup win starts and ends with him, no matter how stacked the team in the Finals is. LA's "team" and system is that good, and Lundqvist is the x-factor.

Edited by DJ Eco, 02 June 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#2357 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

Did you miss the save he made with 8.2 seconds left? Quick hasn't been as sharp during this run but is clutch. I'd have preferred Crawford and the Hawks.

I agree. Quick's (and Crawford's) numbers only took a hit because they mutually faced just about the toughest offensive opponents in the league, in each other. That's reason number 1 I have the Kings winning the Cup, because let's face it, the Rangers haven't been playing at the level the Kings' previous three rounds of opponents have. The Rangers will only win if Lundqvist finds yet another gear (he's been terrific overall), or if injury/tiredness becomes a major factor with the Kings, which I don't think it will (NY's only played one less game than LA).

#2358 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

Don't forget this L.A. King team was built with help from Lou Lam's

Dean Lombardi sat down with Lou when he took over that team and got a plan how to build a "team'

well done Dean

Maybe Dean can refresh Lou's memory on how it's done.

And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#2359 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

Maybe Dean can refresh Lou's memory on how it's done.

Lou told Dean..."Do as I say...not as I do" !!!!

#2360 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

I agree with devilsrule33, New York's 2012 team had plenty of heart too. Maybe more heart than this year's (but less skill). Your 2012 team never quit. Look at your roster now though, it's stacked.

Good money was paid, good deals were made and you have a team with Nash, Richards, Martin St Louis, McDonaugh, one of the league's best goaltenders, and fast kids who'll be hitting pay day next year. I know every star (Richards, Nash, etc.) seems to devalue in the eyes of Rangers fans as soon as NYR puts pen to paper and they play a bad game or bad month, but let's call a spade a spade, these were headline-grabbing signings at the time; the Rangers aren't some lunchpail blue collar underdog team. I don't think they're any less stacked than LA; on paper, LA may even have less superstars (in my opinion), but it's their system that reigns. Their system beat probably the most stacked team in the league and can probably beat anyone at this rate. What will win it for NY will be Lundqvist. Can he steal a series? Or steal a game or two, enough to frustrate the Kings/get in their heads? A Cup win starts and ends with him, no matter how stacked the team in the Finals is. LA's "team" and system is that good, and Lundqvist is the x-factor.

NHL.com pretty much stated my point a bit more eloquently, but point for point... http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

KINGS WILL WIN IF … They use their size and grit. This is not a team that wins pretty; it is a team that wears down other teams, using a long series to grind up and beat up an opponent. Each round, the Kings have found a weakness in their opponent, and then they spent the rest of the series exploiting it. Heading into this series, it appears the Kings will have a physical advantage, and they must exploit it from the very beginning to slow down the Rangers and make them less effective.

RANGERS WILL WIN IF … Lundqvist is able to steal some games and the Rangers are able to use their speed to their advantage. Lundqvist and overall team speed might be the only advantages the Rangers have. Their defense will be pressed harder in the Cup Final than in any of the three previous rounds. New York doesn't have the center depth to match up in this series. However, the Rangers will stay in games and give themselves a chance if Lundqvist is on his game, McDonagh is the best skater on the ice, they forecheck hard and play fast, which starts by setting the tone early.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users