2364 replies to this topic

#821 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:57 AM

I doubt he is the first and the last NJ governor who is a Rags fan.  He just gets it more because of his actions in office (both good and bad) and has made a lot of enemies.

He grew up in a time when the Devils didn't exist yet or when they were brand new.  Can't fault him for remaining a Rags fan at that point.  If he switched allegiances he will get it for abandoning his old team and if he sticks to the Rags like he did, well look at the flack he gets now.  He is in a catch 22.

Rex Ryan has been caught wearing the jersey of at least 3 different teams including the Devils yet he doesn't catch as much sh!t as Christie does.

This exactly.

Ryan is actually a Maple Leafs fan as he did most of his growing up in Toronto. He's a huge hockey fan though and a big jersey collector...so he attends a lot of games when he can and they just give him the jersey of whatever the home team is and he just adds it to his collection. 

Edited by '7', 05 May 2014 - 09:01 AM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#822 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

So do what I would do and root for the other team just to spite the old man lol. Maybe the message will become clear at that point. Again, my mother worked at MSG and was a Rangers fan for a long time... Even as a kid, I wasn't having that sh!t. I flat-out said it- the Devils are my team. Deal with it. Now she's a die-hard Devils fan too and has been for over 20 years.

thats kind of funny man.. growing up my parents were divorced.. my dad isnt really a sports guy but he use to get devils tickets from work and would take me and and thats how i got into it.. so i remember for christmas one year my mother got me a gretzky rangers jersey..i dont know what she was thinking i was probably 9 or 10 i was pissed and made sure she knew it.. through it in the closet and never wore it once.. she knew the deal after that.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#823 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,751 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

thats kind of funny man.. growing up my parents were divorced.. my dad isnt really a sports guy but he use to get devils tickets from work and would take me and and thats how i got into it.. so i remember for christmas one year my mother got me a gretzky rangers jersey..i dont know what she was thinking i was probably 9 or 10 i was pissed and made sure she knew it.. through it in the closet and never wore it once.. she knew the deal after that.

If someone ever gave me one of those disgusting blue sh!t-cloths, I would've burned it to prove a point.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#824 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,281 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

lol I think she meant well though.  She probably saw you were into hockey and so Gretzky was a big name back then and it was a local team so she thought she covered all the bases.  Either that or someone at the store talked her into it.

#825 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,732 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

lol I think she meant well though.  She probably saw you were into hockey and so Gretzky was a big name back then and it was a local team so she thought she covered all the bases.  Either that or someone at the store talked her into it.

Yeah, not all parents are tuned in.  My wife's parents have always been clueless as to what's in.  They once bought her older brother a New Kids on the Block album (in 1989...he was 14 at the time) for Xmas, because they saw that they were getting a lot of attention.  They didn't know anything else about them other than that.  Her brother was like "WTF, are you KIDDING me?!" 

My parents were actually pretty aware...they were much more up on the in stuff.  But a lot of parents aren't.  A lot of them either don't make the effort or simply don't keep up.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#826 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

Ryan is actually a Maple Leafs fan as he did most of his growing up in Toronto. He's a huge hockey fan though and a big jersey collector...so he attends a lot of games when he can and they just give him the jersey of whatever the home team is and he just adds it to his collection. 

What he does is actually the most graceful respectful way to go about the situation, wear the home team jersey. Unlike our "Jersey pride" governor who is outspoken about his love for the Broadway Blueshirts.

Yeah, I imagine buying a kid a Gretzky jersey was akin to buying a kid a Michael Jordan jersey back then.

#827 bostondevil11

bostondevil11

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

What he does is actually the most graceful respectful way to go about the situation, wear the home team jersey. Unlike our "Jersey pride" governor who is outspoken about his love for the Broadway Blueshirts.

The way the Gov should of went about it was say I grew up a Rangers fan so am kind of torn.  He is a politician after all we know he can lie.

#828 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,281 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

And if Christie switched allegiances he would have been attacked for switching them.  He really is in a cannot-win situation with this and it is probably the lesser of two evils to just stick with the team he grew up cheering.

#829 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

iam from New York (state not city..i live in rockland county) so 9 times out of 10 iam the black sheep whenever hockey gets brought up everyone is a rangers fan and iam left being the only devils fan usually.. but living in ny thats pretty much expected..however i feel like more and more a lot of people in nj are rangers fans as well..they just seem to have such a large fan base and now that they have a descent team and our team sucks thats not going to help anything.

I grew up in Rockland, and was a Rags fan 'cuz my Dad was.  When friends & I wanted to get hammered & see some games, it was too expensive to get into NYC (the GWB was $2.00, lol).

So we went to the Meadowlands for some games.  It was quick to get there, parking was $3.00, so everybody but the driver kicked in a buck, and we got home super fast since we did not get stuck on Rte 3 West. That was in 1987-88 when the Devs had their great run...and we all became Devs fans & still are to this day !

