2364 replies to this topic

#1941 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,341 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:00 AM

So a Devils fan called up Boomer and Carton to call out the Queen... Boomer jumped on him and said he 'didn't wanna hear any Lundqvist-Brodeur comparisons' (which the Devils fan didn't even make in the first place, but the truth hurts I guess), and they hung up on the guy. Fairly typical.

Edited by MadDog2020, 28 May 2014 - 06:02 AM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1942 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:01 AM

Last night had that "blow our wad" feel...wouldn't surprise me if friggin' Montreal gets shut out in the next game and loses 3-0 or 4-0.  Hope not. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1943 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,341 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:03 AM

Last night had that "blow our wad" feel...wouldn't surprise me if friggin' Montreal gets shut out in the next game and loses 3-0 or 4-0. Hope not.

I'm expecting just that... But hoping for the best.

#1944 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,341 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

Btw- if this was the Devils (or anyone who isn't the Rangers) playing the Habs, I highly, highly doubt that there would be this embellishment outrage from everyone. Carolina would dive around like it was their jobs every year, but no one anywhere said a word about that.

Edited by MadDog2020, 28 May 2014 - 06:18 AM.

#1945 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

So a Devils fan called up Boomer and Carton to call out the Queen... Boomer jumped on him and said he 'didn't wanna hear any Queen-Brodeur comparisons' (which the Devils fan didn't even make in the first place, but the truth hurts I guess), and they hung up on the guy. Fairly typical.

Of course he didn't.  How could he?  Obviously it's a team game, and goalies tend to get too much of the credit and the blame, but at the very least, Henrik's got to either get his team into the SCF, or play so well in Game 6 or Game 7, that, if the Rangers don't get there, he can't really be faulted. 

But one guy has been to six ECF, helped his team win five of them, and then helped his team win three Cups beyond that. 

For whatever this is worth (and it's probably not worth much, as it's definitely cherry-picking), Marty has a .922 save% in 6 ECFs:

1994:  7 games, 259 Shots, 242 Saves, .934

1995:  6 games, 117 Shots, 103 Saves, .880 (Easy to forget how Lemieux's goal late in Game 5 really impacted that series)

2000:  7 games, 169 Shots, 154 Saves, .911

2001:  5 games, 99 Shots, 92 Saves, .929

2003:  7 games, 191 Shots, 178 Saves, .932

2012:  6 games, 165 Shots, 153 Saves, .927

Henrik is at .915 in his two ECFs so far (.918 in 2012, .912 so far in this series), and we know what happened in 2012...Marty outplayed him, not by a massive margin, but enough of one.  So even though Henrik is currently one of the NHL's top goalies, and hasn't always had great teams around him, to try to compare him to Marty at this stage in his career is probably futile.  If he helps his team win the ECF and then the Cup, where he is clearly the difference-maker, you can at least start a conversation I guess, though Marty's prime basically lasted into his late 30s.  No one knows if Lundqvist's will as well.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 28 May 2014 - 06:36 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1946 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

So even though Henrik is currently one of the NHL's top goalies, and hasn't always had great teams around him, to try to compare him to Marty at this stage in his career is probably futile

IIRC Henrik has a .940+ sv% in elimination games or somesuch. But he played for some hilariously inept Rangers teams too (when it comes to offense) and you could argue they've only been somewhat legit for the past three years. And even then, the 2011 team wasn't that good. How many of the teams in front of Marty (that went to ECF or better) were worse than this year's Rangers? 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#1947 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

IIRC Henrik has a .940+ sv% in elimination games or somesuch. But he played for some hilariously inept Rangers teams too (when it comes to offense) and you could argue they've only been somewhat legit for the past three years. And even then, the 2011 team wasn't that good. How many of the teams in front of Marty (that went to ECF or better) were worse than this year's Rangers? 

That's part of the reason why I think it's hard to compare them...one book has already been written, the other has a ways to go.  Not that I want to see this, but what if the Rangers improve and put some terrific teams in front of Lundqvist the next four or five years?   

What is fair to say is that, when Marty helped his team win their three Cups, he wasn't along for the ride, and the team wasn't succeeding in spite of him.  He was great overall in all three runs.  Henrik hasn't been a bad playoff goalie (he has NOT really been the problem in the last three seasons), and it's true that he hasn't exactly played behind world-beaters.  Even Hasek showed that a terrific goalie can only do so much, if other pieces aren't there.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1948 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

GrayWelltodoGrasshopper.gif

Dorsett that motherfvcker!

#1949 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

GrayWelltodoGrasshopper.gif

Dorsett that motherfvcker!

thats a low blow, even Zuccarello helped the kid up.

Edited by The 29th Pick, 28 May 2014 - 10:45 AM.

#1950 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

So a Devils fan called up Boomer and Carton to call out the Queen... Boomer jumped on him and said he 'didn't wanna hear any Lundqvist-Brodeur comparisons' (which the Devils fan didn't even make in the first place, but the truth hurts I guess), and they hung up on the guy. Fairly typical.

Why call in to call out the Queen? How fvcking pathetic is that for any Devils fan to do. Boomer had every right to go that route. Mid-series too. If Lundqvist blows Game 6 and 7, well go nuts, but Brodeur has had his share of brutal games before a series ended, and sometimes he came up strong the next one, and sometimes he didn't, but wait until the series is over to call out Lundqvist.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1951 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

Why call in to call out the Queen? How fvcking pathetic is that for any Devils fan to do. Boomer had every right to go that route. Mid-series too. If Lundqvist blows Game 6 and 7, well go nuts, but Brodeur has had his share of brutal games before a series ended, and sometimes he came up strong the next one, and sometimes he didn't, but wait until the series is over to call out Lundqvist.

Yeah, I agree. It's a bad look, unless they lose the series. Until then, we should stay off the radiowaves or airwaves of sports talk shows. It's one thing to wear your Devils hat/gear around proudly, but it's another to proactively call a radio show like that and stir the pot; wouldn't surprise me that Boomer would react unfavorably, caller's an easy target.

#1952 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

thats a low blow, even Zuccarello helped the kid up.

More from Dorsett:

3126ceb0-e617-11e3-9e47-cd9c2847d418_854

#1953 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

More from Dorsett:

3126ceb0-e617-11e3-9e47-cd9c2847d418_854

I can see him doing this stuff, but throwing snow on a little kid is BS

#1954 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

1 game at a time.  We'll see how this plays out. 

Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#1955 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

really hope they can atleast push to a game seven.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#1956 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

I can see him doing this stuff, but throwing snow on a little kid is BS

ovie did that a few years back if i recall. sparked a multi-day outrage and then he apologized or the kid didnt care or something.

i dunno, brain's kinda fried.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#1957 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,341 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

John Moore gets two games: http://m.tsn.ca/home...me&feedId=82009

#1958 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

3-1 hawks.. i like the fight to stay alive here
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#1959 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,119 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

3-2

When the Kings have an odd man rush it looks like 3 linebackers attacking a QB. I've never seen something like this

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1960 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,119 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

3-3

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users