130 replies to this topic

#81 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

Eh, I don't think Brunner is terrible. I think he has a lot of creativity he didn't show much of until the end of the year especially after we'd been eliminated. I hope we get to see him in the playoffs in a devils Jersey

At this point, Brunner is the kind of guy you waive, and nobody ends up claiming.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#82 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

Look at this way...Brunner needed a tryout just to get a contract.  Based on what he did this past year, think the other 29 teams that all passed on signing him are any more enthusiastic about him this season?

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#83 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

Brunner has speed, stick skill and a nice shot. He has looked good towards the end, potential there. Ryder is a dude, kind of like Ryan Howard(mlb) either he hits the HR or he Strikes out.

#84 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,410 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

What a poor analogy ^ I have no idea who you are talking about.

Brunner has a lot of potential he just needs better work habits.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#85 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

What Brunner needs is more hockey sense, could be waiting awhile for that to kick in.

#86 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

What Brunner needs is more hockey sense, could be waiting awhile for that to kick in.

and maybe some more confidence and a sense of direction.. so many times this season i thought to myself how lost this guy has looked out there.. it was strange he had a string of games where he was on fire and then for such a long time he was a complete ghost like he didnt exist out there.. i dont know, not the type of player we need around here though ..that isnt going to cut it for us
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#87 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

TSN's Final Power Rankings of 2014

(as of April 14, 2014)

1 Boston
2 Chicago
3 San Jose
4 Pittsburgh
5 St. Louis
6 Colorado
7 Anaheim
8 Los Angeles
9 New York
10 Dallas
11 Montreal
12 Philadelphia
13 Minnesota
14 Columbus
15 New Jersey
16 Detroit

New Jersey Devils (35-29-18)

This Week 15

Last Week 19

Welcome to the best non-playoff team in the league this season, a Devils team with strong possession stats, a positive goal differential and a spectacularly abymsal 0-13 shootout record that made their overall record look far less impressive.

http://www.tsn.ca/fa...s/rankings/nhl/

#88 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

I'm willing to give Brunner a bit of a pass this year simply because he was injured so much that I can imagine it being hard to constantly have to readjust to the system and his linemates each time he came back.

I feel like he never played enough games in a row for anything to become automatic.

Having said that, he was the only player who Pete Deboer kind of called out for a lack of intensity. That worries me.

Edited by devils102, 15 April 2014 - 08:55 PM.

Posted Image

#89 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

he was probably a bum in practice too
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#90 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

I'm willing to give Brunner a bit of a pass this year simply because he was injured so much that I can imagine it being hard to constantly have to readjust to the system and his linemates each time he came back.

I feel like he never played enough games in a row for anything to become automatic.

Having said that, he was the only player who Pete Deboer kind of called out for a lack of intensity. That worries me.

He was also healthy-scratched at times.  Not all of his missed games were due to injury.

I wonder is Brunner is one of those guys PDB basically tells Lou to trade if possible, that Brunner is simply a player that PDB can't work with.   

Re:  potential with Brunner, again, he's not a 22 or 23-year-old kid.  He's already 28.  And what still sticks out to me is that he couldn't find a job until just before the start of the regular season.  Guys do fall through the cracks from time to time, no question, and under the circumstances, I fully get why Lou rolled the dice on him, but his first season with the Devils almost seem the validate the teams that thought "Yeah, had a feeling he wouldn't do much.  We didn't miss out on anything."

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#91 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

If you had to pick, would you rather have Brunner or Ryder? Tough question. Both need a center with good vision.

I'd lean Ryder just because of the proven track record.

#92 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

Brunner was getting alot better at playing our system near the end. I mean he' still a weak little dude but he was hard on the boards alot from what I saw in the last handful of games. That alone tilts me in favor of a brunner over a ryder.

Ryder is clearly a more proven goal scorer, but Brunner seemingly to me is the better over all player. They both suck in the defensive zone though.

#93 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

I'd rather take Brunner based on the better possession player. All Ryder can do is take a shot and needs to be hand fed the puck. At least with Brunner he is fast and can hold onto the puck long enough and he's younger. If he could get a 20 goal season next year it will be great, maybe he will show up to camp with more determination.

Edited by Zubie#8, 16 April 2014 - 11:16 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#94 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,620 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

He was also healthy-scratched at times.  Not all of his missed games were due to injury.

I wonder is Brunner is one of those guys PDB basically tells Lou to trade if possible, that Brunner is simply a player that PDB can't work with.   

Re:  potential with Brunner, again, he's not a 22 or 23-year-old kid.  He's already 28.  And what still sticks out to me is that he couldn't find a job until just before the start of the regular season.  Guys do fall through the cracks from time to time, no question, and under the circumstances, I fully get why Lou rolled the dice on him, but his first season with the Devils almost seem the validate the teams that thought "Yeah, had a feeling he wouldn't do much.  We didn't miss out on anything."

He probably couldn't find a job because he had certain contract requirements.  It's not like NJ signed him for a 1 year, $1M deal - he got a multi year deal coming out of training camp, and was paid higher than the NHL average too.  I'm sure if he wanted a one year deal somewhere he could've gotten one.  

His April gives some hope that he can slide in here someday - 19 shots in 7 games.  There's clearly a talented player in there, it's just not clear whether Brunner will figure out the finer points of the game.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#95 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

I think I rather have ryder.. when brunner goes missing he really goes missing and for long periods at a time.. only our luck that both of them happened to turn out to be basically a waste
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#96 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

I like Brunner more than Ryder. He's younger and is a better puck handler. His assets outweigh his tendencies or limitations defensively and in fairness to Deboer he started giving Brunner more time with the work he was putting in and some confidence. Ryder is just so much more one dimensional than I expected and his skating has only gotten worse.

I also don't think Brunner, he really got fully up to speed after the knee issues. He was a burner early in the season and never quite returned with that same quickness and burst which hurt us since we are already a rather slow team in transition. I'd gladly go with Brunner than Ryder, I just don't know if we can dump Ryder at all.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#97 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

I think I rather have ryder.. when brunner goes missing he really goes missing and for long periods at a time.. only our luck that both of them happened to turn out to be basically a waste

Ryder went missing for more than a third of the season. He isn't much better than Brunner defensively either. At least Brunner has some quickness.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

#98 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,904 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Well with the Ryder and brunner discussion this thread has certainly turned into a Sophie's Choice of suckage.

#99 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Both Bernier and Ryder killed the Devils this year with their play and inability as guys who could be relied on more in shoutout situations.

Winger is still a huge need for this team even if you think Boucher and Matteau could become players in the next year or two. Clowe is also a major worry going forward with these concussions and the trio of Elias, Jagr, and Zubrus are right at the end of their careers and risks with age. Moving Henrique to wing might help soften the blow but opens up the need for another centerman. Lots of issues still at forward and with the 4th line needing a reshuffle.

#100 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

When was the last time Brunner was a healthy scratch.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users