• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

Typical.  Appreciation thread turns into another bashing thread.  :mad:

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#63 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

Typical. Appreciation thread turns into another bashing thread. :mad:

Who's bashing? I swear you pull this crap all the time by seeing things that aren't there or happening. All this so you can come here and feel high and mighty. Stop it already.

#64 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

No there were a few people bashing the misspelling of Brodeur but honestly I can't blame them.  It's embarassing to have his name misspelled in a tribute thread on one of the leading Devil fan message boards, and when it was gently pointed out to the op he didn't care and laughed about it without changing it until a couple more people had more biting posts about it.

#65 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

Since there's no way I could say it better, I'll just leave this here http://devilsrule.co...tart=40#p193172

Wow, talk about disillusioned..

I'm almost certain that's actually Marty himself writing that comment. Must be.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#66 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,582 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:08 AM

I stil cringe at Neidermayer. Fun fact: I bought on of those knockoff Cup shirts for like $5 from the guys outside of the CAA after the 2003 parade and I absolutely loved the fact that it had the roster on it - until I got to NEIdermayer's name. Woops.

At least it was only $5.

Edited by Weekes Head, 18 April 2014 - 01:18 AM.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#67 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

Typical.  Appreciation thread turns into another bashing thread.  :mad:

Just a little gentle ribbing, that's all

#68 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Spelling mistakes on a message board shouldn't be a big deal. We're not getting graded or awarded for these posts. The only reason I don't have many spelling mistakes is because my browser corrects me. My grammar on the other hand...

#69 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

Spelling mistakes on a message board shouldn't be a big deal. We're not getting graded or awarded for these posts. The only reason I don't have many spelling mistakes is because my browser corrects me. My grammar on the other hand...

I'm probably more picky about spelling than most people (maybe I'm just bitter because in elementary school they told us we should desire a career in something we are good in so I wanted to be a speller, and then in middle school there was no more spelling class :angry:) but come on, how many times do we see the players' names spelled out in front of us, especially Martin Brodeur?  Over the past twenty years we've all seen hundreds of his games with his name typed out on the screen or stitched across his jersey, we've been to games and seen hundreds of Brodeur jerseys in the stands, and he has been mentioned on this site and whatever other Devils forums or blogs we read a billion times.  With everything he has done for this franchise, I think he deserves to have his name spelled correctly by now, especially by Devils fans in an appreciation thread.  It's not like he misspelled some rarely used word that you only see in spelling bees, this is the face of our franchise we're talking about.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#70 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

I'm probably more picky about spelling than most people (maybe I'm just bitter because in elementary school they told us we should desire a career in something we are good in so I wanted to be a speller, and then in middle school there was no more spelling class :angry:) but come on, how many times do we see the players' names spelled out in front of us, especially Martin Brodeur?  Over the past twenty years we've all seen hundreds of his games with his name typed out on the screen or stitched across his jersey, we've been to games and seen hundreds of Brodeur jerseys in the stands, and he has been mentioned on this site and whatever other Devils forums or blogs we read a billion times.  With everything he has done for this franchise, I think he deserves to have his name spelled correctly by now, especially by Devils fans in an appreciation thread.  It's not like he misspelled some rarely used word that you only see in spelling bees, this is the face of our franchise we're talking about.

Eh. He just flipped two letters. It's not like it was dramatically misspelled. They should have an auto-correct feature for Brodeur like when you type out Єklund (2.3% accurate). Are those numbers still accurate?

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 18 April 2014 - 12:17 PM.

#71 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

You are all also forgetting that purposely misspelling players names have been part of the OP's schtick forever.

#72 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

You are all also forgetting that purposely misspelling players names have been part of the OP's schtick forever.

That I didn't know about.

#73 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

You sure he does it on purpose?

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#74 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

Eh. He just flipped two letters. It's not like it was dramatically misspelled. They should have an auto-correct feature for Brodeur like when you type out Єklund (2.3% accurate). Are those numbers still accurate?

I'd say it's a bit higher. He totally called the Moulson to Minnesota deal hours before anyone got wind of it; that was a biggie.

#75 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

You sure he does it on purpose?

He has spelled many players name wrong on many, if not all, of his posts.  He constantly puts Zajac as Zajak and when people point it out to him, he always gives the same responses:

1) Spelling is not as big of a deal as their play on the ice

or

2) Who cares how I spell them if they are not doing well they do not deserve to have their name spelled right.

At this point it's on purpose and has been for a long time.

#76 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,738 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

I'd say it's a bit higher. He totally called the Moulson to Minnesota deal hours before anyone got wind of it; that was a biggie.

Yeah, but if he made 50 predictions and got one right, it's not really anything to write home about.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#77 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

Since there's no way I could say it better, I'll just leave this here http://devilsrule.co...tart=40#p193172

This garbage gave me a good laugh, thanks!

believe-zubrus.jpg

#78 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

...nevermind.

Edited by StarDew, 18 April 2014 - 04:14 PM.

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#79 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

Who's bashing? I swear you pull this crap all the time by seeing things that aren't there or happening. All this so you can come here and feel high and mighty. Stop it already.

+1. It would have been easier to hit the up arrow and score it, but this is so truthful it needs to be quoted again.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#80 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

From Tri:

This isn't true.

Shots on goal per game were slightly lower during that time but not much  (see here:  http://www.quanthock...hotsPerGame.php).  Most of the reason why the 'dead puck' era happened is that goalies got way better.

I know you weren't really watching hockey back then (Live Puck), but I was, and yeah, all you have to do is look up highlights and some full game recordings and you'll see that there were some truly bad goaltenders playing back then.  What's funny is that some guys who were considered to be terrific when they first arrived (like Ron Hextall) in Live Puck and were considered shaky later in their careers really didn't get any worse...the younger goalies that were coming up were simply that much better.  John Vanbiesbrouck won a friggin' Vezina with an .887 save% in the 80s.  The one guy who truly was a terrific puck stopper in both eras was Patrick Roy. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 April 2014 - 07:20 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users