46 replies to this topic

#41 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

Already we know he's ignorant of what makes goalies good, so that's one strike against him.  What ^7^ said is correct, if he wants to be in a management type position, he should have to study a lot first.  These teams that are just naming former greats are playing with fire.

The biggest strike against him is that it could prove very difficult to fire him if he turns out to be a disaster.  I suspect that's one of the reasons why the Rangers did not give the head coach job to Messier.  So yeah, he really needs to build up some kind of track record somewhere else, although I'm not sure how former greats get experience with front office positions... is there the equivalent of a GM position for junior teams that comes kind of close to what an NHL GM has to do? 

Whether he actually knows what makes goalies good, or how to evaluate one, probably doesn't have much to do with him saying that all that matters to him are wins, or at least that's what I think you're getting at.  Outside of players like Luongo or Bryz, you're going to be hard pressed to find a goalie that says, "look at my save percentage, I'm really not that good anymore".  For a guy that just wants to play, he'll look for anything positive to throw out there. 

All this said, he'd be much better served being a television analyst.  So would Devils fans.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#42 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

The biggest strike against him is that it could prove very difficult to fire him if he turns out to be a disaster.  I suspect that's one of the reasons why the Rangers did not give the head coach job to Messier.  So yeah, he really needs to build up some kind of track record somewhere else, although I'm not sure how former greats get experience with front office positions... is there the equivalent of a GM position for junior teams that comes kind of close to what an NHL GM has to do? 

Whether he actually knows what makes goalies good, or how to evaluate one, probably doesn't have much to do with him saying that all that matters to him are wins, or at least that's what I think you're getting at.  Outside of players like Luongo or Bryz, you're going to be hard pressed to find a goalie that says, "look at my save percentage, I'm really not that good anymore".  For a guy that just wants to play, he'll look for anything positive to throw out there. 

All this said, he'd be much better served being a television analyst.  So would Devils fans.

I believe Yzerman spent some time as vice president of the Wings and according to wikipedia he was an "alternate governor" there as well. That gave him time to do the "how things work" behind the scenes stuff before putting together several Team Canada teams and then joining the Lightning. So if Marty is looking to head in that direction, maybe he gets some sort of job like that from the Devils when he calls it a career.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#43 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

Dear god Marty in Management?  Pizza and blowjobs for everyone!  whoohoo!

I'm here for the party

#44 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

What do you mean by... everyone ? 

#45 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

Well.... you'll have to talk to Marty about that -- and DO NOT make fun of his accent....

I'm here for the party

#46 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

oh wow what a great joke.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#47 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

Hopefully he'd start by firing our defensive coach.

gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users