Best. Decision. Ever.

5 Finals & 3 Cups !!!!!!

Edited by BlueSkirt, 05 May 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#830 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:15 PM

I grew up in Rockland, and was a Rags fan 'cuz my Dad was. When friends & I wanted to get hammered & see some games, it was too expensive to get into NYC (the GWB was $2.00, lol).
So we went to the Meadowlands for some games. It was quick to get there, parking was $3.00, so everybody but the driver kicked in a buck, and we got home super fast since we did not get stuck on Rte 3 West. That was in 1987-88 when the Devs had their great run...and we all became Devs fans & still are to this day !

Best. Decision. Ever.
5 Finals & 3 Cups !!!!!!

haha two bucks to cross the bridge geeze what is it now twenty.. cool story man sounds like those were the days

Edited by 2ELIAS6, 05 May 2014 - 12:16 PM.

believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#831 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

I also grew up in a family of Giants fans... You see how that worked out lol.

So why did you pick rooting for Miami over the Jets then lol

Edited by NJDevs4978, 05 May 2014 - 12:55 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#832 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,751 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

So why did you pick rooting for Miami over the Jets then lol

I became a Fins fan because of Marino, Shula, and I've been going to South Florida since I was 6 months old (lots of family in the area). So they became my team as a kid and it stayed that way. I never felt any attachment whatsoever to either of the local teams because they were NY teams (even though they play in NJ). They're still NY teams, and they'll always be NY teams. I hate that they both play in Jersey.

#833 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

And if Christie switched allegiances he would have been attacked for switching them.  He really is in a cannot-win situation with this and it is probably the lesser of two evils to just stick with the team he grew up cheering.

I disagree. It would've been perfectly acceptable -- and even expected -- for him to root for the Jersey teams. Especially seeing as how he is such a pro-Jersey guy in most other aspects. I don't think anyone would've attacked him for switching his teams, except for maybe a few close friends. Other than that, who would've even known for whom he used to root?

But, no, he goes out of his way to show his allegiance to the Rangers and Cowboys. It really gets grating at times.

This isn't a political thing, BTW.

Edited by 95Crash, 05 May 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#834 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,281 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

I disagree. It would've been perfectly acceptable -- and even expected -- for him to root for the Jersey teams. Especially seeing as how he is such a pro-Jersey guy in most other aspects. I don't think anyone would've attacked him for switching his teams, except for maybe a few close friends. Other than that, who would've even known for whom he used to root?

But, no, he goes out of his way to show his allegiance to the Rangers and Cowboys. It really gets grating at times.

This isn't a political thing, BTW.

lol yes it is.  He gets attacked for anything and everything.  Some he deserves and some he doesn't.  If he would have switched allegiences after he was elected governor he would have never heard the end of it from the press.

It's not like he is bashing the Devils in his speeches.  He has many times given kudos and spoke well for the Devils franchise and the arena like any other governor of NJ would. 

#835 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

lol yes it is.  He gets attacked for anything and everything.  Some he deserves and some he doesn't.  If he would have switched allegiences after he was elected governor he would have never heard the end of it from the press.

It's not like he is bashing the Devils in his speeches.  He has many times given kudos and spoke well for the Devils franchise and the arena like any other governor of NJ would. 

Well he did sentence Luke and the gang to death via Sarlac Pit.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#836 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

But Christie is only getting criticized in these types of threads because he is so vocal in his support of the Rangers. Are you saying that the only people that are bothered by it are those who are against him politically? I don't believe that to be true.

Christine Todd Whitman, another Republican, was very visible in her support of the Devils in all of her years in office and even afterward. I don't remember anyone ever asking her who she supported before there was a Devils team. It obviously couldn't have been the Devils.

Hell, we had people in these threads criticizing Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes for showing up at the Yankees Stadium game wearing Rangers jerseys.

Edited by 95Crash, 05 May 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#837 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:42 PM

But Christie is only getting criticized in these types of threads because he is so vocal in his support of the Rangers. Are you saying that the only people that are bothered by it are those who are against him politically? I don't believe that to be true.

Christine Todd Whitman, another Republican, was very visible in her support of the Devils in all of her years in office and even afterward. I don't remember anyone ever asking her who she supported before there was a Devils team. It obviously couldn't have been the Devils.

Hell, we had people in these threads criticizing Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes for showing up at the Yankees Stadium game wearing Rangers jerseys.

So the moral of this story is everyone can go fvck themselves.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#838 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

our playoff thread totally turned into a thread about chris christie
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#839 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,751 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

Well then let's get it back on track- Crosby is on the board, finally. 1-0 Pittsburgh.

#840 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

i think this was going to be crosby's 13th game in a row no goal..
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users